Old September 25th 11, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Antenna advice please??

Hi,
I have a big self supporting tower in the yard, it is grounded by grounding
rods and of course itself. I am attaching two satelite dishes to the tower.
The most practical way is using 2x4 wood, this will work great just screwing
them to the wood and it will squeeze itself to the brackets and support
nicely. I am wondering about the connection to the tower because there will
not be grounded to the tower. There wont be any connection (metal to metal)
form the satelite dish and the tower, that leads me to believe that the only
grounding would be the shielded cable which gets grounded to the nice new
50" plazma.

My question is should i ground that? Should the satelite dish itself be
grounded to the tower? Is there any reason for this? Safety wise or
interference wise? It would be very simple to do, but not sure if I should
or want to. Please give me advice as to either ground the dish to tower or
not to. Does anyone think there will be issues? Should I or shouldn't I?

Thanks for any advice.

Old September 25th 11, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 09/25/2011 10:03 AM, Tuuk wrote:
[...]

If the feedline is unbalanced then at some point it should be grounded
to avoid "static" noise. The antenna should be connected to ground
though a lightning arrester for safety.
Old September 25th 11, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hi

The feedline is the cable coax, there is no balun or tuner inline I would
imagine. Just the simple satelite dish with dual LNB and it receives from
two different satelites.

So it is in my best interests, best viewing interests, best protection of
the new TV to ground out the satelite dish, its arm, its base to the tower
and that in turn will ground out into the ground obviously.

Simple copper connection between tower and satellite. Easily done.

Thanks for the advice.

Old September 25th 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

" Tuuk" wrote in message
Hi

The feedline is the cable coax, there is no balun or tuner inline I would
imagine. Just the simple satelite dish with dual LNB and it receives from
two different satelites.

So it is in my best interests, best viewing interests, best protection of
the new TV to ground out the satelite dish, its arm, its base to the tower
and that in turn will ground out into the ground obviously.

Simple copper connection between tower and satellite. Easily done.

Thanks for the advice.

If the tower is galvanized steel, do not hook the copper directly to it.
You need a clamp to go between the two differant kinds of metel. If not ,
there will be corosion and could weaken the tower.
You could always use a piece of galvanized wire and stainless steel clamps.

Old September 25th 11, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Simple copper connection between tower and satellite. Easily done.

I assumme you meant between the tower and the satellite DISH. A copper
connection between the tower and the satellite would be awfuly expensive and
get tangled quickly. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.

Old September 27th 11, 04:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hey OM

You should only have one ground rod everything should ground to it. So
you should ground the dish to the tower with the shortest possible
ground wire preferribly copper strap.

I you have more than one ground rod then there can be standing voltage
difference between the ground rods which could be on the order of
thousands of volts.

73 OM
de N8ZU
Old September 27th 11, 05:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 9-27-2011 15:00, raypsi wrote:
Hey OM

You should only have one ground rod everything should ground to it. So
you should ground the dish to the tower with the shortest possible
ground wire preferribly copper strap.

I you have more than one ground rod then there can be standing voltage
difference between the ground rods which could be on the order of
thousands of volts.

73 OM
de N8ZU

Not true. The "Bible" on grounding is contained in Motorola Standard
R56. Chapter 4 deals with "outdoor" grounding and Chapter 5 deals with
"indoor" grounding. 518 pages total!

We drive ground rods (usually 2 joined together with ground rod
couplers) at each corner of our buildings and then bond #2 wire to each
set of ground rods, forming a circle around the building and buried at
24"-30" or so. Another #2 wire is connected from this ring (at one
point) to a single ground buss on the external wall of the building. We
build a similar ring around the tower base. The tower ring is connected
to the building ring. Page 102 of the R56 manual shows this...

http://www.radioandtrunking.com/down...005_manual.pdf

N0EDV
Old September 27th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article
,
raypsi wrote:

Hey OM

You should only have one ground rod everything should ground to it. So
you should ground the dish to the tower with the shortest possible
ground wire preferribly copper strap.

I you have more than one ground rod then there can be standing voltage
difference between the ground rods which could be on the order of
thousands of volts.

73 OM
de N8ZU

Hmmm, Raypsi seems to be confusing Ground Rods, with the NEC Requirement
of having only ONE Ground/Neutral Bonding Point, for each individual
Distribution System, which is to be made at the Entrance Panel, or Main
Panel, in the System. Ground Rods can be, as many as a user needs, or as
few as ONE, depending on Soil Conductivity, and what is Grounded. For
some PowerHouses in Alaska, there are as many as 10 Grounding Rods,
connected with Bare (0) Phosphor/Bronze Conductors placed around the
building, and bonded to each of the Diesel Gensets inside the building.
Just Say'en.... YMMV....

--
Bruce in Alaska add path before the @ for email
Old September 28th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Hey OM:

I see it all the time out on the water. You look at why fowl like
FLAMINGOs stand on one leg in the water? Because the ones that stood
on 2 legs got eletrocuted when lightening hit the water. The voltage
difference set up between their little legs was enough to kill them.
That's why FLAMINGOs stand on one leg. They also don't read technical
books but have learned from evolution the hard way.

Thousands of years of evolution can't be over looked, FLAMINGOs know
one ground point is the best. .

73 OT
de n8zu

Old September 29th 11, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 07:38:03 -0700 (PDT), raypsi wrote:

I see it all the time out on the water. You look at why fowl like
FLAMINGOs stand on one leg in the water?

You have Flamingos in Redford, Michigan??????
Damn!!! Global warming has progressed far faster than I had thought!

HD Antenna advice? Cannuck[_2_] Equipment 2 October 7th 10 06:02 AM
Antenna advice? Ron[_9_] Homebrew 15 June 28th 10 03:50 PM
Need Antenna Advice Rob Ramm Antenna 1 June 9th 05 07:37 PM
Antenna Advice Chris Shortwave 5 September 20th 04 02:04 AM
ISO Advice on new antenna ROCH USMC CB 2 September 15th 04 04:08 AM