RadioBanter

-   -   N to 3/8-24 (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/162015-n-3-8-24-a.html)

David Griffith March 21st 11 10:35 PM

N to 3/8-24

I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

--
David Griffith
--- Put my last name where it belongs

K7ITM March 22nd 11 05:26 AM

N to 3/8-24

On Mar 21, 3:35*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. *This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. *Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. *Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? *What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

--
David Griffith
* --- Put my last name where it belongs

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something
to go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a
3/8-24 stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series
5/8"-24 thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be
worth lots of words...

Cheers,
Tom

David Griffith March 22nd 11 08:00 AM

N to 3/8-24

K7ITM wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:35*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. *This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. *Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. *Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? *What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something
to go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a
3/8-24 stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series
5/8"-24 thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be
worth lots of words...

See Ebay item number 380322578383. This device connects the center
conductor of an SO239 to a 3/8"-24 bolt upon which a tall nut is
screwed. To use it, you stick it up through a piece of metal (say, a
bracket), put an insulating washer on that, add the tall nut, then put a
whip adapter in the nut. I want something like that for an N-connector.

david March 22nd 11 09:59 AM

N to 3/8-24

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 08:00:34 +0000, David Griffith rearranged some
electrons to say:

K7ITM wrote:
On Mar 21, 3:35Â*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead
of SO239. Â*This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. Â*Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. Â*Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? Â*What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

I'm a bit confused about what, exactly, you want... is it something to
go from an N connector "chassis mount" socket's center pin to a 3/8-24
stud? Or some sort of adapter to go between the N series 5/8"-24
thread and a 3/8"-24 thread? A picture would probably be worth lots of
words...

See Ebay item number 380322578383. This device connects the center
conductor of an SO239 to a 3/8"-24 bolt upon which a tall nut is
screwed. To use it, you stick it up through a piece of metal (say, a
bracket), put an insulating washer on that, add the tall nut, then put a
whip adapter in the nut. I want something like that for an N-connector.

Or just use something like this with the SO-239...

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/pro...px?SKU=2020635

K7ITM March 22nd 11 03:59 PM

N to 3/8-24

On Mar 22, 1:00*am, (David Griffith) wrote:
K7ITM wrote:
[...]

Ah, OK...what the ebay picture looks like to me is an UHF socket whose
"rear" pin becomes a male 3/8-24, so a 3/8-24 coupling nut ("long
nut") can go over it to clamp the insulating washers to the bracket.
The problem I see with that is you couldn't just make a simple 3/8-24
stud and solder it to an N center pin, and expect it would hold up
very well with the tension on the solder joint. It would be pretty
trivial to make on a lathe I'd be happy to do it, but you probably
wouldn't like the price for one. They'd be cheap (relatively) if you
wanted 10,000 of them. ;-) Then you also need the insulating
washers--maybe you get those from the existing antenna? If what I
described in the first sentence is what you're looking for, check CB
stores for a 3/8-24 to 1/8" whip adapter...

Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

If an SO239 to N adapter works, MPJA has them for about a third the
price of Allied... see MPJA # 0522-RC.

Cheers,
Tom

Geoffrey S. Mendelson March 22nd 11 04:29 PM

N to 3/8-24

K7ITM wrote:
Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

What seems to me that would work would be some variation on a U shaped bracket:

(pardon the ASCII art)

II (antenna)
_____________
| IIII |
| II |NNN
| L-----|NNN
M |M |NNN
M |M |
M |M |
| |

N is the N connector
M is the mounting bolt for the bracket.
If the wire is stranded, then there would be little or no stress on the center
pin of the N connector.

Or if you want the wire out the bottom,

II (antenna)
_____________
| IIII
| II
M|M |
M|M |
| NNNNN
_____NNNNN___
NNNNN
NNNNN
NNNNN

73,

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.

raypsi March 23rd 11 09:20 AM

N to 3/8-24

Hey OT:

Exactly what I would do almost.

Homebrew my own from a Type N bulkhead chassis mount connector as seen
he
https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...orBrochure.pdf

I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.

I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud

Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler

Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

73 OM
de
n8zu

On Mar 22, 12:29*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
K7ITM *wrote:
Seems like a better mechanical arrangement would be to have the whip
attached securely to the mounting bracket, and the N connector also
securely attached to the mounting bracket, arranged to there's
relatively little strain on the center pin of the N connector...

