RadioBanter

-   -   How to design toroid? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/23809-how-design-toroid.html)

David Snyder Hale December 11th 04 06:26 AM

How to design toroid?

Are there tables and/or equations for designing toroids? For example,
I have some ferrite cores here, and I want to know how many turns on
what kind of core to get the inductance I need. (Calculating Q would
be nice, too.)

Tnx,

--
Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE

w9gb December 11th 04 07:28 AM

"David Snyder Hale" wrote in message
Are there tables and/or equations for designing toroids? For example,
I have some ferrite cores here, and I want to know how many turns on
what kind of core to get the inductance I need. (Calculating Q would
be nice, too.)

Tnx,

Dave * N3WTK (DM04xf) * http://isi.mtwilson.edu * VE

For a real quick calculation, you can use the Java Applet of GM0RWU
http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~jwp/radio/design_toroid.html

gb

Ian White, G3SEK December 11th 04 08:32 AM

David Snyder Hale wrote:
Are there tables and/or equations for designing toroids? For example,
I have some ferrite cores here, and I want to know how many turns on
what kind of core to get the inductance I need. (Calculating Q would
be nice, too.)

There's a very nice little program at:
http://www.dl5swb.de/html/mini_ring_core_calculator.htm

It has probably the most complete built-in library of cores and
dimensions, and does just about everything.

It doesn't contain Q data, but these only exist for certain cores, and
no calculation is required anyway - just read the graphs, which are on
the web.

http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek

Roy Lewallen December 12th 04 01:20 AM

A lot of amateurs confuse powdered iron with ferrite. They're very
different materials, and each is best for particular purposes.
MicroMetals makes powdered iron cores. A number of other vendors, such
as Fair-Rite, Magnetics, Ferroxcube, Siemens, and others make ferrite
cores. Amidon sells both, with powdered iron part numbers beginning with
T and ferrites beginning with FT.

There are many types of powdered irons and many types of ferrite. It's
vital that you choose the type which is appropriate for the job. Once
you do that, the design of the inductor or transformer is usually pretty
straightforward. But if you choose the wrong material, you're likely to
end up with a very poor component.

Most or all the manufacturers I mentioned have web sites that provide a
lot of information about how to choose the right material for a
particular application.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL