RadioBanter

-   -   RF amps: tuned load in Class A? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/21114-re-rf-amps-tuned-load-class.html)

Winfield Hill September 7th 03 02:41 PM

Kevin Aylward wrote...

With all due respect to you here, why do you suppose that Win,
and with all due respect to Winfred...

Who's Winfred? :)

Thanks,
- Win

Kevin Aylward September 7th 03 04:12 PM

Paul Burridge wrote:
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:04:43 +0100, "Kevin Aylward"
wrote:

Er.. we all are. Its explained in "The selfish gene" by Richard
Dawkins. Its a basic tenet of the modern theory of evolution.

I know, Kev. I read it years ago. That is to say, I read 80% or so of
it before ripping it in half and tossing it out of the window of the
train I was travelling on at the time,

Oh, so you didn't understand it properly then?

much to the surprise of my
fellow passengers. Rather annoyingly, I can't now recall what exactly
Dawkins had said at that point that provoked such a reaction on my
part. The only other book I ever tore up was the Count of Monte
Cristo, two pages before the end. But that's by the by. Anyway, I went
on to read Dawkins' magnum opus, the Blind Watchmaker in which he
refined and to a great extent, retracted on his selfish gene theory.

No he didn't. Of course, people tighten up or refine their original
ideas a bit, but the fundamental principle is as sound today as when it
was proposed. Its basic underpinnings are a tautology, therefore cannot
be wrong.

It's a magnificent book and probably the most important one anyone
could ever read in their lives. I suggest you get a copy and study it
carefully.

Err... already have it and read it. I didn't think it was as good. A lot
of repeats of the selfish gene material. I would use all your words
above to "the selfish gene" itself.

While you're at it, get hold of Geoffrey Miller's the
Mating Mind which is his brilliant refinement of the handicap
principle in sexual selection - Darwin's 'other' theory.

The handicap principle is not really another principle. Its all
accounted for in the *general* theory of replicators. Its just a matter
of how the final numbers comes out in a detailed analysis. (see below)

Not at all. You must be one of the deluded ones. That is, you haven't
really thought about or studied evolution in enough detail. I am sure
you are genuine in this belief, but you are wrong. Of course, if you
are a believer in god or some other religion, then nothing I can say
will convince you otherwise.

I've read a great deal more about evolution than you might imagine,
Kev. Once again you fail to recognise that others might actually know
more about any given subject than you do. When this happens you end up
looking really stoopid by virtue of your monumental pomposity and
supercilliousness.

I can't agree with this. It would appear that you don't understand the
theory. If you did, you could not have possible made the statements you
did about not being selfish. Its not possible. Its simple math. (see
below)

I agree I can appear rather arrogant, but I do not do this for all
issues. Only things I really know about.

You miss the point. The term is *net* benefit or advantage. You need
to look at this *much* more deeply. Its only an illusion that one
does things for the benefit of others.

No. Dawkins recanted this. Read BW and MM.

This is nonsense. He didn't.

One must appreciate that Darwin did not know the specific mechanisms of
evolution, and Dawkins, did not at first see the *general* bigger,
picture of what genes were. The true "global" theory of "life" is not
organisms, or genes or menes, its about Replicators. The Replicator is
an *abstract* object from which general properties can be deduced about
any object that satisfies the axioms of Replicators. The theory of
replicators is correct by construction.

I have explained this quite a few times. Its based on the theory of
replicators.

Axioms:

[patronising lecture snipped]

If you actually understood those axioms, its a cut and dried case. The
axioms lead to some absolute conclusions. *Anything* satisfying those
axioms *must* result in its conclusions. All one has to do is to show
some particular object satisfies those axioms. Its like mathematical
group theory. One you show something satisfies the group axioms, its a
done deal.

Look, given sets of Replicators, if any replicator is consistently
better at replicating than another, given enough time, those particular
Replicators *have* to dominate to the exclusion of all others. For
example, a 1% advantage over 1000 generations, is 20,959. So if the
populations of the replicators were initially equal, after 1000
generations, the ratio would be 20,959/1. If a particular replicator,
happens to aid another replicator'ss replication, at the net expense of
its own, it must, by simple mathematics, be completely overrun by the
replicators it has aided. Thus true and absolute "selfishness" can not
be sustained in a system of a group of Replicators.

The theory also explains why people don't like to be thought of as
selfish. Its abundantly clear that helping others, e.g in a group, is
beneficial to the individual members own replication. For example, who
has the best chance for avoiding a kick-in on the way home from the pub.
A lone walker, or the gang of 5 skinheads.

The obvious issue with being too selfish, is that if you don't
reciprocate help, people wont give you help back, such that you cannot
replicate as well as those that do cooperate together. Indeed, this is
an example of a "handicap". A first order mathematical analysis would
indicate that helping others would be detrimental, i.e. that paricular
trait is a handicap, when in fact a detailed mathematical analysis can
show that net benefits are achieved from that trait. Its the final
probability of improved replication that matters.

Fundamentally, we *all* *have* to be selfish at the root level. We are
the result of the most successful Replicators, from millions and
millions of years of evolution. It can't be any other way.
Unfortunately, most can't like this simple fact, so deny it.

Whilst, I do agree that Win is very knowledgeable and an expert, I am
also an expert.

Blowing your own trumpet ain't going to get you anywhere, m8. When the
likes of Win, Jim

You obviously have not read many of my posts:-)

and Tony etc acknowledge your greatness, I'll
happily accept it.

Fortunately, I need no confirmation of my abilities.

Sadly, none of us can be objective about ourselves.

No. Some can, some can't. I know what I know and I know what I don't
know. e.g. http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

Who is tony? And, yes, it would be fair to say Win and Jim (Thompson) do
indeed accept me as an individual with rather significant knowledge and
experience. It would also be fair to say that I have corrected them at
times, and supplied them with knowledge also unknown to them, as I have
likewise gained a few bits and bobs from them.

