RadioBanter

-   -   Power supplies and my ICOM Radio? (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/24742-power-supplies-my-icom-radio.html)

Bohack October 18th 03 04:51 PM

Power supplies and my ICOM Radio?

Dear friends,

Recently I purchased an ICOM IC-706MKIIG transceiver. Right now it
is mounted in my vehicle and is mobile. However with winter
approaching i would like to bring it inside so i can listen to DX
stations. I have now power supply for it, however i have 2Amp variable
power supply on my bench. Do you think that would be enough power just
for RX? I do realize if i transmit with it i will blow the fuse in the
power supply.

Someone also recommended using a car battery charger. However i
think if it comes to that, i should just purchase a power supply made
for the job. Wanted to know you comments...

Thanx,

Jon B. KB3KGS

Dan/W4NTI October 18th 03 05:16 PM

"Bohack" wrote in message
om...
Dear friends,

Recently I purchased an ICOM IC-706MKIIG transceiver. Right now it
is mounted in my vehicle and is mobile. However with winter
approaching i would like to bring it inside so i can listen to DX
stations. I have now power supply for it, however i have 2Amp variable
power supply on my bench. Do you think that would be enough power just
for RX? I do realize if i transmit with it i will blow the fuse in the
power supply.

Someone also recommended using a car battery charger. However i
think if it comes to that, i should just purchase a power supply made
for the job. Wanted to know you comments...

Thanx,

Jon B. KB3KGS

Hard to answer. Read your book on it and see what it consumes in RX mode.
Thats the answer.

Dan/W4NTI

Dave Holford October 18th 03 06:08 PM

Bohack wrote:

Dear friends,

Recently I purchased an ICOM IC-706MKIIG transceiver. Right now it
is mounted in my vehicle and is mobile. However with winter
approaching i would like to bring it inside so i can listen to DX
stations. I have now power supply for it, however i have 2Amp variable
power supply on my bench. Do you think that would be enough power just
for RX? I do realize if i transmit with it i will blow the fuse in the
power supply.

Someone also recommended using a car battery charger. However i
think if it comes to that, i should just purchase a power supply made
for the job. Wanted to know you comments...

Thanx,

Jon B. KB3KGS

2 Amps is enough.

The spec sheet gives 1.8A squelched and 2.0A maximum audio.

Dave VE3HLU

Eddie Haskel October 20th 03 01:07 AM

NO.....the Icom 706MKII-G is a power monger..draws about 1.5 amps on RX. A
few good power supplies that will power it nicely are the Samlex 1223 (20
amps) and the Alinco supplies. If you want RX only look into a small analog
(quieter) 5 amp supply..Eddie P.S. battery chargers have noise and voltage
spiking and NO voltage regulation at all.