RadioBanter

-   -   The Pickett N-16 ES Slide Rule (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22146-pickett-n-16-es-slide-rule.html)

John Savard January 13th 04 04:49 AM

The Pickett N-16 ES Slide Rule

In the year 2002, someone posted a message to this group noting that
he had forgotten the use of the specialized electronic scales on the
rear of his Pickett N-16 ES slide rule.

The thread encompassed a total of 30 posts in its life, but in none of
the 29 other posts was his question answered, although many posts
contained interesting reminisences of that fascinating mathematical
instrument, the slide rule. (One or more of those posts, due to
unfamiliarity with this particular slide rule, were written with the
assumption he had forgotten to use the log-log scales or other
standard slide rule scales, but in fact the use of those scales is
obvious in comparison to the use of the electronic scales on the other
side, and it seemed to me that these were the only ones with which he
had a question.)

I was unsure of the proper way to decode the E-mail address in the
message, or whether it was still valid. In hopes that the individual
concerned is still an active participant in this newsgroup, I post
here now, with an answer to his question.

At the web site

http://sliderule.ozmanor.com/man/man-download.html

there is not one, but rather there are two, versions of the manual
provided for this slide rule.

And on my own web site, at

http://home.ecn.ab.ca/~jsavard/other/sr02.htm

among much other information related to slide rules, are the results
of a study of the manuals for this slide rule, which yielded to me the
meanings of the various scales thereon.

John Savard