I have been doing this rather a long time as well you
know. The fact that I am not an academic is not relevant. In all
honesty, there is not much I don't know about general analogue
design, although, obviously, I don't claim to know it all.

Woops! Bit of a step back for you there, then, Kev. There was me
thinking you did. :-)

Does Win know more
than me? Unlikely. Or do I know more than Win. Unlikely. However, we
may well know different things.

Well I can't disagree with you on that last sentence.

And that illustrates the point very well. Linearity is up for grabs.
Just what is the term "linear" being applied to. The class c
amplifier is non linear in detailed operation but the envelope of
the output is still linearly related to the modulating input signal.

Excellent! Now why didn't you just say that in the first place?

There is simple too much information. One just assumes that people are
using the same understanding for terms in a given context. e.g.
saturation in one context means normal operating conditions, in another,
it isn't. Indeed, in another it means the transistor got wet!

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Paul Burridge September 7th 03 05:25 PM

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 16:12:29 +0100, "Kevin Aylward"
wrote:

Oh, so you didn't understand it properly then?

No, I understood it perfectly. It was probably some political dogma
that he threw in at that moment that did it. I recall thoroughly
enjoying 'the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' up until the point
where Tressel stated that there was something unnatural about mature
men remaining unmarried.

No he didn't. Of course, people tighten up or refine their original
ideas a bit, but the fundamental principle is as sound today as when it
was proposed. Its basic underpinnings are a tautology, therefore cannot
be wrong.

Oh but he did. However, I'd agree that his departure from the original
work was perhaps more subtle than you and most other mortals would
appreciate.

Err... already have it and read it. I didn't think it was as good. A lot
of repeats of the selfish gene material. I would use all your words
above to "the selfish gene" itself.

Well I can only conclude that you didn't understand it properly. The
reviews of the book from the world's finest scientific minds testify
to the monumental significance of this tome.

The handicap principle is not really another principle. Its all
accounted for in the *general* theory of replicators. Its just a matter
of how the final numbers comes out in a detailed analysis. (see below)

I disagree. Certainly it the concept doesn't readily 'fall out' of
Darwin's theory.

I can't agree with this. It would appear that you don't understand the
theory. If you did, you could not have possible made the statements you
did about not being selfish. Its not possible. Its simple math. (see
below)

I agree I can appear rather arrogant, but I do not do this for all
issues. Only things I really know about.

Rubbish. You demonstrably know sweet FA about global economics as
demonstrated in our recent exchanges on the subject where you cut and
run like a scalded cat when faced with cogent arguments from someone
(me) with indisputable expertise in the area. You're always opening
salvos against people you don't know well enough to take on.

No. Dawkins recanted this. Read BW and MM.

This is nonsense. He didn't.

He did. Miller expanded on this aspect, and Dawkins has formally
endorsed Miller's work. Read the book.

[another patronising lecture snipped]

Read Miller's work, Kev!

You obviously have not read many of my posts:-)

Well you're obviously not stupid, but you do seem to have an
unwarrantably high opinion of yourself.

and Tony etc acknowledge your greatness, I'll
happily accept it.

Fortunately, I need no confirmation of my abilities.

Obviously not.
--

"I believe history will be kind to me, since I intend
to write it." - Winston Churchill

Chuck Simmons September 7th 03 06:10 PM

"Dick Carroll;" wrote:

Paul Burridge wrote:

I have
to say, though, that I've always found it very curious that radio hams
refer to their bolt-on, high-power, aftermarket boosters as "linear
amplifiers." You can't get any *less* linear than class C!

??? ....I won't speak for the rest of ham radio, but I've never operated a linear
amplifier in Class C.

Dick

Reminds me of when I was in the Army in the late 60s. The colonel asked
me (translates to ordered me) to fix a bunch of mobile 1KW linear amps
belonging to the U. S. Mediterranean Mapping Mission. They used them on
trucks and jeeps but they had about 10 of the non-functional and they
were desperate. The units were Collins autotune push-pull linears and
had the Collins trademark of motors gears and bicycle chains. This was
familiar because I normally worked on 30KW Collins linears.

The colonel, for his part, somehow choked up schematics and a parts list
with FSNs. Word got out that I was doing this little job (small posts
have an FTL rumor network I think). Suddenly hams on post decended on me
for copies of the schematics and parts list. I had no idea how many hams
there were on post. I'm sure it was about 5% of the total military
personnel. I wonder still how many of them built the amplifiers (sans
autotune).

Chuck
--
... The times have been,
That, when the brains were out,

Eric C. Weaver September 7th 03 06:31 PM

This discussion happens all the time on comp.dsp, between primarily
computer-science folks approaching DSP and EE types approaching it.

EE folks' definition of "linear" implicitly includes time invariance; DSP
people have to see it stated explicitly (as "LTI": Linear Time Invariant) lest
they think "linear" just means having no second-or-higher-order terms.

It is not a deficiency on either party's part, just a difference of definition
in each's respective discipline (is that enough alliteration?).

Therefore, I advise each to bend this much: Use the full phrase "Linear
Time-Invariant" when this miscommunication is suspected, so both know what the
hell the other is talking about. Now go and sin no more.

--
Weav
NW6E and other vices

Kevin Aylward September 7th 03 06:52 PM

wrote:

Oh, so you didn't understand it properly then?

No, I understood it perfectly. It was probably some political dogma
that he threw in at that moment that did it. I recall thoroughly
enjoying 'the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' up until the point
where Tressel stated that there was something unnatural about mature
men remaining unmarried.

You've lost me here. Its a been a while since I read the selfish gene,
but there is no way Dawkins would hold to such a silly idea.

No he didn't. Of course, people tighten up or refine their original
ideas a bit, but the fundamental principle is as sound today as when
it was proposed. Its basic underpinnings are a tautology, therefore
cannot be wrong.

Oh but he did.

Dose not compute. It make no rational sense at all.

However, I'd agree that his departure from the original
work was perhaps more subtle than you and most other mortals would
appreciate.

