Old July 3rd 03, 01:26 AM
W7TI

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 22:17:02 GMT, Tweetldee wrote:

Adios Radio Shack !! RIP

Thank goodness for Mouser and ebay.

Bill, W7TI

Old July 3rd 03, 01:36 AM
Chuck / KE4ETH

Default Had it with Radio Shack

It's a sad thing.

My local Radio Shack is run by a fellow that stocks parts. Not the RS brand,
but Ohmite and others. We have a college in that town and an electrical
engineering department, so I guess that one doesn't count. A company store,
45 miles away, has an upright cabinet with drawer with resistors, ICs, Caps
and other parts. Not a good selection, but some. Another store 35 miles away
has the same kinda drawers with the same kinda items.

The seem to want to sell (and promise the moon) on appliance items.

Chuck

"Tweetldee" wrote in message
Well, I guess the death knell has sounded for the Shack as a source for
experimenter and hobbyist parts. I went into a relatively new store (open
less than a year) today to get a few resistors that I need in a hurry.

What
did I find? Not a resistor, capacitor, transistor, IC, switch, fuse, or
anything that would be considered an electronic component was to be found.
They had all kinds of TV coax, TV connectors, cell phones, home phones,
phone accessories, satellite TV equipment, expensive toys, and a few

stereo
"systems", but but not an electronic component in sight. They had wire,
solder, soldering irons, and such, but nothing to solder the wires to.

They
don't even carry the small project boxes any more.
They're looking more like the electronics section in WalMart every day.
Ooops, I take that back... the Shack's prices are 40-100% above what

you'll
pay for the same item at WalMart.

Adios Radio Shack !! RIP

--
Tweetldee
Tweetldee at att dot net (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

the
address)

Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.

Old July 3rd 03, 01:48 AM
WB3FUP \(Mike Hall\)

And we only have ourselves to blame. How many of
us, Licensed Amateurs, not members of this group,
but individuals who hold a license, know one end
of a soldering iron form another. Radio Shack is
a BigBoard listed corporation. The Board of
Directors has a responsibility to increase
shareholder wealth. Those of us that do build
something, have other places to buy where we can
get it cheaper, and we do most of our shopping at
that source. Then comes the need for a 48.5 ohm
2.5 watt resistor NOW. We race to Rat Shack, and
then when such a "common" item is not available
bad mouth them. If they sold more components they
would carry more components. They carry a bunch
of them now, there just not hung on the wall
anymore. The parts are in 8 drawer cabinets,
depending on what the store sold in parts prior to
the conversion, about ten months ago the stores
have 4 or 8 of these cabinets. There is a lot of
stuff not in the store that they can get for you.
All you have to do is ask. The quote 10 working
day delivery (better to over deliver than over
promise). In my experience delivery time for the
non-stock item is two to three days. I don't work
there anymore, but I still shop there, and will
continue to.

--
73 es cul

wb3fup
a Salty Bear

Old July 3rd 03, 02:02 PM
Harold E. Johnson

As I say, in reality the situation has never been better! It's we
ourselves who need to change our buying habits.

Better yet of course, is SMT Ian. If you can use half an order of
FST-3125's, (1250), I can buy them at $0.22 each.

At $0.86 each in single quantity, they're still cheaper than an MCL
mixer/switch, by 5X at least. And, yield greatly improved performance to
boot!

W4ZCB

Old July 3rd 03, 02:28 PM
Al

In article ,
"Chuck / KE4ETH" wrote:

It's a sad thing.

My local Radio Shack is run by a fellow that stocks parts. Not the RS brand,
but Ohmite and others. We have a college in that town and an electrical
engineering department, so I guess that one doesn't count. A company store,
45 miles away, has an upright cabinet with drawer with resistors, ICs, Caps
and other parts. Not a good selection, but some. Another store 35 miles away
has the same kinda drawers with the same kinda items.

The seem to want to sell (and promise the moon) on appliance items.

big snip

Isn't the CEO of RS a women? I don't think she ever built a thing in her
life.

--

Reverse address to reply.