RadioBanter

-   -   Pye Pocketfone 9 Series (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/64460-re-pye-pocketfone-9-series.html)

Brian Reay February 14th 05 04:12 PM

Pye Pocketfone 9 Series

"Nigel M" wrote in message
I've got two pairs of Pye Pocketfone 9 Series Transmitters & Receivers.
I want to put them on eBay, but I don't really know much about them.

They used to be used for studio talkback in a Commercial TV Studio in SE
London, but were replaced in a recent refurbishment. For security
purposes, the crystals have been unplugged, but I have managed to
acquire eight of them. The crystals are all colour coded green (as are
the 9Rs) and have values 470.1 470.2 and 470.4 - presumably MHz.

Can anyone give me any more info? Are these of use to radio amateurs?

Nigel M
G1NDM

I assume these are PF9s

Fairly detailed conversion details in Chris Lorek's book "Surplus 2-way
Radio Conversion Handbook", page 141.

Xtals a

Tx Ftx/9

Rx (Frx-10.7)/9

Looks like the crystals are HC45/u and fit inside modules.

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Dave D February 14th 05 04:46 PM

"Nigel M" wrote in message
I've got two pairs of Pye Pocketfone 9 Series Transmitters & Receivers.
I want to put them on eBay, but I don't really know much about them.

They used to be used for studio talkback in a Commercial TV Studio in SE
London, but were replaced in a recent refurbishment. For security
purposes, the crystals have been unplugged, but I have managed to
acquire eight of them. The crystals are all colour coded green (as are
the 9Rs) and have values 470.1 470.2 and 470.4 - presumably MHz.

Can anyone give me any more info? Are these of use to radio amateurs?

Nigel M
G1NDM

Seperate Tx and Rx units like PF1s. Use same technology as the PF8 and I
believe they share some of the same TF modules. They don't fetch much on
Ebay given how scarce they likely are now. You might get 20 quid for them,
that's about what the last set went for.

Dave

Dave D February 14th 05 04:50 PM

"Dave D" wrote in message

snip

You might get 20 quid for them,
that's about what the last set went for.

It's probably obvious, but I'll point it out anyway: I meant 20 quid a pair.

Dave

Brian Reay February 14th 05 04:59 PM

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.misc, "Brian Reay"
wrote:

Fairly detailed conversion details in Chris Lorek's book "Surplus 2-way
Radio Conversion Handbook", page 141.

I don't suppose you could do me a scan?

Email me direct and I'll see what I can do.

Xtals a

Tx Ftx/9

Rx (Frx-10.7)/9

Looks like the crystals are HC45/u and fit inside modules.

Can you explain what this means in terms of the markings on the Xtals?

Pye service sheets sometimes have the Pye spec crystal spec on them but it
isn't in the Lorek book.

HC45/u is the case style, not the crystal characteristics. Any crystal
supplier worth the business will know the correct specification. I normally
use QSL in Erith- tell them the frequency you want and they have the other
details.

Mike GW8IJT February 14th 05 05:08 PM

"Nigel M" wrote in message
I've got two pairs of Pye Pocketfone 9 Series Transmitters &

Receivers.
I want to put them on eBay, but I don't really know much about them.

They used to be used for studio talkback in a Commercial TV Studio in

SE
London, but were replaced in a recent refurbishment. For security
purposes, the crystals have been unplugged, but I have managed to
acquire eight of them. The crystals are all colour coded green (as are
the 9Rs) and have values 470.1 470.2 and 470.4 - presumably MHz.

Can anyone give me any more info? Are these of use to radio amateurs?

Nigel M
G1NDM

They can be converted but the receive sensitivity may be on the poor
side for amateur use (i.e. the Rx is deaf).
Regards Mike.

Bill February 14th 05 05:52 PM

In message , Nigel M
writes
I've got two pairs of Pye Pocketfone 9 Series Transmitters & Receivers.
I want to put them on eBay, but I don't really know much about them.

They used to be used for studio talkback in a Commercial TV Studio in SE
London,

ITN used to use them as talkback many years ago.

but were replaced in a recent refurbishment. For security
purposes, the crystals have been unplugged, but I have managed to
acquire eight of them. The crystals are all colour coded green (as are
the 9Rs) and have values 470.1 470.2 and 470.4 - presumably MHz.