Must have been. However, as I said minor changes in position are not
important, one cant get all the details right first time.

I remember when I did not understand the details well enough to apply
the theory to picking up women. A naive approach would be to do things
for the women's direct interest, i.e. maybe the women could survive
better, and pass on her genes better that way, i.e acting on the
assumption that a women would chose if you were "nice" to her. Boy was I
wrong. A women will do what ever maximises the number of her genes. This
results in one main fact. She chooses a mate, essentially, only on the
basis of good gene stock. She doesn't want a nice person because this
would mean her offspring would also be nice, and thereby do things not
in there own best interest. She wants a "mean" offspring. That is, treat
them mean, keeps them keen The theories great. It explains quite nicely
why women chose those yobbys that beat them up.

Err... already have it and read it. I didn't think it was as good. A
lot of repeats of the selfish gene material. I would use all your
words above to "the selfish gene" itself.

Well I can only conclude that you didn't understand it properly.

No, you conclude wrong. There was nothing, or little really new. So,
"The Blind Watchmaker" by its very title tells you that it is explaining
the details of how apparently consciously designed intricate objects,
are not designed, but just a result of random process. This is a trivial
deduction to the theory of replicators. In addition, it is well
recognised that it was the selfish gene book that really made the ****
hit the fan.

I genuinely got bored with the book.

The
reviews of the book from the world's finest scientific minds testify
to the monumental significance of this tome.

I don't agree. Reviews mean f'all. Have you actually read all the
"review" on the later editions of Hawking's "Brief history of time". It
make you want to vomit. Sure, his a very clever dude, but he is
ceratyinly not a god.

As noted above, it was the selfish gene that revolutionised the approach
to evolution as to the body being a mere vehicle for the masters, the
genes and memes.

The handicap principle is not really another principle. Its all
accounted for in the *general* theory of replicators. Its just a
matter of how the final numbers comes out in a detailed analysis.
(see below)

I disagree.

And you would be wrong.

Certainly it the concept doesn't readily 'fall out' of
Darwin's theory.

Not relevant. Dawins theory has been completely superseded by a more
general view, where it all just drops out in the wash. After the fact,
it was the wrong way to approach the problem. Its unfortunate that many
have not realised this.

For example:

All of the content of Einstein's first and major paper on the theory of
special relativity "The Electrodynamics of Moving bodies" was already
known. It is why the fundamental equations are called the "Lorentz
Equations". The issue here was that they were derived based on an
intricate detailed knowledge of the *specifics* of EM theory. What
Einstein was the first to show was that all the details could be thrown
away as being just a trivial *conclusion* from the basic concepts he
identified. That is, all of physics is independent of uniform motion,
and his new axiom, the speed of light is an invariant. No one today
approaches SR from direction of its original discovery. Its simple
irrelevant.

The whole emphases on Darwin is wrong, it is a legacy theory. The
fundamental idea is the Replicator, as such, a "handicap" is just a
specific detail of how some particular Replicators can replicate better.

I can't agree with this. It would appear that you don't understand
the theory. If you did, you could not have possible made the
statements you did about not being selfish. Its not possible. Its
simple math. (see below)

I agree I can appear rather arrogant, but I do not do this for all
issues. Only things I really know about.

Rubbish. You demonstrably know sweet FA about global economics as
demonstrated in our recent exchanges on the subject where you cut and
run like a scalded cat when faced with cogent arguments from someone
(me) with indisputable expertise in the area.

Nonsense. It was just something that I could not be bothered to debate.
I have little interest in economics, other than how much I get paid,
which concerns me greatly.

You're always opening
salvos against people you don't know well enough to take on.

Ahmmm..

No. Dawkins recanted this. Read BW and MM.

This is nonsense. He didn't.

He did. Miller expanded on this aspect, and Dawkins has formally
endorsed Miller's work. Read the book.

If your claiming that Dawkins retracted the basics of Replicators, then
your dreaming. I'll have to see what Miller is specifically addressing.

I have read a few bits and bobs from creationists who claim that Dawkins
recanted on his evolutionary views. It was all crap, as he himself
explained.

[another patronising lecture snipped]

Well, obviously, you could not refute my argument that selfishness is
inherent. As I said, its a tautology. It can't be contradicted.

Do genes and memes replicate traits? Are traits continually being
generated? Are traits selected from? End of story.

Read Miller's work, Kev!

You obviously have not read many of my posts:-)

Well you're obviously not stupid, but you do seem to have an
unwarrantably high opinion of yourself.

Nope. I have a warranted high opinion of myself. I know what my limits
are pretty well. I have never attempted to ski through revolving doors
backward, blindfolded.

and Tony etc acknowledge your greatness, I'll
happily accept it.

Fortunately, I need no confirmation of my abilities.

Obviously not.

Indeed.

Winfield Hill September 7th 03 11:37 PM

Kevin Aylward wrote...

Winfield Hill wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote...

With all due respect to you here, why do you suppose
that Win, and with all due respect to Winfred...

Who's Winfred? :)

Thanks,
- Win

Obvious I don't respect you enough to remember your name:-)

But then, who's Win in your comment? Just checking. :)

Thanks,
- Win

gwhite September 8th 03 04:38 AM

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Kevin Aylward wrote:
gwhite wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

In summary, there are differing concepts of what linearity is being
understood to mean in the real world.

No again. Those who are confused about it, and can't admit they are
simply wrong about what amounts to a widely accepted definitional
matter, simply take refuge by obscuring the basics with a bunch of junk
similar to:

"therefore

Vo = 40.Vc.Vi/Re."

The simple fact is you are wrong in thinking you can all of the sudden
make up your own definition of linearity, or carry forward without
challenge the mistaken definition of others. You were right about one
thing: this matter of linearity is pretty basic. You missed it; you are
wrong, that is no big deal. The silly part was when you decided to be
condescending about it, for in most practical matters strict linearity
doesn't matter a lot -- most people know what they are doing well enough
such that the accepted definition of linearity is not explicitly
referred to.

