RadioBanter

-   -   CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century! (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/111662-cw-gone-testing-weve-arrived-21st-century.html)

Liberals R. Intolerant December 16th 06 02:44 AM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

The FCC is finally dropping the CW requirement. Now the younger
generation may be attracted - if it's not too late.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

In one evening we went from the 19th Century to the 21st Century!!!

Finally!!!

And I am a 13WPM General.

Dr.Ace December 16th 06 03:03 AM

"Liberals R. Intolerant" wrote in message
The FCC is finally dropping the CW requirement. Now the younger generation
may be attracted - if it's not too late.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

In one evening we went from the 19th Century to the 21st Century!!!

Finally!!!

And I am a 13WPM General.

You say you are a 13WPM General Prove it .
de Ace - WH2T , a 20 WPM Extra for over 10 years .

[email protected] December 16th 06 05:39 AM

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 22:03:53 -0500, "Dr.Ace" wrote:

"Liberals R. Intolerant" wrote in message
The FCC is finally dropping the CW requirement. Now the younger generation
may be attracted - if it's not too late.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

In one evening we went from the 19th Century to the 21st Century!!!

Finally!!!

And I am a 13WPM General.

You say you are a 13WPM General Prove it .
de Ace - WH2T , a 20 WPM Extra for over 10 years .

Actually, I couldn't care less if he could prove it. My question would
be if he was a 13 WPM General, why in the hell isn't he an Advanced or
an Extra Lite?

Saddest day in ham radio. Unfortunately, there's been a succession of
them, starting with Incentive Licensing, Codeless Techs, General and
Extra Lites, and now this.

K4QG, a 20 WPM, FCC examined Extra for over 28 years

X-rated Vermonter December 16th 06 09:16 AM

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 05:39:01 +0000, wrote:

Saddest day in ham radio. Unfortunately, there's been a succession of
them, starting with Incentive Licensing, Codeless Techs, General and
Extra Lites, and now this.

K4QG, a 20 WPM, FCC examined Extra for over 28 years

Ham Radio just has not been the same since they eliminated spark.

K1XV. I went before Jules Finkelman as a 15 year old and survived.

helmsman December 16th 06 11:01 AM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:44:58 -0500, "Liberals R. Intolerant"
wrote:

The FCC is finally dropping the CW requirement. Now the younger
generation may be attracted - if it's not too late.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

In one evening we went from the 19th Century to the 21st Century!!!

Finally!!!

A day for all CBer's to be proud of!

Liberals R. Intolerant December 16th 06 12:41 PM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

Why am I not an Advanced or Extra? I'm happy where I am and don't feel
like studying to get the Extra. Everything I want to do I can do with
the General.

I know so many people who where kept out of Amateur Radio because they
say no value and had no interest in the code. This change is the
greatest day in Amateur Radio.

Liberals R. Intolerant December 16th 06 12:45 PM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

You can tell the hams who have not listened to CB in quite a while. It's
about dead compared to what it was in the 70s. Hardly any truckers using
it either. So the constant reference to CBers really shows ignorance.

Dropping the CW requirement is about 15 years too late. It will help,
but young people have too many other interests now like computers and
the Internet to get interested now and they still have beliefs that this
is an old-fart hobby with morse code. Hard to change that perception,
especially when you have so many old-farts trying to keep people out of
the service.

John Smith December 16th 06 03:01 PM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

Liberals R. Intolerant wrote:
The FCC is finally dropping the CW requirement. Now the younger
generation may be attracted - if it's not too late.

Yeah!!!!!!!!

In one evening we went from the 19th Century to the 21st Century!!!

Finally!!!

And I am a 13WPM General.

Actually, the only change I really see is that now CW will be seen for
what it actually is, a talent some excel at. In todays world it has
little importance in radio and/or electronics and communication. And,
in past decades has served no real purpose, other than limiting the
numbers of members in the group. This protectionism has severed those
who wished to make amateur radio a limited group of them and their
friends, however, amateur radio has suffered greatly and lost much in
new minds with new ideas who would serve to keep the hobby up-to-date
and relevant in this millennium ...

Sometime in the future, I suspect, some who have drifted into the world
of psychotic behavior will see how silly they have been, and will become
ashamed over their past behavior.

Regards,
JS

John Smith December 16th 06 03:04 PM

CW Gone from Testing - We've arrived in the 21st Century!

Liberals R. Intolerant wrote:
You can tell the hams who have not listened to CB in quite a while. It's
about dead compared to what it was in the 70s. Hardly any truckers using

Living in the central valley in calif and near a few major freeways,
channel 17 is quite busy all day, and their is much activity even late
into the night.

It would be nice if amateur radio experienced the boon which cb did
experience in the 70's. However, I fear the importance of radio beside
the internet will prevent this from happening.

Regards,
JS