RadioBanter

-   -   Jackrabbits Problem (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/117528-jackrabbits-problem.html)

Paul Burridge April 1st 07 10:42 AM

Jackrabbits Problem

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of stress from my girlfriend. The problem is
jackrabbits. There are a lot of them where we live and at this time of
year
they box each other quite viciously. My girlfriend gets terribly upset
about this and I get nagged as a result. I've tried
to explain to her that it's just nature and they're only establishing
territory for breeding and whatnot and to just let them get on with
it.
However, she won't see reason and insists I do something to break the
fights up. So I
need your help. I've decided the best solution is to build a 'bunny
zapper' type stun-gun. Now it's self-evidently important
NOT TO KILL THE RABBITS, but they must get a shock sufficient to get
the message
across that violence is unacceptable. IMV it should therefore carry
JUST enough
whack to blow their ears clean off. So how much
voltage will this application require? I assume we're talking
kilovolts, but how many?
Does the rabbits' fur resistance affect the calculations?
I have tried researching this on the internet, but it appears no one
has yet
carried out any clinical trials into the problem. So I need you guys
to give me
a ballpark figure. Better yet, if anyone knows of a commercial outfit
that
manufactures stun-guns for use
against jackrabbits can they please post a URL? Finally, is there an
ecologically sound way of disposing of/recycling all the blown-off
ears?
Thanks.

A note to the sceptics:
There is a sound scientific rationale behind my intended approach:
I'm aware that female jackrabbits select their mates primarily by
the length and lustre of the male's ears, so any male with just
a couple of smoking, charred stumps sticking out of his head is
unlikely to
be successful in attracting a mate. In this way, hopefully the
genepool of
the most aggressive rabbits will diminish over time.
Lastly, if we can get the concept accepted into the mainstream as a
legitimate
hobby or sport then maybe we call ALL make a few bucks out of it.
Let's all try to work
together on this one, guys.

pb.

[email protected] April 1st 07 01:18 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

On Apr 1, 11:42 am, "Paul Burridge"
wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of stress from my girlfriend. The problem is
jackrabbits. There are a lot of them where we live and at this time of
year they box each other quite viciously.

snip

Aren't you talking about hares?

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...printout.shtml

They may be called jackrabbits in the U.S. but I've never heard of
them being called anything but hares in the U.K.

According to this web-site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/wildfact...iles/192.shtml

the boxers are unreceptive females fighting off males, rather than
males competing for territory, so your girlfriend is going to want you
to able to direct your stun-gun at the male participant, which is
obviously going to be difficult if neither of you has yet realised
that you have been looking at male-female encounters.

A properly programmed image analysis system may be able to do better
than you can in determining the sex of the hares - it turned out to be
relatively easy to set up an image analysis system to sex day-old
chickens, a skill that humans can only acquire after a lot of practice
- but you then have to couple this to some kind of long-range non-
lethal projectile system, like a taser, with a better long range
accuracy than anything I've ever heard off.

It's not a job that I'd take on with any high expectation of eventual
success, and I've got a higher opinion of my own competence than I
have of yours, though this is not an opinion that you will share
(another one of your problems).

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Uncle Peter April 1st 07 03:04 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

Paul

What you need is a Border Collie. Besides being a loyal
and beautiful pet, they can be trained (natural instincts)
to herd and escort the bunnies off your property, making
them your neighbors problems. Otherwise, get a Lab,
they will eat the bunnies and again the problem will
be solved.

Hope this helps.

Pete k1zjh

Greg Neill[_2_] April 1st 07 03:21 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

Take your girlfriend out for a nice dinner and order
the Hasenfeffer. Your mandate may be changed
thereafter.

Rick[_5_] April 1st 07 04:19 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

"Paul Burridge" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi everyone,

I've been getting a lot of stress from my girlfriend. The problem is
jackrabbits. There are a lot of them where we live and at this time of
year
they box each other quite viciously.

Import some French Jaquesrabbits..no more fighting...

Tim Wescott April 1st 07 07:05 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

Paul Burridge wrote:
[...]

A varmint rifle or slingshot, and the introduction of rabbit stew into
the menu? You may get resolution the very first time the serving dish
hits the table. You could save money twice -- meat is expensive, and so
are girlfriends.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/

Tom Donaly April 1st 07 07:19 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

Tim Wescott wrote:
Paul Burridge wrote:
[...]

You wouldn't eat the jackrabbits around here (Lepus Californicus) more
than a couple of times before you contracted one of their diseases.
Stick to chicken. It tastes like jackrabbit, anyway.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

JeffM April 1st 07 07:42 PM

Jackrabbits Problem

Paul Burridge wrote:
The problem is jackrabbits.

The solutions a
A carnivore on the property
Carnivore urine at the edge of the property
The sound of a carnivore (a hawk) played occasionally

Piglit April 2nd 07 10:51 AM

Jackrabbits Problem

On Apr 1, 9:42 pm, "Paul Burridge"
wrote:
[...]

I'm sure this could be adapted
http://www.gophernator.com/rodenator____videos

martin griffith April 2nd 07 11:30 AM

Jackrabbits Problem

On 2 Apr 2007 02:51:56 -0700, in sci.electronics.design "Piglit"
wrote:

or this http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/Squirrel_catapult.htm

martin