I don't have time tonight to provide cited work (I have one from Lahti
that will be particularly useful for this discussion), since it takes
scanning and OCR time and then patch up -- I will do so soon though.
In short, you believe "non-linearity" is *required* for modulators; that
is incorrect. You confuse the time-invariance property with the
linearity property. You believe LTI systems are the *only* linear
systems -- they are not according to the widely accepted and published
definition of linearity. It is that simple. I gave you an example and
worked the solution for you, but still you resist.

You nor anyone else need take my word for it: it is in *all* the
Signals, Systems, and Communications texts I've ever opened up -- they
are wholly consistant with each other; check for yourself. Your
"definition" is not in any of them (af(t) = f(at)???). So I feel
justified in simply saying you are flatly wrong. If you could at least
post a citation from a text that has your definition and a worked
mathematical problem/solution (no "Circuits" junk), then at least we
could say it was all a grand misunderstanding.

I must confess here I made a small error.

What wasn't small is your reaction to your "small error." All that
"pretentious drivel" wasn't so pretentious given the fact it is *basic
stuff* that most who've taken the appropriate classes already know (it
was a couple definitions and an application using a couple simple trig
identities and no more really). That is, the basics which put down your
little rebellion against a well established definition.

{pretentious drivel sniped}

LOL

gwhite September 8th 03 05:07 AM

"Eric C. Weaver" wrote:

This discussion happens all the time on comp.dsp, between primarily
computer-science folks approaching DSP and EE types approaching it.

EE folks' definition of "linear" implicitly includes time invariance;

Interesting thought since a Signals and Systems course, or a Linear
Systems course, or a Communications course is often required to get an
EE degree. After all, these courses explicitly distinguish the linearity
property and the time-invariance property. And I've never seen the
"af(t) = f(at)" so-called "definition" until a few days ago.

DSP
people have to see it stated explicitly (as "LTI": Linear Time Invariant) lest
they think "linear" just means having no second-or-higher-order terms.

It is not a deficiency on either party's part, just a difference of definition
in each's respective discipline (is that enough alliteration?).

Therefore, I advise each to bend this much: Use the full phrase "Linear
Time-Invariant" when this miscommunication is suspected, so both know what the
hell the other is talking about. Now go and sin no more.

I've met folks before who think that linearity means freqs cumzoutas
must only equal freqs gozintas. But they don't usually put up such a
fuss when actually presented with the widely available and consistant
literature or reasonable arguments. This is more about fuss than
facts. Now that is consistant with the usenet.

Frank Raffaeli September 8th 03 05:26 AM

"Eric C. Weaver" wrote in message ...
This discussion happens all the time on comp.dsp, between primarily
computer-science folks approaching DSP and EE types approaching it.

EE folks' definition of "linear" implicitly includes time invariance; DSP
people have to see it stated explicitly (as "LTI": Linear Time Invariant) lest
they think "linear" just means having no second-or-higher-order terms.

It is not a deficiency on either party's part, just a difference of definition
in each's respective discipline (is that enough alliteration?).

Therefore, I advise each to bend this much: Use the full phrase "Linear
Time-Invariant" when this miscommunication is suspected, so both know what the
hell the other is talking about. Now go and sin no more.

Eric,

The really efficient dsp / digital algorithms come about with
time-varying processes. Another good bit of science is the use of
recursive filters to produce a finite impulse response ... That's one
nice way to squeeze a lot of functionality in a medium-sized IC / FPGA
/ ASIC ... or whatever.

Radio receiver (demodulation) and bandpass algorithm / code get a lot
smaller.

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

Frank Raffaeli September 8th 03 05:56 AM

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message ...

[snipped much voluminous banter]

Whilst, I do agree that Win is very knowledgeable and an expert, I am
also an expert. I have been doing this rather a long time as well you
know. The fact that I am not an academic is not relevant. In all
honesty, there is not much I don't know about general analogue design,
although, obviously, I don't claim to know it all. Does Win know more
than me? Unlikely. Or do I know more than Win. Unlikely. However, we may
well know different things.

[snipped more banter]

Does the above pose a question, or is it mere rhetoric? Could the
scientific method be applied with gusto? Are Win and Kev evenly
matched? The surname of this forum is *design*. I, for one, would
prefer to see this hypothesis tested by deeds rather than by words. On
this forum, I don't care if its spelled analogue or analog - just make
it work and explain why. IMO, no one here needs to prove anything;
however, it would certaily be interesting to watch such a *contest* if
it were all in good fun and sport.

Best Regards,

Frank Raffaeli
http://www.aomwireless.com/

Kevin Aylward September 8th 03 08:56 AM

Terry Given wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

In summary, there are differing concepts of what linearity is being
understood to mean in the real world.

No again. Those who are confused about it, and can't admit they are
simply wrong about what amounts to a widely accepted definitional
matter

[snip]
You nor anyone else need take my word for it: it is in *all* the
Signals, Systems, and Communications texts I've ever opened up --
they are wholly consistant with each other; check for yourself. Your
"definition" is not in any of them (af(t) = f(at)???). So I feel
justified in simply saying you are flatly wrong. If you could at
least post a citation from a text that has your definition and a
worked mathematical problem/solution (no "Circuits" junk), then at
least we could say it was all a grand misunderstanding.

herewith a self-confessed doesnt-know-it-all's analysis:
IF
y(x) = mx+c (even KA cant argue with the linearity (and
time-invariance) of this....LOL)
THEN
y(ax) = max+c
AND
ay(x) = max+ac

Look, you picking up on a triviality that was thrown in as a side line
and as as immediate response to a justification of my claims. My claims
stand as correct. I clearly stated what was I consider an appropriate
definition of linearity, i.e. no frequencies present in the output, not
present at the input.

Elementary Sesame-Street Theory (one of these things is not like the
other) clearly shows this "definition" of linearity to be rubbish.

This was, to all intents and purposes, a typo. I was meaning to refer to
a simple constant gain transfer function. Is it really credible, given
that you are obviously aware of my GR papers, that I am to stupid to
know standard definition of linearity.

