RadioBanter

-   -   need homebrew microphone ideas/help (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/21468-need-homebrew-microphone-ideas-help.html)

Roln October 23rd 03 02:55 AM

need homebrew microphone ideas/help

I've heard a few hams on the HF bands using homebrew microphones and I thot
they sounded great.
I understand most are made from a Radio Shack (or other source) Electet mic
element, which is inexpensive.

I've searched the net looking for detailed plans on building a mic, but have
only found a few pictures of finished mics. There was an article in QST
showing several mics a guy built. I have a couple ARRL hand books, but
none have info on homebrew mics.

What I need is detailed plans and not the pictures of finished mics. How do
I mount the cartridge? How are the components wired? I have the mic
cartridge and plug for my Icom rig, but still need a mic cord a few feet in
length. How many conductors should the mic cable have? I saw somewhere
the needed voltage is obtained from the rig, but a resistor may be needed.
A capacitor or two is also needed and possibly a mic pre amp??

Perhaps someone in this newsgroup has built a mic and can give some help.

Thanks and 73

Roln