RadioBanter

-   -   Standard C510 in permanent Tx (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/200206-standard-c510-permanent-tx.html)

[email protected] January 1st 14 04:42 PM

Standard C510 in permanent Tx

I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to fix this?

pedro January 2nd 14 02:35 AM

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 07:42:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to fix this?

Do what the previous owner did.

Michael Black[_2_] January 3rd 14 03:48 AM

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, pedro wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 07:42:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a
fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and
permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do
anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off
again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to
fix this?

Do what the previous owner did.

What, pour various liquids into the device, press all kinds of buttons at
the same time, who knows what else?

Or are you telling him to sell it, like the previous owner?

It probably needs a reset, if it's not more complicated. The good thing
about the Standard C150 is that it didn't use a microprocessor, too bad
this is some much later model.

Michael

Donald[_2_] January 4th 14 03:11 AM

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014 21:48:27 -0500, Michael Black wrote:

It probably needs a reset, if it's not more complicated. The good thing
about the Standard C150 is that it didn't use a microprocessor, too bad
this is some much later model.

If there is an internal memory cell battery, you might disconnect
power from it by removing it for 10 minutes then reinstalling it to
see if that resets it.

I found some information on modding it. Maybe going through these
keypresses might shock it back to normal?

http://www.fracassi.net/iw2ntf/manua...dification.pdf

19-07-1998
(C-150) Standard C150 , ADI-145 and ADI-450 RX/TX mods
Standard C150, ADI-145 and ADI-450 radios are modifiable for TX and RX
entirely thru the keyboard.
There is no hardware modifications required for the transmit. Both
radios, to my understanding, use the
same key strokes for extending the TX and RX ranges. After performing
the keystroke mod on my ADI-
145, I was able to increase the TX and RX range from 130.00 to 169.00
Mhz. The ADI-450 range should
extend from 430-470 Mhz using the same keyboard strokes.
1.
Start by turning the radio on while holding the function key down.
2.
Turn the radio off and while pressing the 3/STEP key on the keyboard,
turn the radio back on, the
display should now read 145.000 with a "m" in the lower left corner of
the LCD display.
3.
Hold the function key down and push the 3/STEP key, the display should
read 10. Turn the channel
selector knob clockwise until the display read 05.
4.
Hold the function key down and press number 9 on the keypad, the
display should now read 00.60.
5.
Using the keypad direct entry, enter 30.63, then turn the channel
selector knob clockwise until the
frequency reads 30.635.
6.
Holding the function key down, press the 3/STEP key, the display
should read 05. Turn the channel
selector knob so the display reads 10.
7.
Holding the function key down, press the O/SET key on the keypad.
8.
Now press number 7 on the keypad, the display should be blank.
9.
Using the keypad direct entry, enter 30.63 and the press the PTT bar.
The display should now read
130.00. You Mod is now done.
10.
To change your TX and RX widths, hold the function key down and press
the O/SET key on the
keypad. Release, then press the number 7 key by itself. The display
should go blank (as in step
#8). Now using direct entry, enter your RX and TX limits directory
from the keypad. For instance, if
you were to input 40.69, your TX and RX would be in the range from
140.00-169.00.

While this is for widening the range of the transciever, I am hoping
that it might unset whatever set the thing to transmitting
continuously.

Donald

pedro January 4th 14 04:44 AM

On Thu, 2 Jan 2014, pedro wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jan 2014 07:42:34 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a
fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and
permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do
anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off
again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to
fix this?

Do what the previous owner did.

What, pour various liquids into the device, press all kinds of buttons at
the same time, who knows what else?

we don't know (s)he did that - unless *you* know more.

Or are you telling him to sell it, like the previous owner?

Yes.

pedro January 4th 14 04:46 AM

Standard C510 in permanent Tx

On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 21:11:03 -0500, Donald
wrote:

If there is an internal memory cell battery, you might disconnect
power from it by removing it for 10 minutes then reinstalling it to
see if that resets it.

I found some information on modding it. Maybe going through these
keypresses might shock it back to normal?

(snip)

And how may that help the O/P who has a C510?

Michael Black[_2_] January 4th 14 05:28 AM

wrote:

If there is an internal memory cell battery, you might disconnect
power from it by removing it for 10 minutes then reinstalling it to
see if that resets it.

I found some information on modding it. Maybe going through these
keypresses might shock it back to normal?

(snip)

And how may that help the O/P who has a C510?

I was making a joke, but apparently didn't remember the right model
number.

I was thinking of way back when Standard first put out a walkie talkie,
crystal controlled and only a few channels, but cheaper than buying a
Motorola HT on the surplus market, if I remember properly. The woman on
the cover of the September or October 1972 issue of "73" is holding one,
if it's the September issue it was the first issue of "73" that I saw.

It preadated by most of a decade the units that included synthesizers, so
there'd be no CPU (not that the early generations of synthesized walkie
talkies had CPUs).

Michael

Jerry Stuckle January 4th 14 05:34 AM

wrote:

[...]

LOL, I remember the old Standards - in fact I had one. More prone to
intermod than the Motorolas (and about any rig made today), but for the
time they were pretty decent. The only problem I had with it was I
never had the right crystals when traveling :)

Jerry, AI0K

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================

Dr. Oliver Welp January 8th 14 11:09 PM

Am 01.01.2014 16:42, schrieb :
I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to fix this?

It probably is the same fault as the C520/528 use to have: the
electrolytic capacitors are getting old and finally loosing their
liquid. The liquid spreads on the PCB (might not be noticable if you
just open the case and look at it) and causes short-circuits resulting
in the permanent TX.

There are repair instructions (and even repair kits) available on the
net (sorry, only have a German version here). Basically, you have to
replace those capacitors and clean the PCB after unsoldering them.

HTH. Good luck!

73s from Hamburg,

Oliver (DL9QJ, N3NSF)

[email protected] June 6th 17 11:58 PM

On Wednesday, 1 January 2014 15:42:34 UTC, wrote:
I have purchased a second-hand Standard C510 hand portable. It has a fault; as soon as it powers up, it gives 4 rising pitch tones, and permanently transmits, and displays 433.00MHz. None of the buttons do anything, apart from giving DTMF. All I can achieve is to switch it off again. Does anyone have any ideas if it's in a weird mode, or how to fix this?

The C510 had a problem with it's rubber buttons sticking on, could be one is
stuck on causing a switch on fault.
Dismantle the radio and clean the back if the rubber key pad with non lubricating cleaning fluid