However, it would seem that you are another one of those sad people who
think

y=x^2

is a linear equation between x and y.

gwhite most certainly has it correct. KA does not.

Dream on. This is bloody absurd.

www.google.com "nonlinear differential equations" 22,000 hits.

You need to get to grips with than fact that the term "linear" is being
used with two different meanings, where *both* meanings are perfectly
valid in their own contexts. Look, I know what gwite white means, its
trivial. It is also trivial to understand that it is not applicable to
analogue design of amplifies.

Next you'll be declaring that "homogeneous" only, means the one specific
definition as used in differential equations. Or how about "canonical"

as a slight aside, I have read H&H about 8 times, and will continue
to do so - it is one of the more useful books on electronics I have
ever bought (and I have about 600 of them). If you do not have that
book - GO AND BUY IT!! I even met WINFIELD Hill at an MIT junkfest
once a few years ago, and had an interesting discussion with him
about my work on high-speed PMSM energy storage flywheels and giant
SMPS. That guy is really smart - I suggest anyone reading this forum
should pay close attention to win's postings (i sure do). As far as
being an "academic" - well, go read H&H - its beauty lies in its
practicality, unlike most texts. Just because someone works in
academia, doesnt mean they are useless (although to be fair, its
usually not a bad first guess).

I hope you not suggesting that I have any negative opinions of Win
because I claimed that I was not an academic.

Likewise I have met plenty of
blithering idiots out doing "real" engineering (its a good thing -
competent people end up being well paid to fix their screw-ups). The
worst ones tend to work in sales (I presume its because they cant get
real jobs)

Really this entire thread has done little more than allow Kevin
Aylward to appear like a pompous idiot, with a somewhat limited
understanding. A BSc and half-a-dozen MSc courses (one A - wow. I
remember those - they are what you get if you dont do well enough for
an A+) simply makes for a failed MSc. Of all the pomposities, I just
loved this one:

No this one is about gwhite being a pretentious prat trying to impress
everyone with a fancy mathematical definition of linearity that has
little or zero relevance in this context, i.e analogue design of
amplifiers. He has *yet* to show how said class A amplifier, as he
claimed, can form a modulator without relying on the fact that the
transfer function of the transistor is non-linear. He has simple
attempted to obscure the issues by making irrelevant technical points.

In all honesty, there is not much I don't know about general
analogue design, although, obviously, I don't claim to know it all.

It kind of makes one wonder just how KA knows there isnt much he
doesnt know.

why do I post on these newsboards? am I being selfish? I dont think
so.

Not consciously, but inherently, there is no other way, that is not if
you believe in evolution, i.e if you are one of those creationists.

Kevin Aylward September 8th 03 09:59 AM

gwhite wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Kevin Aylward wrote:
gwhite wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

In summary, there are differing concepts of what linearity is being
understood to mean in the real world.

No again.

No right again.

Those who are confused about it, and can't admit they are
simply wrong about what amounts to a widely accepted definitional
matter, simply take refuge by obscuring
the basics with a bunch of
junk similar to:

"therefore

Vo = 40.Vc.Vi/Re."

Oh dear..oh dear...You claimed that the class A amp was a modulator an
achieved this modulation by way of linear means, you fail to present
your proof of this claim, and then spout of with mathematical waffle,
and claim that I am being obscure?

I clearly showed how the class A amp achieved modulation based on the
non-linear relation of emitter current verses base emitter voltage. The
fact that you have failed to give an alternative mathematically proof
indicates quite clearly that you ****ing in the wind.

Present you argument of exactly how your claim is correct, or retract
you claim.

The simple fact is you are wrong in thinking you can all of the sudden
make up your own definition of linearity, or carry forward without
challenge the mistaken definition of others.

Absolute crap. Show me one respectable math reference that says if
y=exp(x), that y is a linear function of x.

You were right about one
thing: this matter of linearity is pretty basic.

Indeed it is.

You missed it; you
are wrong, that is no big deal.

Indeed its not. My SuperSpice works quite nicely based on the well known
theory of the solution of non-linear differential equations.

The silly part was when you decided
to be condescending about it, for in most practical matters strict
linearity doesn't matter a lot -- most people know what they are
doing well enough such that the accepted definition of linearity is
not explicitly referred to.

I don't have time tonight to provide cited work (I have one from Lahti
that will be particularly useful for this discussion), since it takes
scanning and OCR time and then patch up -- I will do so soon though.
In short, you believe "non-linearity" is *required* for modulators;

Show me one real practical example that does not use a device with a
functional relation between input and output voltage/current that is
linear, as I defined above. As did note as an after thought, it may be
possible in principle, for example, maybe one could construct a true,
linear with voltage, voltage controlled resistor. However, I am not
aware of such magic devices.

The physical reality is that it is not possible. Produce one and I will
retract my claim.

that is incorrect. You confuse the time-invariance property with the
linearity property. You believe LTI systems are the *only* linear
systems -- they are not according to the widely accepted and published
definition of linearity.

No. Linearity is widely understood to have many definitions. I have
explained some of these already.

It is that simple.

Nope. Its not. Linearity has many definitions. In the context of
analogue design, linearity is defined based on where the is a non
straight line between input and output. The whole subject of non-linear
differential equations in spice is based on this concept.

I gave you an example
and worked the solution for you, but still you resist.

Look, I have no problem with your example of a particular definition of
linearity. I already explained how such an example is meaningless in
analogue design by giving an example.

A mathematical definition only has meaning if it is useful when it is
applied. In analogue design this definition is useless, so it is not
used.

You nor anyone else need take my word for it: it is in *all* the
Signals, Systems, and Communications texts I've ever opened up -- they
are wholly consistant with each other; check for yourself.

I don't care a toss about and communication texts. I care about
linearity as understood in the solution of the non-linear differential
equations used in Spice. I suggest that you read some of the many papers
on the solution of such equations.

