RadioBanter

-   -   RF Design 90s RLB article ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/22863-rf-design-90s-rlb-article.html)

Henry Kolesnik April 18th 04 08:31 PM

RF Design 90s RLB article ?

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Harold E. Johnson April 18th 04 08:38 PM

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.

If you finished your VNA, you already have one Hank.

W4ZCB

Reg Edwards April 19th 04 02:15 PM

Does anyone recall seeing an article for constructing a return loss bridge
in RF Design in late 80s or early 90s? I'd like to see if I can get a
scan, I've been bitten by the RLB bug.

================================

Isn't a return-loss bridge electrically exactly the same as the
common-or-garden SWR meter with the meter scale calibrated in something
different from SWR = 1 to infinity?

Same applies to reflection coefficient bridge.

[email protected] April 19th 04 03:56 PM

Here is a newsgroup article I saved. I downloaded all of the RFD
programs from this site. Go here. Unwrap the URL.

Henry
http://communities.msn.com/Electrica...tware &fc_a=0

Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:30:11 -0700
From: "Neil"
To: "Low Power Amateur Radio Discussion"
Subject: [96966] MSDOS BASIC software archive and RF Design Mag
software archive

For all those who asked about the RF design files:

Click on the "Join Now" icon in upper right corner of page and go from
there.
Involves getting MSN passport which is just e-mail address at
hotmail.com
and password of your choice.

There are nearly a hundred files so can't forward them but could any
single
file from list on that page. they are named RFDXXYY.ZIP where XXis month
and
YY is year.

I downloaded them by right clicking on each and chosing "save target
as".
Some reason it insisted on saving it as xxxx.ZIP.zip so I edited out the
...ZIP from each save as so it became xxxx.zip.

Neil
http://www.aade.com

Almost All Digital Electronics
1412 Elm St. SE
Auburn, WA 98092
253-351-9316

Roy Lewallen April 19th 04 10:14 PM

You'll also find information about return loss bridges and how to
construct and use them in Hayward, Campbell, and Larkin's _Experimental
Methods in RF Design_ (ARRL) and its now out-of-print predecessor _Solid
State Design for the Radio Amateur_ by Hayward and DeMaw (ARRL).

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Tom Bruhns April 20th 04 05:38 AM

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message om...
Return loss is the
fraction of power that isn't absorbed by the load. See QST April 1959 pp
24-28 for Warren Bruene's article, "An Inside Picture of Directional
Wattmeters."

You can find lots of references on the web, too. I think Charles
Wenzel's pages are almost always quite good, and recommend
http://www.wenzel.com/documents/swr.html, but a simple search may well
turn up things that suit your learning style better.

Cheers,
Tom

PS...Hank...sending a scan-to-text of the annual indexes for about
1988-1992, for couplers and whatever else was close to them on those
pages. I suspect it may be Joel Dunsmore's "Simple SMT Bridge Circuit
Mimics Ultar-Broadband Coupler" that you are interested in. I have
that here and can scan it, but you might check out Neil's referenced
site too.