RadioBanter

-   -   Do I need a Scanner or Do I need a receiver? This girl is confused. (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/25331-re-do-i-need-scanner-do-i-need-receiver-girl-confused.html)

Mark Keith December 18th 03 01:09 AM

Do I need a Scanner or Do I need a receiver? This girl is confused.

(Kevin Souter) wrote in message

The other issue that may be a factor: the instructions I'm following
talk about how scanners have a "discriminator" on the ear jack that is
where you make the connection to the PC. Would a standard receiver have
one too? Anyone have experince with connecting radios to PCs?

Trying to monitor MDT's? Most all radios don't have a direct
discriminator connection. It's almost a given you would need to modify
the radio to make tyat connection. If you are doing what I think you
are doing, "freq, etc", I assume a scanner is the cheapest radio for
that frequency. "VHF/UHF". Scanners are usually the lower priced
radios of that freq range. There are very few single band, or single
freq radios for those bands, unless they are commercial, or amateur,
etc.. MK

[email protected] December 24th 03 12:22 AM

Tell us the frequency and we can offer some concrete advice. Also would be
good to tell us if it's just plain phone, code, digital, sideband; what are
you tryiig to listen to?

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:03:25 GMT, (Kevin Souter)
wrote:

I'm wanting to connect my PC to a radio to monitor one particular
frequency.

The instructions I've been given say to use a "scanner" but I'm
wondering if it maybe less expensive for me to go with a "receiver" set
to the proper frequency. Since I'm really only interested in the one
setting, I don't see why I'd need a scanner - unless the price of a
scanner is about the same as a receiver.

Now if a receiver will work for me, what kind should I be looking for
and how do I adjust it to get the frequency I want? I'm assuming I have
to install a specific crystal or something. But since I have no idea
what I'm doing, I may be way off base. I hope the people here who are
knowledeable can help me learn what I need to in order to do this.

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.