Look, I don't claim that the particular definition of linearity that you
presence is "wrong" in principle. It is a very well known definition.
However, it is one of many, and is simple not applicable in this
context.

Your
"definition" is not in any of them (af(t) = f(at)???).

I did not say that this was a definition. This was just thrown in as
side line, and I said as much. This was, to all intents and purposes, a
typo. I was meaning to refer to a simple constant gain transfer
function. I clearly said that linearity, as defined in analogue design,
is essentially defined by the absence of any frequencies in the output
not present in the input.

So I feel
justified in simply saying you are flatly wrong.

No. You is you. You have singularly failed to show how your class a amp
is a modulator without using a non-linear relation between input
voltage/current to output voltage/current. If you claim that y=exp(x) is
a linear relation between x an y, further debate is pointless. You don't
the first thing about math.

If you could at
least post a citation from a text that has your definition and a
worked mathematical problem/solution (no "Circuits" junk), then at
least we could say it was all a grand misunderstanding.

www.google.com "nonlinear equations"

www.google.com "nonlinear differential equations" 22,000 hits.

You problem is that you are trying to argue a different point and simple
don't see it. You were off on a roll trying to impress people which
mathematical technicalities that are simple irrelevant in the context of
this original discussion. In short, you are a smart arse.

I must confess here I made a small error.

What wasn't small is your reaction to your "small error." All that
"pretentious drivel" wasn't so pretentious given the fact it is *basic
stuff* that most who've taken the appropriate classes already know

I know all about your definition. I dont disagree that it is a valid
definition in some contexts. However, it is not applicable to electronic
circuit design that is based on the solution of non-linear differential
equations, with the "non-linear" term having a universally accepted
meaning by the 10,000s of mathematician who actually study such
equations.

(it
was a couple definitions and an application using a couple simple trig
identities and no more really).

So basic that you can stand there and declare that:

Y=x^2

is a linear equation. Yeah...LOL. get real.

The meat:

You arnt wrong in this thread because of you particular claim of
linearity. You are wrong because the fundamental claim that you made was
that your class A amp was a modulator that did not rely on the
non-linear transfer function of the emitter current verses Vbe. You have
absolutely failed to explain any exact *details* to support your claim.
That is, show me a specific analysis of the amplifier, without the
irrelevant mathematical waffle, that shows that:

Vo = V(t)(1+ a.sin(wt))

I will accept the argument that you simply misunderstood my, very common
definition of linearity, i.e. y=x^2 is a non-linear equation relation x
to y in *any* mathematical book you care to name, with a linearity
definition more appropriate to general systems analysis.

In closing:

The real reason for this disagreement is that you are talking apples and
I am talking fish net stockings. You are applying the term linearity in
a completely different sense than the one I am using. Both are valid in
principle, and are indeed well accepted, under their appropriate
conditions. The issue however, is that I have made an effort to actually
explain in other posts, what the distinction is, but you are simple too
closed minded or too stupid to understand. In this particular case,
modulation is, in practise, universally achieved by a non-linear
transfer function. That is y=f(x) is non-linear as defined in any math
text book you care to name. Its simple not debatable. However, applying
signals to such a transfer function, can result in the condition, that
given that a certain output is required, non-linearly related to the
input in the strict sense, this output is linearly related to the input
signals. That is, if a certain input gives an output, the sum of two
inputs, give the same output as the individual output sums. In this
sense it may be said to be linear. That is the wanted summed output is
the wanted output of the individual inputs. In one case the term
linearity is being applied to the fact that the output is not a direct
linear function of the input, in the other case, the term linearity is
being applied to the fact the wanted output is is a linear function of
the input sums. That is, in one case, the term linearity is being
applied to the specifics of a system part, where as in the second case
linearity is being applied to a system wide property. What seems to
defies rational belief, is that you seem totally oblivious to the fact
that the term linearity is being applied to two completely different
aspects of a system, and cant be directly compared as to which one is
more valid then another.

Kevin Aylward September 8th 03 10:58 AM

gwhite wrote:
"Eric C. Weaver" wrote:

This discussion happens all the time on comp.dsp, between primarily
computer-science folks approaching DSP and EE types approaching it.

EE folks' definition of "linear" implicitly includes time invariance;

Interesting thought since a Signals and Systems course, or a Linear
Systems course, or a Communications course is often required to get an
EE degree. After all, these courses explicitly distinguish the
linearity property and the time-invariance property. And I've never
seen the "af(t) = f(at)" so-called "definition" until a few days ago.

Your a liar. Its that simple. I clearly stated that it was *not* a
definition. It was simply trying to illustrate the concept of constant
gain. You expanding on some trivial minor point to avoid answering the
main issue, to wit, you have failed to disprove my claim on your class A
amplifier.

DSP
people have to see it stated explicitly (as "LTI": Linear Time
Invariant) lest they think "linear" just means having no
second-or-higher-order terms.

It is not a deficiency on either party's part, just a difference of
definition in each's respective discipline (is that enough
alliteration?).

Therefore, I advise each to bend this much: Use the full phrase
"Linear Time-Invariant" when this miscommunication is suspected, so
both know what the hell the other is talking about.

Absolute crap. The notion that y=x^2 is a non-linear equation is
universally accepted by anyone who has done even the slightest bit of
theory on basic algebraic equations. It does not require any
qualification in the slightest.

Now go and sin
no more.

I've met folks before who think that linearity means freqs cumzoutas
must only equal freqs gozintas. But they don't usually put up such a
fuss when actually presented with the widely available and consistant
literature or reasonable arguments. This is more about fuss than
facts.

Indeed. So why *are* you putting up such a fuss about notions that are
widely held in the literature. Show me one, and I mean just one, that
declares y=x^2 a linear equation.

Kevin Aylward September 8th 03 10:58 AM

Frank Raffaeli wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message

[snipped much voluminous banter]

Whilst, I do agree that Win is very knowledgeable and an expert, I am
also an expert. I have been doing this rather a long time as well you
know. The fact that I am not an academic is not relevant. In all
honesty, there is not much I don't know about general analogue
design, although, obviously, I don't claim to know it all. Does Win
know more than me? Unlikely. Or do I know more than Win. Unlikely.
However, we may well know different things.

