RadioBanter

-   -   [SSDN] Tom Swift had The Knack (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/260207-re-%5Bssdn%5D-tom-swift-had-knack.html)

[email protected] July 9th 18 03:48 AM

[SSDN] Tom Swift had The Knack

I quote:

"The Venus Equilateral" by George O. Smith may or may not mention ham
radio, but it's about a space station in the right place to relay
communication, somehow the author felt a need for people on the station.

So did Arthur Clarke. His novel which is credited with first mention of geostationary communication satellites assumed manned satellites. I believe there was some mention of a need to change tubes/valves.

Bob Netzlof - WB3IQE

Michael Black[_3_] July 10th 18 06:39 PM

[SSDN] Tom Swift had The Knack

On Sun, 8 Jul 2018, wrote:

I quote:

"The Venus Equilateral" by George O. Smith may or may not mention ham
radio, but it's about a space station in the right place to relay
communication, somehow the author felt a need for people on the station.

So did Arthur Clarke. His novel which is credited with first mention of
geostationary communication satellites assumed manned satellites. I
believe there was some mention of a need to change tubes/valves.

I thought his famous piece about satellites was a non-fiction article in
WIreless WOrld, in the mid forties.

Michael