RadioBanter

-   -   VFO stability question (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/20738-vfo-stability-question.html)

Active8 July 8th 03 04:16 AM

VFO stability question

hi:

i see a lot of transmitter schems where the VFO's power is switched with
the mic or key. and i saw a test where it took 5 minutes of warm up time
for a VFO to stabilize.

now, of course a good op will be checking to make sure he's on freq.,
but aside from reduced current drain on batteries, are there other good
reasons to switch the VFO providing it's not leaking into other parts of
the rig (if it's a tranceiver) and wreaking havoc?

yeah, this is for a homebrew project. as much as i like the idea of
powering down the VFO when it's not needed ...

thanks in advance for any info on this.

mike c

Active8 July 8th 03 05:32 AM

In article ,
says...
i see a lot of transmitter schems where the VFO's power is switched with
the mic or key. and i saw a test where it took 5 minutes of warm up time
for a VFO to stabilize.

Mike-

One of the effects of keying the VFO by keying the power, is a distinct chirp.
Another method used in the vacuum tube days, is grid-block keying. A negative
voltage is applied to the grid of the oscillator tube, and shorted to ground to
turn on the oscillator. This approach would apply to an FET oscillator as
well.

Keeping the oscillator running and keying subsequent stages will usually
produce a more stable signal. However, it is not unusual for some of the
oscillator's signal to leak through and be radiated by the antenna. You can
probably imagine a CW tone that gets louder when keyed, but the pitch doesn't
change. When such a station is nearby, it is hard to discriminate between the
strength of the keyed and unkeyed signal. If you use this approach, you should
pay attention to keeping the oscillator from bleeding through. One method
might be to key all of the following stages, for example.

that's what i was thinking. key the amps and maybe dump the VFO into a
terminator inside the RFI shield thru a good pin diode switch.

mike

73, Fred, K4DII

Roy Lewallen July 8th 03 05:34 AM

I don't think it's ever a good idea to switch the VFO on or off, because
of drift. Also, unless the VFO is turned on before the rest of the
transmitter and off after the rest of the transmitter, you'll get a bad
chirp if on CW. (It would probably be acceptable on AM, and possibly ok
on SSB, though.)

Often, a VFO will be heterodyned to the operating frequency. If so, you
can switch the crystal oscillator it's heterodyned with. If it's running
on the operating frequency, you can pull a trick I first saw W7ZOI do.
He switches in some extra C or L when not transmitting, to move the VFO
frequency far enough away so it's not a bother. You've got the potential
chirp problem here, too (although not nearly so badly as if the VFO is
switched from an off state), plus the potential for momentarily
transmitting out of band if your VFO is idling there. That can be
overcome with timing, making sure the VFO comes to frequency before the
rest of the transmitter goes on, and stays there until the rest of the
transmitter is off.

In the heyday of the vacuum tube, it was important to keep things
simple, since components were expensive and active components (tubes)
expensive, large, and power hungry. Fortunately, the bands weren't as
crowded, so drift, sloppy keying, and the like were better tolerated.
It's quite a trick to mix the techniques of yore and the signal purity
requirements and expectations of today. Good luck!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Bill Janssen July 8th 03 04:56 PM

Active8 wrote:

hi:

i see a lot of transmitter schems where the VFO's power is switched with
the mic or key. and i saw a test where it took 5 minutes of warm up time
for a VFO to stabilize.

now, of course a good op will be checking to make sure he's on freq.,
but aside from reduced current drain on batteries, are there other good
reasons to switch the VFO providing it's not leaking into other parts of
the rig (if it's a tranceiver) and wreaking havoc?

yeah, this is for a homebrew project. as much as i like the idea of
powering down the VFO when it's not needed ...

thanks in advance for any info on this.

mike c

Oscillators should run continuously for maximum stability. This is true for
crystal oscillators as well as VFO's. However it is sometimes desirable to
give up
some stability for other advantages such as reduced power drain.

Bill K7NOM

Bill Meara July 9th 03 08:58 AM

(Fred McKenzie) wrote in message
Keeping the oscillator running and keying subsequent stages will usually
produce a more stable signal. However, it is not unusual for some of the
oscillator's signal to leak through and be radiated by the antenna. You can
probably imagine a CW tone that gets louder when keyed, but the pitch doesn't
change. When such a station is nearby, it is hard to discriminate between the
strength of the keyed and unkeyed signal. If you use this approach, you should
pay attention to keeping the oscillator from bleeding through. One method
might be to key all of the following stages, for example.

I had a rig in which I kept the oscillator running on key up. "VXO 6 watter"
from "QRP Classics". Great rig. The "backwave" never caused difficulty in
copying. I got about 5 W out (keydown) and about 15 milliwatts out (keyup!)
This provided some fun: If a station gave me a good report, I'd ask if they
could hear the REALLY QRP oscillator on key up. Many could!
73 Bill CU2JL
http://planeta.clix.pt/n2cqr

Active8 July 10th 03 05:21 PM

In article ,
says...
[...]

was there any shielding around the VXO or a terminator to keep the
leakage down?

mike c