RadioBanter

-   -   ANyoen ever make a "slim Jim" antenna? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/40336-anyoen-ever-make-%22slim-jim%22-antenna.html)

[email protected] January 19th 05 08:25 PM

ANyoen ever make a "slim Jim" antenna?

Do they work very well for a base antenna?

geir knutsen January 19th 05 09:28 PM

I have one running perfectly on APRS for over 6 months.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do they work very well for a base antenna?

Highland Ham January 20th 05 12:02 AM

Do they work very well for a base antenna?
=======================
It all depends on your type of use .
The 'Slim Jim' is a simple good omni-directional (base)antenna for local
comms ,either simplex or via repeater or for local datacomms like Packet
Radio and APRS.
The antenna can be easily home-brewed.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Larry Gagnon January 20th 05 06:04 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:25:06 -0800, stryped wrote:

Do they work very well for a base antenna?

Yes they do. But if you want a much better, very inexpensive and easy to
build base antenna ($10) try out this 2M colinear design:

http://home.comcast.net/~buck0/5-8thx2j.htm

I have built this for about $12 canadian and it is excellent!

Larry VE7EA
--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

[email protected] January 20th 05 01:37 PM

DOes this antenna have gain? WIll high winds mess uo the tuning section
or other part of the antenna?

[email protected] January 20th 05 01:38 PM

I am a nebie. What is aprs? Did you make the antenna? How far away from
the mast did you place it. I read they have to be at least 20 inches
away from anything metal.

Airy R.Bean January 20th 05 02:39 PM

I wonder why I am forming the impression that "stryped" is a troll?

oups.com...

[email protected] January 20th 05 03:10 PM

Airy R.Bean wrote:
I wonder why I am forming the impression that "stryped" is a troll?

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am a nebie. What is aprs? Did you make the antenna? How far away

from
the mast did you place it. I read they have to be at least 20

inches
away from anything metal.

I am not a troll I just ask alot of questions.

I printed off that copy of the 5/8 wave. It looks interesting but I am
having trouble undertanding its construction.

Larry Gagnon January 20th 05 05:22 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:37:40 -0800, stryped wrote:

DOes this antenna have gain? WIll high winds mess uo the tuning section or
other part of the antenna?

It is a stacked colinear antenna so has about 6.2dB of gain. Very
impressive. I have it on the roof of my house. We live 150metres from Juan
de Fuca Strait and often catch some very strong SW winds head on. The
antenna is still up and the tuning section hasn't moved!

Larry VE7EA

--
********************************

[email protected] January 20th 05 07:25 PM

Larry Gagnon wrote:
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 05:37:40 -0800, stryped wrote:

DOes this antenna have gain? WIll high winds mess uo the tuning

section or
other part of the antenna?

It is a stacked colinear antenna so has about 6.2dB of gain. Very
impressive. I have it on the roof of my house. We live 150metres from

Juan
de Fuca Strait and often catch some very strong SW winds head on. The
antenna is still up and the tuning section hasn't moved!

Larry VE7EA

--
to reply via email remove "fake"
Microsoft will soon release their newest product: a vacuum cleaner.
It will be their only product which doesn't suck.

I am having a little troubel understanding how to construct it. Can you
explain it to me? I am confused about the tuning section and how the
thing generally goes togther.