RadioBanter

-   -   Your own PCBs? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/251394-your-own-pcbs.html)

Gareth's Downstairs Computer December 22nd 17 06:51 PM

Your own PCBs?

https://hackaday.com/2017/12/22/impr...b-fabrication/

rickman December 22nd 17 08:16 PM

Your own PCBs?

Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote on 12/22/2017 1:51 PM:

https://hackaday.com/2017/12/22/impr...b-fabrication/

It doesn't look so much like he uses the laser to engrave PCBs as expose the
photoresist which still must be followed by etching. To me the etching is
the more awkward part of the whole process.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998

Brian Reay[_5_] December 22nd 17 08:36 PM

Your own PCBs?

On 22/12/2017 20:16, rickman wrote:
Gareth's Downstairs Computer wrote on 12/22/2017 1:51 PM:

https://hackaday.com/2017/12/22/impr...b-fabrication/

It doesn't look so much like he uses the laser to engrave PCBs as expose
the photoresist which still must be followed by etching.Â* To me the
etching is the more awkward part of the whole process.

I'm sure you are correct. While the idea is fine, the machine looks to
be one of the low power beasts sold on Ebay for £120-150 which,
according to the notes, have limited cutting (which is essentially what
you are doing) capability.

Of course, none of that negates the value of the video etc- getting the
pattern onto the board can be a pain. I tend to use Photo/UV etc. I've
never had much joy with 'iron transfer' methods.

You mentioned you found etching more awkward- each to their own. I find
that straight forward- provided you watch things. An outer 'water bath'
(warm) to maintain the temperature and agitation (I just wriggle the
tray) helps.