RadioBanter

-   -   Futaba VFD 2x16 display (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22350-futaba-vfd-2x16-display.html)

tk February 15th 04 06:04 PM

Futaba VFD 2x16 display

I would like to use this 2 line VFD in a VFO project ... can see it a
lot better than LCD. The part # is US1625D03B and it is a 5 volt part.
I have a 21 page manual from the Inet and am trying to drive it with a
PIC. This device uses a clock and data line and accepts 8 bit serial
transfer. Have had minimal success.... I can display several characters
on line 1 but when I try to send a stream of characters it starts a
crazy oscillation on the signal lines and the display goes bonkers. I
suspect the problem is timing and/or control character sequence. I
remember the terrible time we all had with LCD's till someone cracked
the control sequence mystery. I would appreciate any information or
code samples to get this dude working.

Thanks

Ted in Atlanta KD4EE

Don Sands WA5OYG February 17th 04 06:05 AM

tk wrote in message ...
I would like to use this 2 line VFD in a VFO project ... can see it a
lot better than LCD. The part # is US1625D03B and it is a 5 volt part.
I have a 21 page manual from the Inet and am trying to drive it with a
PIC. This device uses a clock and data line and accepts 8 bit serial
transfer. Have had minimal success.... I can display several characters
on line 1 but when I try to send a stream of characters it starts a
crazy oscillation on the signal lines and the display goes bonkers. I
suspect the problem is timing and/or control character sequence. I
remember the terrible time we all had with LCD's till someone cracked
the control sequence mystery. I would appreciate any information or
code samples to get this dude working.

Thanks

Ted in Atlanta KD4EE

Hi
First are you driving the Futaba with the SSP Serial Synchronous Port
found on most PICS? These work better than just posting data on any
I/O line and clocking it on another. From looking at the spec's, I do
not believe speed is the problem but synchronization of data and
clock. Personally I like to use parallel interfacing because you have
greater control over the data. Of course that would require more data
lines.
Don