What seems to me that would work would be some variation on a U shaped bracket:

(pardon the ASCII art)

* * * * * * * * II (antenna)
* * * * * _____________
* * * * * | * *IIII * |
* * * * * | * * II * *|NNN
* * * * * | * * L-----|NNN
* * * * M |M * * * * *|NNN
* * * * M |M * * * * *|
* * * * M |M * * * * *|
* * * * * | * * * * * |

David Griffith March 24th 11 06:17 PM

N to 3/8-24

raypsi wrote:
Hey OT:

Exactly what I would do almost.

Homebrew my own from a Type N bulkhead chassis mount connector as seen
he
https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...orBrochure.pdf

I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.

I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud

Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler

Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

I'm a bit concerned as to how strong such an arrangement would be.

raypsi March 24th 11 08:09 PM

N to 3/8-24

https://emersonconnectivity.com/OA_M...onnectorBrochu...
I'd solder a 3/8-24 by 2 inch SS stud onto the center pin.
I'd take a stick of JB weld putty type epoxy and make a form around
the N connector and stud
Thread on a Hex threaded SS or chrome 3/8-24 coupler
Viola' a Type N gumdrop mount.

I'm a bit concerned as to how strong such an arrangement would be.

--
David Griffith
* --- Put my last name where it belongs

hey OT:

A 5/8 wave whip is sum like 57 inches in fiberglass, a gum drop mount
is pretty supstantial, my gum drop mount is like 3 inches in diameter
at the base, I used a uni multi step drill bit to cut the 3/4 inch
hole in the trunk of my Taurus. My whip was a 11 meter 1/4 wave
fiberglass whip I cut down to get 5/8 wave on 2 meters, and because
it's fiberglass makes it broadbanded from 144 to 148 Mhz like
1.2-1.1/1 across the band

73 OT
de n8zu

David Griffith March 25th 11 05:44 PM

N to 3/8-24

raypsi wrote:
[...]

There isn't quite that much room on the base of an Arrow J-pole.

I'm wondering how much loss there would be if I simply add an SO239-to-N
converter and solder the threads together.

Tom Horne[_2_] April 29th 11 06:02 PM

N to 3/8-24

On Mar 21, 6:35*pm, (David Griffith) wrote:
I'd like to modify an Arrow OSJ 146/440 to use an N connector instead of
SO239. *This would require an N-to-3/8"-24 stud. *Allen Lowe hasn't
heard of such a thing, which is why he doesn't offer that antenna with
an N-connector. *Does anyone here know if such a beast exists? *What
would it take to have some of these custom made?

--
David Griffith
* --- Put my last name where it belongs

What you may want to consider is a type N pigtail terminated with the
correct size of ring terminal. Add a wire mesh grip strain relief and
you'd have a pretty solid installation.
Alternatively you could mount a type N chassis connector to an angle
bracket and wire the center pin to a plain 3/8 24 stud insulated
stud.
--
Tom Horne, W3TDH

jewelryab May 21st 11 11:09 AM

Petrov muss in der Formel 1 bleiben, egal ob mit Talent gesegnet oder nicht. Wie sonst will man den Russen sowas schmackhaft machen? Alles Marketing. Petrov hat sich besser geschlagen als ich dachte, ich hätte aber lieber einen Sutil oder Klien in das Cockpit gehauen.

cexIcemeves June 26th 11 04:24 AM

profesjonalne droga do seryjnego nagrywania płyt CD-R gwarantujące wysoką forma nagrania zaś nadruku. zapewnia kompleksową obsługę produkcji płyt CD/DVD – począwszy odkąd konsultacji technicznych, na krzyż wykonania projektu graficznego, preparacja mastera, aż po gotowy towar elegancko opakowany zaś ustawiony tłoczenie płyt CD do dystrybucji. Realizujemy zlecenia w celu najlepszych agencji Tłoczenie płyt najtaniej wychodzi dla nakładów powyżej 2000 szt.
Produkcja płyt Cd możliwa jest we wszystkich dostępnych formatach zapisu. Album może stanowić tak jak standardowej wielkości, podczas gdy dodatkowo wycinanych w dowolnych kształtach reklamowych w Polsce. Zaufały nam instytucje kultury, uczelnie wyższe, zaś dodatkowo jednostki administracji publicznej. Niezwykłe zdarzenie krążka sięga przełomu lat 70 natomiast 80tych gdy dwoje największe firmy Sony a Philips pracowały w porozumieniu ponad ideą zapisu danych na Cd. Zwrot nastąpił w 1983 roku wraz z pojawieniem się na rynku pierwszych odtwarzaczy zwanych dyskofonami. Drzewiej tłocznia płyt Kompakt była unikatem, chwilowo jest dostępna praktycznie gwoli każdego. Tłocznia płyt Płyta cd pracuje w oparciu o zaawansowane procesy technologiczne

cexIcemeves June 26th 11 04:25 AM

profesjonalne wyjście aż do seryjnego nagrywania płyt CD-R gwarantujące wysoką postać nagrania zaś nadruku. zapewnia kompleksową obsługę produkcji płyt CD/DVD – począwszy od momentu konsultacji technicznych, na krzyż wykonania projektu graficznego, preparacja mastera, aż po dojrzały produkt elegancko opakowany i przygotowany tłoczenie płyt CD aż do dystrybucji. Realizujemy zlecenia gwoli najlepszych agencji Tłoczenie płyt najtaniej wychodzi dla nakładów w górę 2000 szt.
Produkcja płyt Kompakt możliwa jest we wszystkich dostępnych formatach zapisu. Album przypuszczalnie znajdować się zarówno standardowej wielkości, podczas gdy także wycinanych w dowolnych kształtach reklamowych w Polsce. Zaufały nam instytucje kultury, uczelnie wyższe, a i jednostki administracji publicznej. Przygoda krążka sięga przełomu lat 70 a 80tych gdy dwaj największe firmy Sony natomiast Philips pracowały w porozumieniu nad ideą zapisu danych na Płyta cd. Przełom nastąpił w 1983 roku społem z pojawieniem się na rynku pierwszych odtwarzaczy zwanych dyskofonami. Kiedyś tłocznia płyt Płyta cd była unikatem, w tym momencie jest dostępna praktycznie gwoli każdego. Tłocznia płyt Kompakt pracuje w oparciu o zaawansowane procesy technologiczne

cexIcemeves June 26th 11 04:26 AM

profesjonalne podejście aż do seryjnego nagrywania płyt CD-R gwarantujące wysoką stan nagrania oraz nadruku. zapewnia kompleksową obsługę produkcji płyt CD/DVD – począwszy od konsultacji technicznych, na skroś wykonania projektu graficznego, przygotowanie mastera, aż po gotowy produkt elegancko opakowany natomiast ustawiony tłoczenie płyt CD aż do dystrybucji. Realizujemy zlecenia gwoli najlepszych agencji Tłoczenie płyt najtaniej wychodzi dla nakładów w górę 2000 szt.
Produkcja płyt Płyta cd możliwa jest we wszystkich dostępnych formatach zapisu. Album prawdopodobnie istnieć również standardowej wielkości, jak plus wycinanych w dowolnych kształtach reklamowych w Polsce. Zaufały nam instytucje kultury, uczelnie wyższe, a dodatkowo jednostki administracji publicznej. Historia krążka sięga przełomu lat 70 zaś 80tych gdy dwoje największe firmy Sony tudzież Philips pracowały w porozumieniu powyżej ideą zapisu danych na Kompakt. Zwrot nastąpił w 1983 roku społem z pojawieniem się na rynku pierwszych odtwarzaczy zwanych dyskofonami. Kiedyś tłocznia płyt Kompakt była unikatem, w tym momencie jest dostępna praktycznie dla każdego. Tłocznia płyt Kompakt pracuje w oparciu o zaawansowane procesy technologiczne

cexIcemeves June 26th 11 04:28 AM

profesjonalne podejście aż do seryjnego nagrywania płyt CD-R gwarantujące wysoką jakość nagrania a nadruku. zapewnia kompleksową obsługę produkcji płyt CD/DVD – począwszy od chwili konsultacji technicznych, przez wykonania projektu graficznego, preparacja mastera, aż po gotowy produkt elegancko opakowany oraz ustalony tłoczenie płyt CD aż do dystrybucji. Realizujemy zlecenia w celu najlepszych agencji Tłoczenie płyt najtaniej wychodzi gwoli nakładów w górę 2000 szt.
Produkcja płyt Kompakt możliwa jest we wszystkich dostępnych formatach zapisu. Album być może stanowić również standardowej wielkości, kiedy dodatkowo wycinanych w dowolnych kształtach reklamowych w Polsce. Zaufały nam instytucje kultury, uczelnie wyższe, i i jednostki administracji publicznej. Awantura krążka sięga przełomu lat 70 i 80tych podczas gdy dwoje największe firmy Sony natomiast Philips pracowały w porozumieniu powyżej ideą zapisu danych na Płyta cd. Przełom nastąpił w 1983 roku wespół z pojawieniem się na rynku pierwszych odtwarzaczy zwanych dyskofonami. Ongiś tłocznia płyt Kompakt była unikatem, obecnie jest dostępna praktycznie gwoli każdego. Tłocznia płyt Płyta cd pracuje w oparciu o zaawansowane procesy technologiczne