RadioBanter

-   -   where/how to mount a mobile transceiver (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/25598-where-how-mount-mobile-transceiver.html)

Willian Irving Zumwalt February 22nd 04 07:12 AM

where/how to mount a mobile transceiver

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a mobile transceiver in a Jeep
Cherokee. No room in the console between the seats, don't want it in
the passenger side, don't want to replace my car radio, and the dash
just seems really out of place, so I was wondering if I could hang it
.... ?

Any ideas? Dont' truckers have there rigs like this? Know what it
would take or any other ideas I could do?

Any help much appreciated.

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee February 22nd 04 03:46 PM

In article ,
says...

Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a mobile transceiver in a Jeep
Cherokee. No room in the console between the seats, don't want it in
the passenger side, don't want to replace my car radio, and the dash
just seems really out of place, so I was wondering if I could hang it
... ?

Any ideas? Dont' truckers have there rigs like this? Know what it
would take or any other ideas I could do?

Hanging a rig is a tricky proposition. If not done correctly, the
radio can turn into a life-threatening missile in an accident. Even if
done correctly, the danger of bumping one's noggin increases
dramatically (I know this from personal experience!)

Signal Measurements Corporation makes a number of transmission
hump and other specialized mounts designed to deal with situations like
yours. Their web site is
http://www.smc-corp.com

I used one of their big center-console mounts in my van for
multiple devices. It worked extremely well.

Happy hunting.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

F8BOE February 22nd 04 05:28 PM

Hi,

Why not installing it in the trunk?

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

Tony P. February 22nd 04 07:56 PM

In article ,
says...
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a mobile transceiver in a Jeep
Cherokee. No room in the console between the seats, don't want it in
the passenger side, don't want to replace my car radio, and the dash
just seems really out of place, so I was wondering if I could hang it
... ?

Any ideas? Dont' truckers have there rigs like this? Know what it
would take or any other ideas I could do?

Any help much appreciated.

Could always get a rig with a removable head and velcro it to the dash.

Stephen Cowell February 25th 04 01:52 PM

"Willian Irving Zumwalt" wrote in message
om...
Hey all,

I'm trying to figure out how to mount a mobile transceiver in a Jeep
Cherokee. No room in the console between the seats, don't want it in
the passenger side, don't want to replace my car radio, and the dash
just seems really out of place, so I was wondering if I could hang it
... ?

Any ideas? Dont' truckers have there rigs like this? Know what it
would take or any other ideas I could do?

You don't have enough head room in a Cherokee to
mount a radio 'up'... I have a 2000 Cherokee and I
mount it on the passenger side of the center console.
The display is vertical, to me, but I can read it fine.
The radio does not interfere with passenger's legs.

There is a place to mount radios under the glovebox...
it's pretty far away from the driver, and it's not very
deep (my FT1500 might have fit, but my FT857 won't).
__
Steve
KI5YG
..