Please note that if by "crystals" you mean the plug in cube at the
bottom then this is more than just the crystal. The crystal is inside
this unit, without the plug in they are not much use. One BIG word of
advice is if you have the TX apart do NOT touch the PCB while it is
powered up as this can cause the PSU inverter to go over volt and blow
all sorts of interesting things!

I'd almost forgotten about PF9s, I used to make them many years ago.

Can anyone give me any more info? Are these of use to radio amateurs?

If you want short range simplex or live near a repeater they are great,
one advantage is that the RX had an RF sensor that would detect the TX
and mute the RX to stop feed back. There is also an earpiece socket on
the top, if you look closely two of the speaker holes are slightly
different and these take a two pin plug, as used on many pro' earpieces.
--
Bill

Gordon Hudson February 14th 05 05:53 PM

"Mike GW8IJT" wrote in message
"Nigel M" wrote in message
I've got two pairs of Pye Pocketfone 9 Series Transmitters &

Receivers.
I want to put them on eBay, but I don't really know much about them.

They used to be used for studio talkback in a Commercial TV Studio in

SE
London, but were replaced in a recent refurbishment. For security
purposes, the crystals have been unplugged, but I have managed to
acquire eight of them. The crystals are all colour coded green (as are
the 9Rs) and have values 470.1 470.2 and 470.4 - presumably MHz.

Can anyone give me any more info? Are these of use to radio amateurs?

Nigel M
G1NDM

They can be converted but the receive sensitivity may be on the poor
side for amateur use (i.e. the Rx is deaf).
Regards Mike.

I have a pair on 70cm.
The TX is only 50mw I think and the inside antenna does not help.

Gordon Hudson February 14th 05 08:54 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Nigel M
writes
[...]

You don't happen to know why Pye went back to seperate TX and RX with the
PF9?
Presumably there must have been a demand for it from their customers, but I
can't
see the advantage over a transceiver, which is why I thought they did away
with
seperates after the PF1

One of the good things about the PF9 is you can run them on ordinary AA
batteries.
You don't need to find or rebuild nivads and chargers.

Bill February 14th 05 10:03 PM

In message , Gordon Hudson
writes

You don't happen to know why Pye went back to seperate TX and RX with the
PF9?

The only alternative at the time was the PF70 which was rather large,
the PF8 which was also large and then the PF85. There was no other small
radio. The idea of having separates was good where surveillance
concerned as they were easier to hide. The big problem with the PF9T was
the previously mentioned PSU. If you detuned the TX PA by putting
something conductive near the aerial i.e. your hand then you could hear
the inverter whistle!! Not very covert! There were also tails of dogs
reacting badly to it.

Presumably there must have been a demand for it from their customers, but I
can't
see the advantage over a transceiver, which is why I thought they did away
with
seperates after the PF1

PF1s looked pretty on a spectrum analyser though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave D February 14th 05 11:13 PM

"Bill" wrote in message
In message , Gordon Hudson
writes

You don't happen to know why Pye went back to seperate TX and RX with the
PF9?

The only alternative at the time was the PF70 which was rather large,

They could have made a valve set in the same case!

the PF8 which was also large

And very fragile. The basic chassis was solid as long as the overall
screening plate was fitted, but the plastic shell was rubbish. The first
time they sustained a minor drop the screws broke through the case and the
base cracked under the weight of the batteries. Nice radio electronically,
rather advanced for their time, crap case, crap internal aerial. No earphone
or mic socket and single channel as well.
They have quite a following amongst fans of 'The Professionals' TV series,
and a pair can fetch £200.
I know because I sold a pair on Ebay!

and then the PF85. There was no other small
radio. The idea of having separates was good where surveillance
concerned as they were easier to hide. The big problem with the PF9T was
the previously mentioned PSU. If you detuned the TX PA by putting
something conductive near the aerial i.e. your hand then you could hear
the inverter whistle!! Not very covert! There were also tails of dogs
reacting badly to it.

Presumably there must have been a demand for it from their customers, but

can't
see the advantage over a transceiver, which is why I thought they did

away
with
seperates after the PF1

PF1s looked pretty on a spectrum analyser though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Were they dirty?

Dave