Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 21st 03, 09:25 PM
mike

Default Static discharge protection questions

Hey group,

I have a portable radio with no external ground.

Recently I built a PI network antenna tuner in a metal box and
included an output for earth ground. So the outer sheild of my coax
inputs as well as outputs and the variable capacitor frames are on
this ground to earth. The random wire input goes strait to the tuning
capacitor thus needs some kind of static drain off.

I have heard using a neon bulb and a 2 watt 2.2k ohm resistor in
between the inputs and ground would discharge static buildup and give
me some warning of build up conditions.

I am also concerned about limiting the voltage to the receiver front
end to prevent damage. I have heard installing back to back high speed
diodes between the imputs and ground would acheive this.

I understand everything but the diodes. What does back to back mean. I
recall diodes are one way, but which way goes where? Should I look for
a certain type or rating of diode?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

AR88 Restoration project: Some Questions. joe landy Boatanchors 6 November 26th 04 03:10 PM
Extra Class License Study Material Drink Antenna 13 February 19th 04 08:29 PM
Road static? John Smith Antenna 19 January 11th 04 03:55 PM
FM Reception Static Problem mBird Antenna 2 October 19th 03 03:41 PM
BEWARE SPENDING TIME ANSWERING QUESTIONS HERE (WAS Electronic Questions) CW Antenna 1 September 5th 03 06:20 PM