RadioBanter

-   -   NMO mount reinforcement (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/64089-nmo-mount-reinforcement.html)

[email protected] February 9th 05 09:57 PM

NMO mount reinforcement

I have a 3/4-inch NMO mount on the top of one of my vehicles. The
antenna is starting to tilt toward the rear (maybe I drive too fast)
due to the thin metal in the trucks' roof. Has anyone found a solution
to this problem?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Mike Andrews February 9th 05 11:34 PM

wrote:
I have a 3/4-inch NMO mount on the top of one of my vehicles. The
antenna is starting to tilt toward the rear (maybe I drive too fast)
due to the thin metal in the trucks' roof. Has anyone found a solution
to this problem?

Put a plate under the roof, if you're willing to remove the headliner,
or on top of the roof, if you're not, to stiffen that area. I think that
under would be better for multiple reasons, and you've got to get into the
headliner anyway to deal with the cable, don't you? You shouldn't need a
_lot_ of plate -- say 6" square or 6"x12", with the long axis oriented
front-to-back. The NMO mounting nut may be enough, or you may want to use a
couple of fasteners to keep the plate straight.

--
Mike Andrews, KE5DMQ

Tired old sysadmin

Ed February 10th 05 12:13 AM

I have a 3/4-inch NMO mount on the top of one of my vehicles. The
antenna is starting to tilt toward the rear (maybe I drive too fast)
due to the thin metal in the trucks' roof. Has anyone found a
solution to this problem?

Temporarily you could loosen the NMO mount ring and look to see if the
two tabs which fit UNDER the roof metal are aimed forward and rear. If
so, you could simply turn the assembly 90 degrees so that the two tabs
now fit under the roof hole right and left side. This is assuming that
the tilt was due to the bending of the front to rear part of the hole,
but left and right side of the hole still being flat.

Ultimately, some kind of added thin steel plating under the roof hole
would be the only thing I can think of at the moment. I've seen some
plating added to the top side, which worked, but looked like heck.

Ed K7AAT

[email protected] February 11th 05 03:59 PM

Ronnie C wrote:

Thank You for the replies