RadioBanter

-   -   Intermediate Licence project (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/23555-intermediate-licence-project.html)

S C September 12th 04 03:46 PM

Intermediate Licence project

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

I hope to build one for use on the HF bands.

Many Thanks for your help

M3GBQ

Brian Reay September 12th 04 05:20 PM

"S C" wrote in message ...
I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

I hope to build one for use on the HF bands.

Many Thanks for your help

M3GBQ

Lots of designs around, try this one:

http://www.alg.demon.co.uk/radio/qrp/port_atu.htm

You may find the study material you can download from my website useful when
working for you 2E.

Good luck with your studies & 73

--
Brian Reay
www.g8osn.org.uk

Harold E. Johnson September 12th 04 06:17 PM

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
"M3"? You'd be better off to post your question in uk.rec.radio.cb.

This is a NG for Radio Hams, of which company you are not a member.

"S C" wrote in message

WOW! What a stupid response Bean. I hope you respond in like vein when
actually speaking to real live people, so they will have an opportunity to
knock you on your ass which you so obviously deserve.

W4ZCB

Highland Ham September 12th 04 07:53 PM

I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

============================
On the assumption that you would use this equipment once you have upgraded
to the Intermediate Licence ,the ATU's power rating is to be in excess of 50
Watts . Perhaps you can state to which type of feeder the AMU (Antenna
Matching Unit) is to be connected ; a coax feeder or a balanced feeder.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

September 13th 04 02:26 AM

take neigh notice yon M3.
These bitter old porkers, there only jealous of your youth.

They were all unlicensed CB'ers once, they just won't admit it. Airy still
has plenty of CB buddies. He soon shuts up when you remind him of his 4x4
driving country side wreaking mates...

Peter Parker September 13th 04 11:44 AM

"S C" wrote in message ...
I would be grateful if anyone could suggest or provide me with a circuit
diagram for a Homebrew ATU with SWR meter or circuit diagrans for these
seperately.

The simplest ATU is an L-match. Comprises a coil and a capacitor. Explain
that it is useful for matching high-impedence end fed wires approx half
wavelength long to 50 ohm and you should pass.

On the SWR meter, the cheapest way you can build something that does a
similar job is to build a resistive bridge (check if this is acceptable
first). This requires a meter movement a diode or two and a handful of
resistors and capacitors. There is no coil winding or toroids. The big
benefit of this is that you can tune up without putting a signal to air as
you would with an SWR bridge. They are also excellent for low power
transmitters as they are more sensitive than many SWR meters (particularly
on the lower HF range).

73, Peter VK3YE

Peter September 13th 04 10:10 PM

"S C" wrote in message

WOW! What a stupid response Bean. I hope you respond in like vein when
actually speaking to real live people, so they will have an opportunity to
knock you on your ass which you so obviously deserve.

W4ZCB

So Airy R Bean finally infested this newsgroup as well !
I only see his posts if they are quoted in others, since most of us on
the uk.radio.amateur newsgroup killfiled him long ago.

Just ignore him. He is really Gareth Alun Evans of Chippenham England.
His callsign is G4SDW and you can find his address in the Callbook if
you'd like to send him a greetings card.

Now that will bring a torrent of abuse from him ... just wait and see!

Peter, G3PHO

Peter September 13th 04 10:11 PM

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 02:26:04 +0100, wrote:

They were all unlicensed CB'ers once, they just won't admit it.

Oh no they were not!

Hans Summers September 14th 04 08:45 AM

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
It is not a stupid response at all. Far from it; it is a response that
stands for the maintenance of standards in Ham Radio. The M3/CB
Fools' Licence here in Britland is an advanced CB licence, but it
is not a Ham Radio licence by any stretch of the imagination.

Rubbish. I know several M3's, some of whom I have met on air (CW, that is).
Proficient and courteous ops. Some of them are enthusiastic homebrewers,
whose technical knowledge surely exceeds many, if not most, "full" license
holders. To date, every M3 I have met is on his way to the full license.
Several have got theirs since I first knew them.

I suspect that the majority of "full" license holders, "real" amateurs you
would call them, buy their black box straight after the license arrives and
never heat up a soldering iron. So what? If they're interested in ATV, CW,
SSB, VHF, UHF, digital modes, homebrewing, DX'ing, whatever - who cares? The
aspect is wide enough to cater for everyone's interest! Have your own
interest and enjoy the hobby, without needing to mock others who enjoy it in
their own way.

For myself, I have never operated a black box rig. Every single QSO I have
ever had was on my all-homebrew station, see
http://www.hanssummers.com/radio/g0upl/qsl/index.htm. But I still don't care
who else does what - they ham their way and I ham mine - I know how I enjoy
the hobby and I get on with it. When I CQ anyone is welcome - any speed,
country, AND license class! I can't believe that there are those who'll hear
an M3 and refuse to answer their call. Is that what amateur radio stands
for?

May I also assure non-UK readers that Mr Bean's opinions and attitudes are
not representative of UK amateurs in general. Mr Bean does seem an
appropriate nickname however.

72/3 de Hans G0UPL
http://www.HansSummers.com