Old June 6th 04, 05:10 AM
Gregg

Default WTD: 74AS192 or 74S192 counters

I'm building a SWRX with PLL frequency generator and need a 1/2 dozen of
these chips. They are unobtanium from my Vancouver suppliers.

I need the speed of AS or S because the master osc. will be 60-90 MHz.

I live in Chilliwack, BC, Canada, V0X 1X0 for shipping calculations.

Thanks all!

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old June 6th 04, 02:12 PM
Leon Heller

"Gregg" wrote in message
I'm building a SWRX with PLL frequency generator and need a 1/2 dozen of
these chips. They are unobtanium from my Vancouver suppliers.

I need the speed of AS or S because the master osc. will be 60-90 MHz.

I'd use a CPLD - it'll be faster, cheaper and take up less board space. You
can use it for the rest of the logic as well, including the phase detector.

73, Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Old June 6th 04, 03:55 PM
Gregg

Behold, Leon Heller signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"Gregg" wrote in message
I'm building a SWRX with PLL frequency generator and need a 1/2 dozen
of these chips. They are unobtanium from my Vancouver suppliers.

I need the speed of AS or S because the master osc. will be 60-90 MHz.

I'd use a CPLD - it'll be faster, cheaper and take up less board space.
You can use it for the rest of the logic as well, including the phase
detector.

73, Leon

Hi Leon,

Thanks. But as a tubehead myself, how on earth do I go about doing this?

Old June 6th 04, 04:12 PM
Leon Heller

"Gregg" wrote in message
I'm building a SWRX with PLL frequency generator and need a 1/2 dozen
of these chips. They are unobtanium from my Vancouver suppliers.

I need the speed of AS or S because the master osc. will be 60-90 MHz.

I'd use a CPLD - it'll be faster, cheaper and take up less board space.
You can use it for the rest of the logic as well, including the phase
detector.

73, Leon

Hi Leon,

Thanks. But as a tubehead myself, how on earth do I go about doing this?

You've got a lot of learning to do. 8-)

Try this web page of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/pld_starter.html

Leon

Old June 6th 04, 09:26 PM
Gregg

"Gregg" wrote in message
I'm building a SWRX with PLL frequency generator and need a 1/2
dozen of these chips. They are unobtanium from my Vancouver
suppliers.

I need the speed of AS or S because the master osc. will be 60-90
MHz.

I'd use a CPLD - it'll be faster, cheaper and take up less board
space. You can use it for the rest of the logic as well, including
the phase detector.

73, Leon

Hi Leon,

Thanks. But as a tubehead myself, how on earth do I go about doing
this?

You've got a lot of learning to do. 8-)

Try this web page of mine:

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller/pld_starter.html

Leon

Thanks Leon! :-)

I'm a fast learner, you rock!

Old June 6th 04, 07:14 PM
Tom Bruhns

You can check out Xilinx's free design SW (includes CPLD stuff)
starting he

http://www.xilinx.com/xlnx/xebiz/des...DS-ISE-WEBPACK

I guess Altera and Atmel also have free or low-cost design solutions.
See, for example, the Atmel ATF15xx-DK2 sold by DigiKey and others.
But the problem is that you still have to actually program the parts,
and that can be a barrier. It's just something you have to commit to
doing, and perhaps spending either some time or some money to put the
right environment in place to make the programming easy. For example,
you can buy a JTAG programmer from Xilinx that plugs into the parallel
port of a PC, and perhaps they still provide an ap note with the
schematic if you wanted to make your own. However, once you do get
over the barrier, the rewards can be great: you can pack quite a lot
into a single CPLD, and you can change it just by re-programming when
you discover a mistake or an improvement. The re-programming can be
(is generally best done) in-circuit, so there's no unsoldering
involved. A single tiny CPLD can have hundreds of flip-flops, with
associated logic.

On the other hand, have you investigated other solutions? I didn't
see your original posting, but suppose that there must be 74AC/74ACT
parts that will clock plenty fast enough, and there are some nice PLL
chips from folks like Analog Devices and National Semiconductor with
built-in programmable dividers for both reference and oscillator
inputs, and they can go up into the GHz region for the oscillator
inputs. (They may appear at first to have TOO HIGH a minimum
frequency, but if you get a dual one designed for both RF and IF
range, you'll probably find that the IF range section will go low
enough.) They are compact and inexpensive.

Cheers,
Tom