Old March 15th 19, 04:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio

Default [M0NWK] OLED Display for Minitiouner V2

M0NWK

OLED Display for Minitiouner V2

http://www.m0nwk.co.uk/audio-video/o...initiouner-v2/

Its 11th March 2019 and Ive just added an OLED display to my MiniTiouner. A
simple, low cost, low effort addition to an already brilliant piece of kit.

This blog post shows how I did it.

Click the continue button to see more.

For this project I am using MiniTiouner V2 and MiniTioune v0.8 software.
MY PARTS LIST

Below is a list of parts I used in this project:

1.3 12864 IIC I2C SPI OLED display module
1 x 5 (or 3) pin HARWIN female connector
1 x 4 pin HARWIN female connector
8 x crimp connectors for HARWIN female connectors
4 x wires each of a different colour (I use alarm wire)

OLED I2C

Im not going to go into how I2C works. If you want to learn more about I2C
see linkĀ*here for a good explanation.
OLED PINS

The I2C OLED has four pins; VCC, GND, SCL and SDA.

MINITIOUNER PCB

Looking at the MiniTiouner PCB you can see J7 (highlighted red) has GND,
SCL and SDA pins but no +VCC.

I will be connecting the OLED +VCC to jumper J2 (highlighted yellow). I set
the DC-DC regulator to 3.75V when I initially built the MiniTiouner.

OLED TO MINITIOUNER WIRING

I made a small wiring loom. The 4 pin female connector is to be connected
to the OLED. The 5 pin female connector is for connecting to the J7 on the
MiniTiouner PCB. You could use a 3 pin connector as there are only 3 wires
but I think it looks more professional using 5.

I soldered the +VCC wire to the jumper for J2, which I made for the initial
build.

The photo below shows the connections from OLED to J2 and J7 on the
MiniTiouner PCB.

MODIFY MINITIOUNE SOFTWARE INI FILE

In the MiniTioune v0.8 directory is a file called minitioune.ini.

I opened the file and located the Display section. I changed value OLED=no
to OLED=yes.

I saved and closed the file.
TESTING THE OLED

I connected an antenna and power to the MiniTiouner then connected the
MiniTiouner to my PC using USB cable.

Power to the MiniTiouner was turned on and I opened the MiniTioune software
on the computer.

As soon as the software opened information was displayed on the OLED.

I checked the OLED was displaying the same information as displayed in the
software and it was.

NEXT STEPS

In the near future I will cut a window for the OLED in the front panel
using my milling machine.

Why not take a look at my YouTube channel hereĀ*or Twitter posts here.

You can also register for my website here.

Thanks

73 de M0NWK