RadioBanter

-   -   [WB4SON] Owning a Flex-6600M is a mixed bag (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/306359-%5Bwb4son%5D-owning-flex-6600m-mixed-bag.html)

WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin June 10th 21 06:37 PM

[WB4SON] Owning a Flex-6600M is a mixed bag

WB4SON

Owning a Flex-6600M is a mixed bag

https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=4429

A lifetime ago (in other words the year before the pandemic,), I purchased
a FlexRadio Flex-6600M, along with a Maestro Control Console for remote
operation.Â* My first year of use was plagued with problems with things that
seemed basic to me; like the internal tuner simply didnt work (refused to
find solutions to situations that presented a 3:1 SWR).Â* The software was
flaky, often requiring cold boots, and it corrupted an internal flash card
several times.Â* While certain parts of the radio fascinated me, it was so
frustrating to use that I left it unused almost a year.Â* That was very
disappointing, as it was the only radio I was aware of that allowed for
remote CW (although CW on a Flex is VERY glitchy).

A couple of months ago, Flex introduced a new firmware upgrade that fixed
the tuner issue (after a year of complaints).Â* It now works flawlessly, and
appears to handle a 10:1 situation.Â* In many ways, the radio seemed more
stable, but after a few weeks of operation the radio would refuse to work
on power-up.Â* Flex service responded, saying the radio needed a cold reset
(a rather long process).Â* That restored operation, but it would fail again
after a few days.Â* A promised firmware update fixed that issue, and
introduced other problems, which is typical of FlexRadio a fix often
results in other broken things.

So here is my dilemma, I really like the Flex6600M it is a fantastically
versatile receiver (multi-receiver, actually), and it has the best Noise
Reduction Ive ever used on 80 meters.Â* I love being able to use it from an
iPad or iPhone, remotely.Â* And important to me, it is the only radio that I
know of that allows for remote CW operation (my Yaesu FTDX-101MP with LAN
adapter does not).Â* However, Flex software updates tend to be buggy, and it
appears that no one who understands a CW operator was involved in the
development of the software (no ability to adjust weight, for example, and
missing or shortened elements while in break-in).

The latest software update, to fix some latency issues, and hopefully to
resolve the need for cold-resets, dropped a couple days ago.Â* Updating the
Flex6600M was fairly simple.Â* Updating the remote Maestro Control Console
was a major pain in the backside.Â* The process took over four hours and
requited user responses at least three of the times it applied a partial
update.Â* Flex blames it on Microsoft.Â* That may be true, but sounds more
like a poor design choice up front to me.

I still love it, and use it every week to participate in a late night CW
contest.Â* Like many things in life, it is a mix of good and bad.Â* I just
with FlexRadio would get serious about their software development, and get
it to the point where it was two steps forward and zero steps back.

wicklowham June 11th 21 11:51 AM

On 10/06/2021 18:37, WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

[...]

is typical of FlexRadioÂ* a fix often results in other broken things.

So here is my dilemma, I really like the Flex6600MÂ* it is a
[...]

Question from a Linux only user : Is there any Linux software to
operate the FLEX-6600M ?
If not ,it is a pity that most manufactured SDR equipment only works
with proprietory software.

Frank , EI7KS