[snipped more banter]

Does the above pose a question, or is it mere rhetoric? Could the
scientific method be applied with gusto? Are Win and Kev evenly
matched?

I don't know. How tall is he, I'm only 5'8"

Kevin Aylward September 8th 03 01:33 PM

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Terry Given wrote:

herewith a self-confessed doesnt-know-it-all's analysis:
IF
y(x) = mx+c (even KA cant argue with the linearity (and
time-invariance) of this....LOL)
THEN
y(ax) = max+c
AND
ay(x) = max+ac

The more I look at this, the more I realise that I am over the heads of
you guys. I am making standard assumptions, and because some individuals
are simple not conversant with common knowledge in the field, make what
are, basically Jesus wept statements.

For starters, there is obviously confusion here on sufficiency and
necessesity. If a function satisfies a(f(x)) = f(ax) is it guaranteed to
be linear? Now, we are discussing practical modulators/amplifiers. Do we
care about dc offsets? For those knowledgeable in the field, do we
usually need to actually specify that dc offsets are being ignored in
normal explanations? for instance, do we usually use a capacitor to
eliminate them?

I must apologise for this. I need to be more aware that many are not
aware of common assumptions, that are taken as read, by those
individuals, who, for example, have been doing analogue design, for
example, for 20+ years.

gwhite September 8th 03 06:23 PM

Kevin Aylward wrote:

gwhite wrote:
"Eric C. Weaver" wrote:

This discussion happens all the time on comp.dsp, between primarily
computer-science folks approaching DSP and EE types approaching it.

EE folks' definition of "linear" implicitly includes time invariance;

Interesting thought since a Signals and Systems course, or a Linear
Systems course, or a Communications course is often required to get an
EE degree. After all, these courses explicitly distinguish the
linearity property and the time-invariance property. And I've never
seen the "af(t) = f(at)" so-called "definition" until a few days ago.

Your a liar.

LOL.

Its that simple. I clearly stated that it was *not* a
definition.

"Linearity can more easily be expressed as: a(f(t)) = f(at)" -- Kevin
Aylward

I think someone is posting under your name. A nasty bit of business
that is.

It was simply trying to illustrate the concept of constant
gain. You expanding on some trivial minor point to avoid answering the
main issue, to wit, you have failed to disprove my claim on your class A
amplifier.

Class A works just fine in multipliers/modulators -- "non-linearity" of
circuit elements is not required. Maybe you can analyze the old
MC1496. That would be enlightening to you. But more important and more
simple (it will save you loads of time), just apply *the* linearity test
for

h(t)
x(t) - y(t).

No ****, by why are you rambling on and on about it?

Show me one, and I mean just one, that
declares y=x^2 a linear equation.

That is clever -- you want me to "declare" something is true that I've
made no reference to. You are quite the inventor. Face it: you had an
incorrect notion about linearity. All the rest of your words are
twisting, squirming, and turning to try to save face after you acted
condescending (and still do) about a very simple matter. That's all.

gwhite September 8th 03 08:12 PM

Kevin Aylward wrote:

It is that simple.

Nope. Its not. Linearity has many definitions.

It doesn't have "many definitions" when it comes to the EE profession.
The one definition is wholly consistant across academic texts -- without
known contradiction. Everyone who took courses like Circuits, Fields
and Waves, and on and on, also took a Signals and Systems (or similar
under a different name) course. That some, such as you for example,
didn't learn or understand the definition is notwithstanding.

Look, I have no problem with your example of a particular definition of
linearity. I already explained how such an example is meaningless in
analogue design by giving an example.

A mathematical definition only has meaning if it is useful when it is
applied. In analogue design this definition is useless, so it is not
used.

It is useful to the extent modulation is a linear operation produced by
devices such as gilbert cells biased to Class-A. It is very useful
definition: for example, high data rate modern digital communications
systems routinely utilize linear modulation/demodulation.

It doesn't even matter if the upper transistors in the gilbert cells are
driven to the switch mode (switch mode is not a requirement; class-A
will do) by the LO. It is still linear modulation.

This system is linear:

The System
+---------------+
| |
in | /¯¯¯\ | out
x(t) O--------( X )---------O y(t)
| \___/ |
| | |
| | |
| O |
| cos(w_c·t) |
+---------------+

This one is not:

The System
+---------------------+
| |
in | /¯¯¯\ /¯¯¯\ | out
x(t) O--------( X )--( + )-------O y(t)
| \___/ \___/ |
| | | |
| +--------+ |
| | |
| O |
| cos(w_c·t) |
+---------------------+

Do you know why?

Hint: it has nothing to do with any "exp(x)" or other solid state
issues.

Sheesh -- no ****!

I care about
linearity as understood in the solution of the non-linear differential
equations used in Spice.

Like I said early on: you can make the answer come out however you want
if you are permitted to make up the rules and change them as you play.

Look, I don't claim that the particular definition of linearity that you
presence is "wrong" in principle. It is a very well known definition.
However, it is one of many, and is simple not applicable in this
context.

It is the definition for the EE profession.

I clearly said that linearity, as defined in analogue design,
is essentially defined by the absence of any frequencies in the output
not present in the input.

That "definition" is incorrect, as has been pointed out already.

You were off on a roll trying to impress people which
mathematical technicalities that are simple irrelevant
in the context of this original discussion.

Right. I was trying to "impress" by using a couple of trig identities.
LOL

I know all about your definition. I dont disagree that it is a valid
definition in some contexts.

It is the definition for the EE context. If you want an LTI system,
then so be it.

However, it is not applicable to electronic
circuit design that is based on the solution of non-linear differential
equations, with the "non-linear" term having a universally accepted
meaning by the 10,000s of mathematician who actually study such
equations.

