Old October 23rd 04, 01:12 PM
Joe McElvenney

Default Those Old COM Port Blues

Hi,

I'm keying my rig on RTTY via COM-1 of the computer but on
start-up none of the standard software packages can find a COM
port to use. If I go into 'Device Manager' though, delete a port
and then re-install it, everything works fine until next time.
This I guess means that the ports are not being initialised.

Has anyone come across this and is there a simple fix? I have
already asked this question in the appropriate OS group (Windows
XP Home) but to no avail.

Cheers - Joe, G3LLV

Old October 23rd 04, 01:13 PM
Airy R. Bean

Is it possible that the lithium cell on the mother board
has gone down, (so losing all your set-up info)
and that when you reboot, your CPU
does so with its default configuration?

Old October 23rd 04, 05:30 PM
Gary P. Fiber

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:12:44 +0000 (UTC), Joe McElvenney
wrote:

Hi,

I'm keying my rig on RTTY via COM-1 of the computer but on
start-up none of the standard software packages can find a COM
port to use. If I go into 'Device Manager' though, delete a port
and then re-install it, everything works fine until next time.
This I guess means that the ports are not being initialised.

Has anyone come across this and is there a simple fix? I have
already asked this question in the appropriate OS group (Windows
XP Home) but to no avail.

Cheers - Joe, G3LLV

Do you have a PDA ? If so your may be running a com port Hot Sync
software on start up. I just installed some software for a Fluke
Scopemeter and ran into the very similar issue. The software
complained COM 1 was in use.

also possible in the system bios the com port is not enabled.

There have been some issues with Windows XP and how it allows for com
port control, you might do some google searches on that.

Gary
Old October 23rd 04, 06:47 PM

XP won't let you use the ports, some security issue. "
Being a very secure operating system, Windows NT
assigns some privileges and restrictions to different types of
programs running on it.It classifies all the programs in to two
categories , User mode and Kernel mode ie; running in ring3 and ring0
modes. user mode programs are running in ring3 mode and Kernel mode
programs are running in ring0 mode. The programs you generally write
falls in the user mode category. The user mode programs are restricted
to use certain instructions like IN, OUT etc.. Whenever the operating
system find that a user mode program is trying to execute such
instructions , the operating system stops execution of those programs
and will display an error message." from
http://www.logix4u.net/inpout32.htm

Old October 24th 04, 06:57 PM
Peter

Have you got the ports turned on in your BIOS Joe? Press DEL on boot
up and have a look!

Peter, G3PHO

Old October 24th 04, 10:53 PM
Joe McElvenney

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions everybody but I've already rounded
up the usual suspects. I know that XP doesn't allow bit banging
of the ports but it should be able to handle calls to them from
applications in the usual way. If the COM port was not set up in
the BIOS I wouldn't be able to start it via 'Device Manager', so
this must be an issue between XP Home (SP2) and my machine.

Before I do something desperate like reloading the OS, I'm
looking for a quick and dirty way to cycle the hardware. It only
takes a few moments to do this from the keyboard but something
like a macro would be nice.

Thanks again - Joe G3LLV

APRS over port 80? John Digital 10 April 24th 04 07:56 AM
APRS over port 80? John Digital 0 April 14th 04 05:42 PM
Echolink Port settings for DLink 704? Spud Digital 6 January 13th 04 02:15 PM
Excercising a serial port Alan P. Biddle Digital 6 October 21st 03 12:25 AM
Kenwood TS570, PSK31, PTT and the ACC2 port. Steven Spiroff Digital 2 July 30th 03 01:05 PM