RadioBanter

-   -   simple(?) question... (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/117820-simple-question.html)

Dave April 8th 07 03:30 AM

simple(?) question...

What do you do for resistors if you can't get carbon composition in the
ratings you need? I built a MFJ-1020A out of surplus and scrap before
realizing that the metal film resistors I was using had inductive reactance
when used in an RF circuit. My local parts depot mostly just has metal film
resistors, not the carbon composition devices I need. Seems I heard
somewhere that there is such a thing as non-inductive metal film, but if
there is, how do I find it? Otherwise, where can I get carbon composition
resistors these days?

Any help would be appreciated. My home-built active antenna (for shortwave)
puts out such a terrible signal it is virtually useless.

Thanks,

Dave (an RF newbie)

Uncle Peter April 8th 07 03:57 AM

simple(?) question...

"Dave" wrote in message
What do you do for resistors if you can't get carbon composition in the
ratings you need? I built a MFJ-1020A out of surplus and scrap before

I can't imagine that the resistors have enough inductance to
make any difference at HF. Plus, the reactive component
is in series with the resistance, which would increase the
impedance of the resistance slightly--in most cases that
would be more of a benefit than a hinderance; since I'd
bet most of the resistors are being used for biasing active
components, or to provide signal isolation..

Does anyone have any evidence that it makes a hill of
beans difference at HF?

Pete

laura halliday April 8th 07 06:10 AM

simple(?) question...

On Apr 7, 7:57 pm, "Uncle Peter" wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

What do you do for resistors if you can't get carbon composition in the
ratings you need? I built a MFJ-1020A out of surplus and scrap before

I can't imagine that the resistors have enough inductance to
make any difference at HF. Plus, the reactive component
is in series with the resistance, which would increase the
impedance of the resistance slightly--in most cases that
would be more of a benefit than a hinderance; since I'd
bet most of the resistors are being used for biasing active
components, or to provide signal isolation..

Does anyone have any evidence that it makes a hill of
beans difference at HF?

Lots of stuff that works should be ample evidence.

There are some numbers in Experimental Methods for
RF Design that suggest such resisters are fine to low UHF.
It's really a non-issue.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre
Grid: CN89lg pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W - Hospital/Shafte

John A April 8th 07 09:24 AM

simple(?) question...

"Dave" wrote in message

What do you do for resistors if you can't get carbon composition in the
ratings you need?

Do what the professionals do - use film resistors. Concerns about inductive
effect at HF are greatly exaggerated. There are rarely as many "turns" as
often suggested. ( cf. Radcom Jan 2007, p58, fig 1! )

where can I get carbon composition resistors these days?

They are still available. Typically, Farnell offer 220R to 4K7 at 1W - but
they are quite expensive.

John A

Ian White GM3SEK April 8th 07 12:03 PM

simple(?) question...

John A wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message

What do you do for resistors if you can't get carbon composition in the
ratings you need?

Do what the professionals do - use film resistors. Concerns about inductive
effect at HF are greatly exaggerated. There are rarely as many "turns" as
often suggested. ( cf. Radcom Jan 2007, p58, fig 1! )

As the person who wrote that article, I strongly agree.

where can I get carbon composition resistors these days?

They are still available. Typically, Farnell offer 220R to 4K7 at 1W - but
they are quite expensive.

And obsolete, because for every application there is now a better
alternative - most often, metal film.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Dave April 8th 07 12:45 PM

simple(?) question...

oups.com...
"Dave" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm. Okay, well, could the problem be the monolithic ceramic caps I used?
Something is creating a boatload of harmonics, and that's the only other
component besides the transistors themselves.

Thanks much for the input...

Dave

Bob Liesenfeld April 8th 07 01:22 PM

simple(?) question...

"Dave" wrote in message
Hmmm. Okay, well, could the problem be the monolithic ceramic caps I
used? Something is creating a boatload of harmonics, and that's the only
other component besides the transistors themselves.

Thanks much for the input...

Dave

Hi Dave,
This post mentions something that I did not perceive from your first post.
You mention a 'boatload of harmonics". As I understand it, the MFJ-1020A is
an active antenna circuit, but I don't have any details.
How are you noticing these "harmonics"? If you are hearing them from the
receiver this circuit is feeding, my guess is that either the active antenna
or the receiver front end is being overloaded and driven into non-linearity.
I would suspect the active antenna.
Can you provide more information? Where are you located, urban or rural?
What kind of system is this circuit a part of?

Bob

Uncle Peter April 8th 07 01:58 PM

simple(?) question...

"Dave" wrote in message

Any help would be appreciated. My home-built active antenna (for
shortwave) puts out such a terrible signal it is virtually useless.

Thanks,

Dave (an RF newbie)

You are not trying to transmit through this, are you????

Dave April 8th 07 03:37 PM

simple(?) question...

"Bob Liesenfeld" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

Hey Bob,

I am feeding a signal from my RF signal generator to the circuit on my
workbench. I mention harmonics because the sinewave goes from nice and
clean to "blurry" and looking "smeared" across the screen of my O-scope. I
may *be* overloading it, but I thought that would result in clipping of the
waveform. I have the signal generator set to attenuate the signal severely,
and *thought* that would prevent overloading. Maybe not...

Back to work on it some more, and try to make sure I am not overloading the
device.

Thanks,

Dave