RadioBanter

-   -   Peak-to-peak voltage for mic input? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/141425-peak-peak-voltage-mic-input.html)

dave.harper March 3rd 09 11:19 PM

Peak-to-peak voltage for mic input?

I've made a digital modem and am trying to figure out how much I need
to reduce the modem's audio output before piping the signal into an IC-
V8. I want to make sure the voltage is high enough to RX well, but
not so high that the signal is clipped of the IC-V8 is damaged.
Anyone know what the typical peak-to-peak voltage is for a standard
mic input?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Dave

Highland Ham[_2_] March 3rd 09 11:54 PM

dave.harper wrote:
I've made a digital modem and am trying to figure out how much I need
to reduce the modem's audio output before piping the signal into an IC-
V8. I want to make sure the voltage is high enough to RX well, but
not so high that the signal is clipped of the IC-V8 is damaged.
Anyone know what the typical peak-to-peak voltage is for a standard
mic input?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Assuming that the modem has an adjustable output , I would suggest you
hook it up to the radio and ,starting at zero input ,see at what mike
input level you get an output by listening to a receiver.
If the radio has its own mike being an electret type (possibly with an
additional built-in pre-amplifier) the mike input signal will highly
likely be in the 50 - 300 mV range .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH