RadioBanter

-   -   Weller TC-201P & later irons (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/21950-weller-tc-201p-later-irons.html)

G.Beat December 21st 03 11:24 PM

Weller TC-201P & later irons

Comments Apply to the Weller WTCP series of soldering stations:
-------------
Weller / Cooper Tools changed the style and construction of the North
American version of the TCP irons during the 1980's (From the original TCP-1
and TC-201 irons to the new TC-201P). This change corresponded to design
changes to other Weller stations and products (specifically the "EC"
series).

The most significant design change was the replacement of the "wired-in"
heater (TC-208) used in the TCP-1 and TC-201 irons with
a new plug-in heater (EC-234) first introduced with the TC-201P iron.

The replacement of a failed heater - was made simpler and allowed for a
standardization of this heater with the heater used
with the company's EC1201A soldering iron.

Unfortunately, if a user or technician needs to replace the SW60 magnistat
switch or the line cord - the socket contacts (AMP Audio/Microphone
connector socket contact) needs to be removed from the new black plastic
insulator.

The specific AMP Extraction tool for this procedure is part number 91136-1.
A "bobby pin" is suggested as an alternative in Weller's SW60 Magnistat
switch instructions.

Greg
w9gb

BTW, regarding an earlier comment on repairing Weller WTCP series iron --
these AMP connectors were first made at AMP's Harrisburg, PA facility.
That is about as close to a nuclear plant as this procedure will get.

Jim Adney December 22nd 03 04:13 AM

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:24:27 GMT "G.Beat"
wrote:

Unfortunately, if a user or technician needs to replace the SW60 magnistat
switch or the line cord - the socket contacts (AMP Audio/Microphone
connector socket contact) needs to be removed from the new black plastic
insulator.

Is this for the female pins in the base? THose pins are the only
consistent source of trouble that I've ever had in over 25 years of
using the WTCP? series of Weller irons. Weller went thru several
generations of WTCP irons where some of those pins were crimped onto
tinned magnet wire. The crimps generally lose good contact within a
year and generate heat in the socket, which melts the connector body.

I LOVE these solder stations, but the very first thing I always do is
take those pins out and solder them.

The specific AMP Extraction tool for this procedure is part number 91136-1.
A "bobby pin" is suggested as an alternative in Weller's SW60 Magnistat
switch instructions.

I think I'll order one of the AMP extractors. I've always had a hard
time getting these apart gracefully. Thanks for the info.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

G.Beat December 22nd 03 02:34 PM

wrote:

[...]

Yes, I was referring to the "Socket" connectors (AMP Part number: 207437-2
or 207437-3)
in the black plastic insulator [the pins (3) are on the Weller EC234 plug-in
heater assembly]

Here are the specific AMP document ID's / web page reference.

Audio/Microphone Connectors - Specification Or Standard (Application
Specification): 114-10011

AMP* EXTRACTION TOOL 91136-1 Specification Or Standard (Instruction Sheet
(U.S.): 408-7859

Catalog Page AUDIO/INSTRUMENT CONNECTORS: 82053_0794_2

http://ecommas.tycoelectronics.com/c.../DDEController

The tool is available from DigiKey and Mouser (I do not remember which one
had the AMP tool in stock) -
BUT it is NOT cheap (as I remember - over $ 25)

BTW, TYCO Electronics may have changed this original AMP part number -
since it took both Mouser and DigiKey a bit of time to cross reference the
part number.

Greg
w9gb