RadioBanter

-   -   6m qrp all mode (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/23389-6m-qrp-all-mode.html)

Alex July 13th 04 05:00 PM

6m qrp all mode

I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone point
me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

Tim Wescott July 13th 04 06:51 PM

Alex wrote:
I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone point
me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there! Particularly since
there's all sorts of wireless semiconductors that cover VHF at their
absolute lower limit (we won't get into why there's no UHF homebrew
given that's where all the wireless chips are).

"QRP Classics" has a little bit of 6 meter stuff, as does "Solid-State
Design for the Radio Amateur", but I haven't seen much any where else.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Gregg July 13th 04 08:30 PM

Behold, Tim Wescott signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Alex wrote:
I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone
point me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

rant
Our respective IC and FCC want all V/UHF HAM's to be glorified CB'ers
/rant

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*

Tim Wescott July 13th 04 09:09 PM

Alex wrote:

I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone
point me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

rant
Our respective IC and FCC want all V/UHF HAM's to be glorified CB'ers
/rant

Now, without spending five hours of quality time with my local FCC rule
book, which could be more profitably spent working on the 6 meter R/C
receiver that I've got cooking, I can't say for sure that you're wrong.

But if you were here I _would_ bet you money (which I never do) that the
no code license does _not_ restrict you to commercially-made equipment
-- you're supposed to know your own limits, but with them you can go
like gangbusters. Can you point to a specific rule that shows that I'm
wrong?

As near as I can tell the vast majority of folk with a no-code tech
license are either disinclined or unable to build their own stuff, but
not forbidden -- which is worth it's own rant.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Troglodite July 13th 04 09:16 PM

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

How does the no-code license restrict you to commercial gear? I see nothing in
the rules that says this. After an absence from Amateur Radio of 38 years, I
bagged a no-code Tech at a hamfest in 1998 and proceeded to build myself a 2m
rig from a TenTec kit. Did I break the law? I don't think so. I have since
re-obtained my General but passing the code again didn't make me technically
smarter.

KB9TMY (Formerly K6HWY)

R J Carpenter July 13th 04 09:19 PM

"Ian White, G3SEK" wrote in message
Gregg wrote:
Behold, Tim Wescott signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:
There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

There is actually a lot of HB associated with VHF, but the effort just
doesn't happen to go into building QRP transceivers.

Code proficiency is totally irrelevant to that. Some of this country's
most advanced VHF homebrewers have held a no-code licence for over 30
years. The same is true in Germany, France and several other European
countries.

Ah, but according to his URL Greg is in Canada, where IIRC the no-code
licence does NOT allow homebrew transmitters.

Phil July 13th 04 09:30 PM

Hi Alex,

I found some interesting vhf HB stuff at JF1OZL's web site:

http://www.intio.or.jp/jf10zl/

He is a prolific builder and apparently very good at design.

Also, while not exactly what you asked about, Far Circuits
has a pc board for the Nor' Easter 6 meter AM transceiver.
Speaking of that, 6 meter AM was BOOMING into central Kentucky
from northern New York and else where this past weekend.
Copied many guys on AM (!!) with my handy-dandy Radio Shack
scanner and an attic mounted antenna. I couldn't believe it...

73,

phil

"Alex" wrote in
:

Michael Black July 13th 04 09:45 PM

Alex wrote:
I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone
point me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

rant
Our respective IC and FCC want all V/UHF HAM's to be glorified CB'ers
/rant

Your "rant" would make more sense if you'd stated that you were here in
Canada. Most of the world won't have a clue what you are talking abnout.

And, the fact that in Canada one cannot use home made transmitters until
they pass the advanced test likely is not a significant factor here. Canada
is a small country, and over the years there's rarely been technical material
published in the few Canadian ham publications. So we look to the US and
the UK for technical material, and they don't have such limits on what
one can build.

Michael VE2BVW

Ian White, G3SEK July 13th 04 09:49 PM

Gregg wrote:
Behold, Tim Wescott signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:
There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

There is actually a lot of HB associated with VHF, but the effort just
doesn't happen to go into building QRP transceivers.

Code proficiency is totally irrelevant to that. Some of this country's
most advanced VHF homebrewers have held a no-code licence for over 30
years. The same is true in Germany, France and several other European
countries.

--
73 from Ian G3SEK
Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'

Tim Wescott July 13th 04 10:44 PM

wrote:

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

To the writer of this: very true!

Greg:

IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

You are flat out wrong. I am nocode and an engineer that loves to
homebrew VHF gear. Wander up to 6m and catch me running QRP SSB some
time. I have five 6m rigs, only one is commercial.

rant
Our respective IC and FCC want all V/UHF HAM's to be glorified CB'ers
/rant

Watch that paint brush, you may smear a few people with muck that
don't deserve it.

Allison

Where can we find the designs?

--