It is not a matter of a mathematician's characterization of equations.
It is the EE characterization, and this is largely an EE forum. If you
are a mathematician and not an EE, then I can see why you would believe
what you do.

You arnt wrong in this thread because of you particular claim of
linearity.

It isn't "my claim." It is the standard definition for EE's. That some
EE's didn't quite "get it" is notwithstanding.

The real reason for this disagreement is that you are talking apples and
I am talking fish net stockings. You are applying the term linearity in
a completely different sense than the one I am using. Both are valid in
principle, and are indeed well accepted, under their appropriate
conditions.

Your definition is not the EE definition.

That is y=f(x) is non-linear as defined in any math
text book you care to name.

This is a matter of EE definition. Recall how you sniped about the EE
courses I apparently didn't take "with all due respect."

"A linear system, cannot produce frequencies that are not in the input,
essentially, by definition. With all due respect, I would guess you
don't have an EE B.S. degree. This is all pretty basic stuff really."
-- Kevin Aylward

So you originally sniped about my education in electrical engineering,
and then ignore those very same basics taught in all EE curriculums, and
then turn course and take refuge in a math text. Okay, Kevin, have it
your way.

Paul Burridge September 8th 03 09:55 PM

wrote:

Oh, so you didn't understand it properly then?

No, I understood it perfectly. It was probably some political dogma
that he threw in at that moment that did it. I recall thoroughly
enjoying 'the Ragged Trousered Philanthropists' up until the point
where Tressel stated that there was something unnatural about mature
men remaining unmarried.

You've lost me here. Its a been a while since I read the selfish gene,
but there is no way Dawkins would hold to such a silly idea.

I'm not suggesting he held *this* particular loony idea. The example
from Tressel was only that; an example.

No he didn't. Of course, people tighten up or refine their original

Must have been. However, as I said minor changes in position are not
important, one cant get all the details right first time.

Indeed. Hence the re-think between the books. They were what? 10 years
apart? People move on and refine their ideas. You should read
Wittgenstein to see how far a man can change his outlook over the
course of his life!

I remember when I did not understand the details well enough to apply
the theory to picking up women. A naive approach would be to do things
for the women's direct interest, i.e. maybe the women could survive
better, and pass on her genes better that way, i.e acting on the
assumption that a women would chose if you were "nice" to her. Boy was I
wrong. A women will do what ever maximises the number of her genes.

I think you've phrased that rather poorly but I believe I know what
you mean.

This
results in one main fact. She chooses a mate, essentially, only on the
basis of good gene stock. She doesn't want a nice person because this
would mean her offspring would also be nice, and thereby do things not
in there own best interest. She wants a "mean" offspring. That is, treat
them mean, keeps them keen The theories great. It explains quite nicely
why women chose those yobbys that beat them up.

Can't agree there. Women are basically genetically obliged to pick the
best mate they can get their hands on, given the limitations imposed
by their own pulling abilities. What they are looking for in every
case is a mate who can give their offspring the best chance of
survival and 'thrival' in this wide, mean world. Interestingly enough,
the qualities the male must display to succeed change according to
different ages (historical ages, not biological) and cultures. At
varying times, men have been favoured because of, for example, they're
exceptionally good fighters. Or unusually good hunters... later in
history, we see female preferences based on wealth and status. But in
countries where for idealogical reasons, all people are 'made to be
equal' like the old Soviet Union or the 'old' China, females must pick
according to other criteria such as a gift for literature, music or
art. They're all programmed to do their best for the unborn child,
even if they don't want children at all or are too old to conceive.

No, you conclude wrong. There was nothing, or little really new. So,
"The Blind Watchmaker" by its very title tells you that it is explaining
the details of how apparently consciously designed intricate objects,
are not designed, but just a result of random process. This is a trivial
deduction to the theory of replicators. In addition, it is well
recognised that it was the selfish gene book that really made the ****
hit the fan.

I genuinely got bored with the book.

boggle!

I don't agree. Reviews mean f'all. Have you actually read all the
"review" on the later editions of Hawking's "Brief history of time". It
make you want to vomit. Sure, his a very clever dude, but he is
ceratyinly not a god.

I didn't say he was. In fact he admitted to wasting much time working
on 'singularities' with Roger Penrose donkey's years ago.

As noted above, it was the selfish gene that revolutionised the approach
to evolution as to the body being a mere vehicle for the masters, the
genes and memes.

Let's just put it down to a matter of personal preference, then.

[not particularly relevant Einstein example snipped]

The whole emphases on Darwin is wrong, it is a legacy theory. The
fundamental idea is the Replicator, as such, a "handicap" is just a
specific detail of how some particular Replicators can replicate better.

I'm not sure what you're driving at here but I don't like the sound of
it.

Rubbish. You demonstrably know sweet FA about global economics as
demonstrated in our recent exchanges on the subject where you cut and
run like a scalded cat when faced with cogent arguments from someone
(me) with indisputable expertise in the area.

Nonsense. It was just something that I could not be bothered to debate.
I have little interest in economics, other than how much I get paid,
which concerns me greatly.

LOL! Yeah, whatever. You quit while you were behind. You should have
quit earlier but I think you just about backed out before you
sustained any terminal damage. :-)

If your claiming that Dawkins retracted the basics of Replicators, then
your dreaming. I'll have to see what Miller is specifically addressing.

I'm suggesting no such thing. I'm simply saying that Dawkins softened
his line of selfishness a good measure from the position you wrongly
(now) attribute to him.

I have read a few bits and bobs from creationists who claim that Dawkins
recanted on his evolutionary views. It was all crap, as he himself
explained.

Yes I know. The attempts were laughable.

Well, obviously, you could not refute my argument that selfishness is
inherent. As I said, its a tautology. It can't be contradicted.

Okay, well let's put you this question: if everyone is basically
selfish, why do some people help other people out on newsgroups?
I think I know what your answer will be but I want to see it from you
yourself in black and white. And don't be afraid this time, Kev.
Evolution's not my specialist area. :-)