RadioBanter

-   -   I wonder if the same thing will happen again. (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/108082-i-wonder-if-same-thing-will-happen-again.html)

Slow Code October 28th 06 01:30 AM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee Heee.

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

SC

T October 28th 06 07:51 PM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

In article ,
says...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee Heee.

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

SC

As someone that entered the hobby as a no-code tech and upgraded to
extra within a year, I feel I've earned the right to gripe. I did
element 1C at 20WPM. This 5WPM thing irks me.

Of course I haven't used a radio in a few years now. Restrictions on
antennas and the fact that 2m, 70cm and up are nothing but packet
trackers these days.

Dee Flint October 28th 06 09:13 PM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

"T" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee
Heee.

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

SC

As someone that entered the hobby as a no-code tech and upgraded to
extra within a year, I feel I've earned the right to gripe. I did
element 1C at 20WPM. This 5WPM thing irks me.

Perhaps it would put a different perspective on things if you read up on the
early history of ham radio. The earliest testing for CW was only 5wpm for
any class (see "The Art & Skill of Radiotelegraphy" available as a free
download from FISTS). While I also had to take and pass a 20wpm test for my
Extra, the 5wpm does not irk me. I simply want people to have the basics so
that they won't be afraid to pursue this at a later date as their interests
change. I want people to know that they can learn it instead of believing
the naysayers who try to convince them that it is "too hard".

Of course I haven't used a radio in a few years now. Restrictions on
antennas and the fact that 2m, 70cm and up are nothing but packet
trackers these days.

I've made worldwide HF contacts from my car so there are alternatives. I
know apartment dwellers who go down to the local park regularly and put up a
temporary antenna on these base plates that campers sometimes use.

Packet is declining on VHF/UHF. We have some lively usage for other
purposes in our area. Start a simplex net or a repeater net. Do some weak
signal SSB or CW work. Interesting things crop up from time to time.

Dee, N8UZE

Dee, N8UZE

Dee Flint October 28th 06 09:15 PM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

"Slow Code" wrote in message
.net...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee Heee.

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

SC

There are people who are pushing ahead on their code for that reason. I've
seen several postings to that effect on various ham sites. Others are
pushing ahead simply because they don't want to wait.

Dee, N8UZE

Slow Code October 29th 06 01:07 AM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

"Dee Flint" wrote in
:

"Slow Code" wrote in message
.net...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee
Heee.

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

SC

There are people who are pushing ahead on their code for that reason.
I've seen several postings to that effect on various ham sites. Others
are pushing ahead simply because they don't want to wait.

Dee, N8UZE

And there are also a lot of them drooling like Pavlovs dog waiting for it
to disappear.

CW is alway the focal point.

I've never heard: "get a license, there are fewer questions. I have heard
"Get a license, no CW required, or code speed is reduced, upgrade.

If the CW requirement were raised to 13, I doubt we'd hear: "Get a
license, code speed requirement has been increased.

Oh well.

SC

RadioGuy October 31st 06 07:56 AM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

In article ,
says...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee Heee.

Is that when you started receiving state welfare also?

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

You're on welfare you tell us.

SC

Slow Code November 1st 06 01:43 AM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

RadioGay wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee
Heee.

Is that when you started receiving state welfare also?

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

You're on welfare you tell us.

When the code requirement is eliminated are you going to rush out and
get yourself welfare license? You and your CB buddies could car
pool to the test site, then stop at Radio Shack and buy radios.

SC

RadioGuy November 1st 06 03:23 AM

I wonder if the same thing will happen again.

In article t,
says...
RadioGay wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

Back just before 5 wpm code went into effect, a bunch of hams upgraded
just so they could say their license wasn't a welfare license. Heee
Heee.

Is that when you started receiving state welfare also?

I wonder if no-codes will make a mad rush to pass the code element this
time just so they can say they're a Code tested ham, or are welfare
license more acceptable these days?

You're on welfare you tell us.

When the code requirement is eliminated are you going to rush out and
get yourself welfare license? You and your CB buddies could car
pool to the test site, then stop at Radio Shack and buy radios.

SC

I don't need to take a test. I've got a license. You don't. And
Radio Shack sucks just like you.