RadioBanter

-   -   TO-3 transistor socket (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/193320-3-transistor-socket.html)

JIMMIE March 28th 13 01:20 PM

TO-3 transistor socket

I want to add sockets TO-3 for the pass transistors in my 12 volt power supply. The trouble is I can not find current(I) specifications for the sockets. I really dont know what I should expect for a spec, guessing 10 amps for a good quality unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KD4RQE
Jimmie

Ralph Mowery March 28th 13 03:06 PM

TO-3 transistor socket

"JIMMIE" wrote in message
I want to add sockets TO-3 for the pass transistors in my 12 volt power
supply. The trouble is I can not find current(I) specifications for the
sockets. I really dont know what I should expect for a spec, guessing 10
amps for a good quality unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It depends on the socket. They seem to average about 10 amps for the most
part. Some are rated from 5 to 20 amps. There are some special ones out
that seem to be rated for about 50 amps. I think they are made for some
special large pin to3 size transistors.

Here is a data sheet on one of the 'normal' types.
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/5068080G.pdf

highlandham[_3_] April 5th 13 05:47 PM

TO-3 transistor socket

On 28/03/13 13:20, JIMMIE wrote:
I want to add sockets TO-3 for the pass transistors in my 12 volt power supply. The trouble is I can not find current(I) specifications for the sockets. I really dont know what I should expect for a spec, guessing 10 amps for a good quality unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KD4RQE
Jimmie

Pass transistors need a heatsink ,so why should you need sockets.
Connection with a PCB located circuit is usually done with ¨sliding
solder tags¨ wired to the PCB , but of course you can also directly
solder the wires to the transistor pins.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH