RadioBanter

-   -   Varactor tuning diodes. (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22068-varactor-tuning-diodes.html)

Tom Bruhns January 5th 04 02:12 AM

Varactor tuning diodes.

Yes, the RF generally does cause nearly instantaneous voltage changes,
and therefore capacitance changes, across the diode. Spice should
handle this properly. You need to lower that RF voltage! In
addition, the average capacitance will depend on the amplitude of the
RF because of the nonlinear nature of the capacitance versus voltage,
so it's important to keep the RF level reasonably constant, for
stability. It's fairly common in covering a wide range, especially if
you also want low phase noise, to break it up into subranges which
might be selected with switching or PIN diodes. Of course, it's also
critical to keep the control voltage "quiet" because at 10MHz/volt or
so, a millivolt will give you 10kHz of frequency deviation.

If you look up other uses for varactor diodes, you'll find that the
characteristic you are asking about is used to make efficient
frequency multipliers, and even mixers and amplifiers. (Search for
"parametric amplifier.")

Cheers,
Tom

In message , James French wrote:
Hello,

I have a general question regarding tuning diodes:
Does the oscillation voltage alter their capacitance, or is

capacitance a
slow changing value - like resistance and PIN diodes?

The reason I ask is that I am spicing (simulation) a VCO I wish to

build
(wide range 140-240MHz) and get an oscillation voltage of 20 volts

peak
(maybe the Q is too high). This high oscillation voltage would easily

swamp
the tuning voltage, 3-15 volts, and forward bias the diode itself.

If anyone wishs to reply directly they must remove the "xxx" from the

return
address or write to:
james dot fenech at nec dot com dot au

Thanks,
James.

James Fenech January 6th 04 10:16 PM

Hi All,

thanks for the many responses. My use of this VCO if for a homebrew spectrum
analyser, 0-100MHz with a 140MHz first IF. This sort of rules out doing it
in ranges - maybe?

I'm only an RF beginer, and spicing the circuit gives me "some" confidence
that it may work, but I understand that spice may be quite a bit off the
mark with parasitics and all.

The idea of reducing the RF voltage across the part is a good one, but how
do I do it? I am actually using two in series (back to back) but 20 volts
peak seems a bit much.

I have the ARRL handbook (1997 or so) but this doesn't have much in the way
of theory. Is there any other reference anyone can recommend?

I could just build it and see if it works, but I wouldn't be able to test
much except measure the operating frequency.

James.

m...

Roy Lewallen January 6th 04 11:41 PM

I highly recommend _Experimental Methods in RF Design_, by Hayward,
Cambell, and Larkin. It's published by the ARRL and available from them
and numerous other sources. Besides theory and a lot of real, practical,
tested circuits and projects, it includes simple test equipment you can
build yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

. . .

James Fenech January 7th 04 11:11 PM

Hi Roy,

thanks for the suggestion. I am considering buying this book. Can I ask how
much theory, and how deep does it go? I am an engineer (digital electornics
and software background) and actually like some theory to help me understand
what I am doing.

I already have some "real" test equipment, 50MHz CRO, signal generator,
multimeter, etc. So "simple" test equipment may not be too much of an
improvement.

I've looked over the internet, and some books that I have, but found no real
example circuit on wideband VCOs. The only "sort of close enough" circuit I
found is at:
http://www.newwaveinstruments.com/resources/rf_microwave_resources/sections/oscillator_vco_theory_design_circuit.htm#Voltage%2 0Controled%20Oscillator%20(VCO)%20Circuits
The second one down - Colpitts. Are there any such examples in this book?

Thanks,
James.

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
I highly recommend _Experimental Methods in RF Design_, by Hayward,
Cambell, and Larkin. It's published by the ARRL and available from them
and numerous other sources. Besides theory and a lot of real, practical,
tested circuits and projects, it includes simple test equipment you can
build yourself.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

. . .

Steve Nosko January 8th 04 12:14 AM

You're climbing a steep hill here James. It is the % change in frequency
that is the problem. Professional spec analysers use a 2 GHz LO with a 2:1
range (to scan 0-2GHz), but I believe that is a magnetically tuned YIG
resonator. If you could get the frequency higher, so the sweep range is
narrower, then mix to the desired freq with a balanced mixer...that would be
an easier VCO design.

Steve
K;9;d;c;i

The punctuation is my feeble attempt at spam-bot blocking.

[...]

. . .

James Fenech January 8th 04 01:24 AM

Thanks Joe,

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult. Minicircuits sells parts
that have a 2:1 range (not the right range though), and I only want 1.7:1 or
so. Interesting idea about downmixing, but I really don't want another mixer
and oscillator in this thing.

Acording to my pspice results I can get the range, but I'm a little
concerned about the high voltage swing on the varactors causing very poor
phase noise.

James.

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

W3JDR January 8th 04 02:29 AM

James
In general, very wide tuning range and very good phase noise are sort of
antithetical. If you use the circuit I sent you, the phase noise will be
quite good for your simple spectrum analyzer application (unless you're
planning to have a very high resolution/very low bandwidth mode).

Don't get too hung up on your Spice modeling. It can keep you from trying
some things that are known to work. In general, if I can build it faster
than I can model it, I'll just go right for building it. I use modeling to
get another perspective, but not to get the whole picture.

Joe

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

Jim Pennell January 8th 04 02:40 AM

Seems to me I read a note about W7ZOI starting to build a variation of his
original spectrum analyzer which will cover up to 200 MHz.

http://users.easystreet.com/w7zoi/vhfbpf.html

He expects to use a mini-circuit VCO.

POS-535 VCO from MiniCircuits will sweep from 260 to 460 MHz

Given a first IF of 260 MHz, it all works nicely.

Personally, I'd be inclined to do something like this, using the
minicircuits part, since they tend to be fairly linear tuning MHz/VOLT which
simplifies the sweep circuitry a lot.

I have built broadband tuning range VCOs before, and I know it can be
done, but in a spectrum analyzer, the performance is usually limited by the
first VCO so using a good performance VCO makes sense to me.

Jim
N6BIU

Roy Lewallen January 8th 04 03:38 AM

_Experimental Methods_ is oriented toward the advanced amateur, so you
won't find the depth and level of math you would in a college text or a
specialized text on one of the many topics covered in that book.
However, there's a lot more depth than you'll find in something like the
_ARRL Handbook_. Another thing is that the authors are all experienced
and professional engineers who've spent years doing RF design, and all
know a very great deal about the covered topics. In my opinion, only
someone with a very deep and basic understanding of the fundamentals can
accurately explain theory in an intuitive and easy to understand way.
The authors have that understanding. I have no doubt you'll be very
pleased with the book.

Re test equipment: how about devices for measuring RF power, impedance,
frequency, inductance, capacitance, Q, spectra, noise figure, and
crystal characteristics?

I don't believe there's an example of a wideband VCO. The authors
concentrate a lot on keeping phase noise low, so use other methods to
achieve wideband operation than with a wideband VCO.

If you're looking for a more theoretical treatment of oscillators and
other RF circuits, I recommend Hayward's _Introduction to Radio
Frequency Design_, now also published by the ARRL. (You might find a
used first edition, published by Wiley as I recall.) After reading the
chapter on oscillators, you'll know enough to get a good start at least
at designing your own VCO.

There are a lot of practical tips and observations about oscillators in
_Oscillator Design and Computer Simulation_ by Randall Rhea (Noble
publishing, ISBN1-884932-30-4), although in my opinion it doesn't convey
as fundamental understanding of oscillator operation as Hayward's books.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

James Fenech wrote:
[...]

. . .

John Popelish January 8th 04 02:30 PM

Hans Summers wrote:

See my spectrum analyser:
http://www.hanssummers.com/electroni...yser/index.htm
which has 145MHz 1st IF and covers right up to (and through!) the 1st IF,
using an SA602 VCO covering 145MHz to something like 300MHz with no problem
and apparently excellent linearity. The varicap is BB105. Dynamic range is
limited to something like 70dB by the choice of front end (SA602) but it's a
fun and useful project that is quite easy to build. If anyone wants the
circuit diagram and full construction details let me know.

I very much enjoyed seeing all the photos of your construction and
would like to receive the schematic and details. Thanks.

--
John Popelish

Steve Nosko January 9th 04 12:00 AM

My comments are colored by experience desigining quite low noise, relitavely
narrow bandwidth VCOs, so all the other comments are very valid.

I will note that there are two aspects of noise to consider, that I can
think of off hand. One is that:
1) Too low of an absolute DC voltage on the varactors will make for a noisy
VCO and
2) A wide tuning range means that the varactor is relatively tightly
coupled into the oscillator which means that control line noise/spurs you'll
have to watch control line noise & spurs.
3) This also means the Varactors have more effect on the oscillator Q and
therefore can also mean increased noise.
OK nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.

If you can determine the actual noise performance and keep it in mind that
the analyzer has a noise limit, you'll be ok.

Been away from it too long and can't seem to recall why we used to use two,
back-to-back varactors...brain is full...seems like it was to reduce the
voltage across the varactor.

'guards, Steve K;9;D:C:I

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

W3JDR January 9th 04 12:59 AM

Steve,
I think the main reason for back-to-back diodes is to prevent rectification
of the RF. Rectification can cause several bad things, including pushing DC
current back out the tuning voltage line, instability, and increased phase
noise. Having said that, I tried back-to-back diodes a couple times and I
don't ever recall ending up with it in the final design, so it must not have
added all that much value. On the negative side, it halves the capacitance.
One technique to improve the phase noise in wide-band VCO's was shown by
Ulrich Rhode. He uses several diodes in parallel in order to decrease the RF
current in each diode, reportedly lowering losses and improving noise. I
never tried it myself.

"W3JDR" wrote in message
[...]

. . .

John Moriarity January 10th 04 12:31 AM

One technique to improve the phase noise in wide-band VCO's was shown by
Ulrich Rhode. He uses several diodes in parallel in order to decrease the

RF
current in each diode, reportedly lowering losses and improving noise. I
never tried it myself.

If the diodes are the limiting factor, it can help.
The second diode seemed to do the most good,
the third, a little more, but any more didn't help
(in my designs).

The way the varactor is made will affect the
noise performance. Ask the manufacturers
which process yields their best phase-noise
performance. Most of them are very helpful.
As I recall, planar, epitaxial construction,
with thermal compression bonded leads
gave my best results. Hyperabrupt diodes
gave the worst. But things change rapidly
these days, so ask.

73, John - K6QQ

Paul Keinanen January 10th 04 10:50 AM

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 16:31:56 -0800, "John Moriarity"
wrote:

One technique to improve the phase noise in wide-band VCO's was shown by
Ulrich Rhode. He uses several diodes in parallel in order to decrease the RF
current in each diode, reportedly lowering losses and improving noise. I
never tried it myself.

Or is it simply that when using multiple varactors in parallel, the
amount of capacitance needed from each varactor is reduced, hence a
higher tuning voltage must be used with the same inductance ? With a
high tuning voltage, the capacitance/voltage ratio is smaller, hence
the capacitance difference would be smaller on the separate RF half
cycles. This would reduce the phase noise.

If the diodes are the limiting factor, it can help.
The second diode seemed to do the most good,
the third, a little more, but any more didn't help
(in my designs).

Your observations would support my theory, since adding further
varactors would only increase the tuning voltage slightly with the
same inductance.

Paul OH3LWR

Avery Fineman January 10th 04 08:38 PM

In article , "W3JDR"
writes:

Steve,
I think the main reason for back-to-back diodes is to prevent rectification
of the RF. Rectification can cause several bad things, including pushing DC
current back out the tuning voltage line, instability, and increased phase
noise. Having said that, I tried back-to-back diodes a couple times and I
don't ever recall ending up with it in the final design, so it must not have
added all that much value. On the negative side, it halves the capacitance.
One technique to improve the phase noise in wide-band VCO's was shown by
Ulrich Rhode. He uses several diodes in parallel in order to decrease the RF
current in each diode, reportedly lowering losses and improving noise. I
never tried it myself.

Variable-capacitance diodes exhibit that phenomenon only in
reverse-DC-bias connections. In forward-DC-bias connection they
behave generally like ordinary diodes, conducting very little current
until about 0.6 V across the junction.

A single variable-capacitance diode across an RF circuit will conduct
- and thus have an effect on the RF tuned circuit - when the
combination of DC tuning bias and RF voltages are above the
forward-conduction breakpoint.

The purpose of "back-to-back" connection is to keep the (now two)
variable-capacitance diodes always in reverse-conduction...the RF
voltage (peak-to-peak) is not supposed to exceed either the break-
down voltage of the diodes or cause either of them to be forward-
biased during any part of the RF cycle.

With no forward conduction, the variable capacitance diodes remain
just that - variable capacitances.

When forward conduction occurs, it adds more non-linearity to the
RF circuit and tends to decrease the action of the variable capacitance.

When used in low-level RF stages of a receiver input, the RF voltage
hardly ever exceeds 1 V peak-to-peak and thus the variable
capacitance diode never goes into forward conduction. Single diodes
can be used there without doubling-up.

Len Anderson
retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

J M Noeding January 11th 04 06:17 PM

wrote:

[...]

suppose the anti-paralell configuration could improve it further like
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/images/1et27.gif , first got the idea
from high level PIN switch in Electronics design, but have not seen
the application elsewhere

JM
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/L2.htm
--
Amount of SPAM is so large that MailWasher must delete 99% of the incoming mails
Cannot check every email manually. Please use intelligent title for email.

James Fenech January 12th 04 05:41 AM

Ok, many of you have suggested rather than just simulation I should actually
build something. Joe (W3JDR) has kindly donated a circuit diagram which I
started off with.

Best way to get going quickly is dead bug style, soldered straight to the
copper side of a PCB. I have never used this style of construction as it
looked flimsy, but it looked like a good way to go just for prototyping.
Well, the circuit went together fast and the finished product is very
steady, so I am now a convert to this construction method! I may need a new
iron though, as the basic low power model I have struggled to heat up the
large area of board.

Firstly I built the circuit (almost) as directed, slight modifications were
made to suit parts I had. Fixed capacitors were used as this allowed
evaluation without worrying about the diodes performance. The oscillation
voltage across the tank was about 1 vp-p measured with an older 50MHz CRO
and a 1:1 probe. Oscillation seemed stable and I liked the result.

Question: I used the ARRL equation for a cylindrical inductor and seemed way
off (50%). Should I expect the copper sheet to affect the inductance, and
how.

I then replaced the fixed capacitors with BB909 (3-30pF) diodes. The result
wasn't so good. Oscillation voltage was less (lower Q tank maybe) and the
stablility seemed poor (again poor Q). I will attempt more measurements
tonight.

James.