RadioBanter

-   -   looking for first radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24237-looking-first-radio.html)

Tater Schuld August 30th 03 04:26 PM

looking for first radio

going to get my tech liscence and want to know what a good cheap radio
would be to get. any suggestions?

TenTec Triton 4
Kenwood TS520
Heath SB100
Heath SB101
Drake TR-3
Drake TR-4

TomC August 31st 03 10:01 PM

My first was a Heath HW101 which was a less expensive version of the
SB-101..but, that was about 1971. I'd suggest you look for all solid state.
I have an Icom IC-730 (vintage 1980 +/-) which would be a great starter rig.
I recommend you stay away from QRP rigs until you get some experience on the
bands.

Tom, NE1R

om...

Tater Schuld September 2nd 03 05:06 PM

"TomC" wrote in message ...
My first was a Heath HW101 which was a less expensive version of the
SB-101..but, that was about 1971. I'd suggest you look for all solid state.
I have an Icom IC-730 (vintage 1980 +/-) which would be a great starter rig.
I recommend you stay away from QRP rigs until you get some experience on the
bands.

Tom, NE1R

Thanks for the info. I am amazed no one else out here has been able to
suggest a response. from what i read on the net, there appears to be
thousands of options out there, but it apears that only a few are good
for the area I am lookign for.

Bill Twist September 3rd 03 08:58 PM

going to get my tech liscence and want to know what a good cheap radio
would be to get. any suggestions?

TenTec Triton 4
Kenwood TS520
Heath SB100
Heath SB101
Drake TR-3
Drake TR-4

None of those radios would be appropriate for someone getting a tech
license. Techs are limited to 50 MHz and above, those are all HF (30 MHz
and below) rigs. If you want to learn the code, and get HF privileges,
the Kenwood is a decent radio. I've used one for more than 10 years, and
as far as I know it still has the original final tubes in it (The TS-520
uses 3 tubes in the final amplifier section of the transmitter). I always
get good comments about my transmit audio.

If you only want to stay a no-code tech, you can get a decent used
VHF and/or UHF radio(s) made by Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu, although new
radios are generally more capable and aren't that much more expensive than
the used ones.

To look up what other people are saying about used and new radios, got to
he
http://www.eham.net/reviews/

73 de N2KMF
Real men use flintlocks... In the rain.

Tater Schuld September 4th 03 03:55 PM

(Bill Twist) wrote in message ...
going to get my tech liscence and want to know what a good cheap radio
would be to get. any suggestions?

TenTec Triton 4 Kenwood TS520 Heath SB100 Heath SB101 Drake TR-3 Drake TR-4

None of those radios would be appropriate for someone getting a tech
license.

If you only want to stay a no-code tech, you can get a decent used
VHF and/or UHF radio(s) made by Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu, although new
radios are generally more capable and aren't that much more expensive than
the used ones.

Any particular models? any opinions on what brands are better, or
easier to use/understand?

Bill Twist September 4th 03 06:17 PM

Any particular models? any opinions on what brands are better, or
easier to use/understand?

I like my Icom IC-2100H. I don't think they make them anymore in
favor of a 2100 with a new suffix

The Icom 2100 series has been around for a little while, and enjoys a good
reputation.

I'm somewhat of a unique case myself. I use an old Kenwood
TS-700A 2 meter all-mode (AM, FM, USB, LSB and CW) at home, and an old
Radio Shack HTX-202 handheld for my APRS station. In the car I have a new
HTX-252 2 meter mobile, mainly because I found a new one for only $70. I
used to use a different HTX-202 in the car as a mobile rig, but the
finals blew after about ten years of daily use. I have the
Kenwood TS-520 for HF work, along with a Heathkit HW-99 novice rig that
covers the CW portions of 80, 40, 15, and 10 meters. I also have a
RS HTX-420 dual band handheld, again mainly because it was so damned cheap
on closeout.

Real men use flintlocks... In the rain.