RadioBanter

-   -   I got me a signal report of nine pounds on 20 meters, but then the Op corrected himself. (https://www.radiobanter.com/general/94154-i-got-me-signal-report-nine-pounds-20-meters-but-then-op-corrected-himself.html)

Radio Buff May 8th 06 11:21 PM

I got me a signal report of nine pounds on 20 meters, but then the Op corrected himself.

I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

Tom Ring May 9th 06 01:18 AM

Radio Buff wrote:

I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

GOAT

Radio Buff May 9th 06 11:15 PM

I got me a signal report of nine pounds on 20 meters, but then the Op corrected himself.

"kd5sak" wrote in
om:

"Tom Ring" wrote in message
.. .
Radio Buff wrote:

I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

GOAT

It's actually a good thing when folks come over from "the Dark Side".
When new to Hamdom it's almost certain they'll slip up and occasionally
use their old "jargon". When they correct themselves it's also a good
thing, since it means they are aware of their faux pas and are working
at improving their operating procedure and language.

Harold
KD5SAK

I chalked it up to a new op happy about working a new state. I remember
having the same feelings he had when I was first licensed. I worked all
states on CW before I ever made a voice contact because Novices weren't
allowed phone priviledges when I got licensed. It was a blast and helped
my code speed so I could upgrade to general with little effort.

My problem, a lot of new ops aren't leaving old CB operating practices
behind. That is what will destroy ham radio, The CB like behavior.

It must be human nature, when you get something for nothing, you don't
appreciate it as much, or try to take care of it the same as something you
had to work for. That's why dumbing down ham tests is bad. Having a
license doesn't mean anything.

Cecil Moore May 9th 06 11:59 PM

Radio Buff wrote:
It must be human nature, when you get something for nothing, you don't
appreciate it as much, or try to take care of it the same as something you
had to work for. That's why dumbing down ham tests is bad. Having a
license doesn't mean anything.

If we made getting a driver's license more difficult, would
people appreciate it more?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

an_old_friend May 10th 06 01:56 AM

Cecil Moore wrote:
Radio Buff wrote:
It must be human nature, when you get something for nothing, you don't
appreciate it as much, or try to take care of it the same as something you
had to work for. That's why dumbing down ham tests is bad. Having a
license doesn't mean anything.

If we made getting a driver's license more difficult, would
people appreciate it more?

no we would have more unlicensed drivers (and uninsured ones)

Indeed I think the current promotes more of an "I earned so I can do
whatever i want attiutde" than any increased respect for the rules
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

[email protected] May 10th 06 03:10 AM

Radio Buff wrote:
I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

"I got me???"

And you complain about other Ops?

Indeed.

Tom Ring May 10th 06 04:58 AM

wrote:

Radio Buff wrote:

I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

"I got me???"

And you complain about other Ops?

Indeed.

Oh come now, it doesn't count, because he was already a ham! The other
guy was just a CBer that managed to pass a test!

--------------------------

Let's get a grip on reality here folks.

tom
K0TAR

an_old_friend May 10th 06 05:54 PM

Tom Ring wrote:
wrote:

Let's get a grip on reality here folks.

you got that right

few of these poster are even within dx contact of reality

tom
K0TAR

[email protected] May 10th 06 11:47 PM

Tom Ring wrote:
wrote:

Radio Buff wrote:

I'm afraid we can expect more and more of this as time goes on.

SC

"I got me???"

And you complain about other Ops?

Indeed.

Oh come now, it doesn't count, because he was already a ham! The other
guy was just a CBer that managed to pass a test!

--------------------------

Let's get a grip on reality here folks.

tom
K0TAR

Good point. My mistake.

Radio Buff May 11th 06 12:26 AM

I got me a signal report of nine pounds on 20 meters, but then the Op corrected himself.

Cecil Moore wrote in
. com:

Radio Buff wrote:
It must be human nature, when you get something for nothing, you don't
appreciate it as much, or try to take care of it the same as something
you had to work for. That's why dumbing down ham tests is bad. Having
a license doesn't mean anything.

If we made getting a driver's license more difficult, would
people appreciate it more?

Easier EE exams will produce better engineers?

SC