Old December 21st 15, 11:33 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Morse Key Contacts?

For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the contacts,
for
I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot contact on my ersatz
Vibroplex
to be very noisy and scratchy?

I'm fairly sure that I asked this question before, but it has been a habit
of never put off till
tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.

I chose phosphor bronze because in the days of making one's own electronic
organs, phosphor bronze was suggested as a suitable keying matreial for the
keyboards.

Old December 22nd 15, 12:50 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015 23:33:17 -0000, "gareth"
wrote:

For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the contacts,
for
I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot contact on my ersatz
Vibroplex
to be very noisy and scratchy?

I'm fairly sure that I asked this question before, but it has been a habit
of never put off till
tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.

I chose phosphor bronze because in the days of making one's own electronic
organs, phosphor bronze was suggested as a suitable keying matreial for the
keyboards.

Never built a morse key but in the telecomms industry, Palladium was
the way to go.
Old December 22nd 15, 07:24 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote:
For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the contacts,
for
I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot contact on my ersatz
Vibroplex
to be very noisy and scratchy?

I'm fairly sure that I asked this question before, but it has been a habit
of never put off till
tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.

Or put off for 18 years.

I chose phosphor bronze because in the days of making one's own electronic
organs, phosphor bronze was suggested as a suitable keying matreial for the
keyboards.

By electronic organ you mean battery powered dildo, I presume?

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old December 22nd 15, 07:55 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Stephen Thomas Cole" wrote in message
"gareth" wrote:
For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the
contacts,
for
I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot contact on my ersatz
Vibroplex
to be very noisy and scratchy?

I'm fairly sure that I asked this question before, but it has been a
habit
of never put off till
tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.

Or put off for 18 years.

I chose phosphor bronze because in the days of making one's own
electronic
organs, phosphor bronze was suggested as a suitable keying matreial for
the
keyboards.

By electronic organ you mean battery powered dildo, I presume?

STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

tee hee ...very good ...

Old December 22nd 15, 09:16 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote:
[...]

I'm here all week, folks! Tickets are going fast!

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Old December 22nd 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 21/12/2015 23:33, gareth wrote:
For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the
contacts, for I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot
contact on my ersatz Vibroplex to be very noisy and scratchy?

What about the contacts from an old relay?

--
Extend ****s law - make 'em wear a cheat sheet 24/7
Old December 22nd 15, 10:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

En el artículo , Stephen Thomas Cole
escribió:

By electronic organ you mean battery powered dildo, I presume?

He could take it cruising in his cute little turquoise jeep-ette.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
Old December 22nd 15, 11:21 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Fred Roberts" wrote in message
On 21/12/2015 23:33, gareth wrote:
For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the
contacts, for I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot
contact on my ersatz Vibroplex to be very noisy and scratchy?

What about the contacts from an old relay?

It's always the same with hoarding in the junk box; I've these 12V Varley
plug in relays
that would do the job excellently, but it seems a pity to wreck a relay,
even though
I've about 20 of them and all unused for 20 years !!!!!!!

Yes, that's obviously the answer, and I must overcome that hoarding
instinct!!

Old December 22nd 15, 11:35 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote:
[...]

here is a couple for you to buy ....

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-conc...nds/1147344052

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-40-years.html

Old December 22nd 15, 10:28 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote:

For those who make their own Morse Keys, what do you use for the contacts,
for
I have found the phosphor bronze pillar for the dot contact on my ersatz
Vibroplex
to be very noisy and scratchy?

I'm fairly sure that I asked this question before, but it has been a habit
of never put off till
tomorrow what you can put off till the day after.

I chose phosphor bronze because in the days of making one's own electronic
organs, phosphor bronze was suggested as a suitable keying matreial for the
keyboards.

Never built a morse key but in the telecomms industry, Palladium was
the way to go.

Found, I believe, on the surface of disk drive disks.

The disks are generally aluminium (some are plastic, which surprised me)
and they have a thin coat of Palladium.

(It is amazing what you stumble across on YouTube, the above comes from a
video about scrapping disk drives which appeared as a suggestion when
looking for something- not about scrapping disk drives but it caught my
eye.)

http://tinyurl.com/jfvryeq

Interesting comparison of contact materials in relays. As you can see
Gold and copper are not the best options.