RadioBanter

-   -   primestar 1-meter disk (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/23662-primestar-1-meter-disk.html)

PDRUNEN October 20th 04 03:07 AM

primestar 1-meter disk

Hi Group,

I now have an old 1-meter disk with a LNA for primestar. Anyone tell me about
the frequency range of the LNA and any amateur applications?

de KJ4UO

Scott October 20th 04 12:04 PM

Not sure of the frequency that Primestar used, but the DirecTV dishes
work well at 10 GHz. We remove all the electronics from the feedhorn
(LNA, LNB, whatever) and bore out the waveguide to 0.75 inch and mount
an SMA connector on the side with a probe sticking in horizontally (for
horizontal polarization). We then usually put a solid metal plug into
the rear of the waveguide and make it adjustable in and out to maximize
gain/matching.

Scott
N0EDV

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/

w9gb October 20th 04 11:16 PM

"PDRUNEN" wrote in message
Hi Group,

I now have an old 1-meter disk with a LNA for primestar. Anyone tell me
about
the frequency range of the LNA and any amateur applications?

de KJ4UO

Paul -

The old PrimeStar 1 meter dish is very popular for S-band (2.4 GHz)
conversions - for satellite usage or 802.11 (WiFi) usage. They have also
been used successfully by amateur microwave users.

The DirecTV, old Primestar and Dish satellite services are above the 10 GHz
amateur allocation (usually spread between 11 - 13 GHz). Here is the 10 GHz
page:
http://www.qsl.net/n1bwt/

Bob, W0LMD has a very good web page for usage of the dish, positioning,
construction of feeds, etc..
http://www.ultimatecharger.com/dish.html

For S-band, you can build a helix or patch feed.
Commercial feeds are available from SSB Electronics (PA)
http://www.ssbusa.com/ham.html

Jim Miller, G3RUH Patch feed
http://www.jrmiller.demon.co.uk/products/patch.html

w9gb