RadioBanter

-   -   Icom CM-8 battery - info needed (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/26549-icom-cm-8-battery-info-needed.html)

Zorpetus January 4th 05 11:14 PM

Icom CM-8 battery - info needed

Hi,

Could anyone told me something more about Icom CM-8 battery pack, like
for example:

- voltage
- capacity
- what is that piece of electronic inside for?
- why it does have 13.8V AND wall charger connector. Could it be
charged both ways?
- why it does have 11 (!?) cells but only (nominal, if I am right?)
8.4V
- it seems to have thermal and current protection connected in series
with cells (if somebody could confirm this?)

- does anybody, maybe, has a schematic diagram of it?

(I would like to put 7 x NiCd AA cells inside, and I am not sure if
that could be done).

Any info is more than appreciated.

Geoffrey S. Mendelson January 5th 05 10:16 AM

In article .com,
Zorpetus wrote:
Hi,

Could anyone told me something more about Icom CM-8 battery pack, like
for example:

Note that the CN8 is the same as the BP8 except the color was changed
to match ICOM's commercial HT's of the same period. The easiest thing
to do is just buy a drop in BP8 replacement kit.

- voltage
- capacity
- what is that piece of electronic inside for?
- why it does have 13.8V AND wall charger connector. Could it be
charged both ways?

yes. There is some limiting circuitry and an LED.

- why it does have 11 (!?) cells but only (nominal, if I am right?)
8.4V
- it seems to have thermal and current protection connected in series
with cells (if somebody could confirm this?)

It has a thermal cutout (a little metal can) installed in series with
the battery pack. If I remeber correctly, it was just shoved in there and
not gluded to the batteries.

Geoff.

IL Voice: 972-544-608-069 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
I may be an old fart, but I'm a high-tech, up to date old fart. :-)