RadioBanter

-   -   Are there multi-tone AF generators? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/65089-there-multi-tone-af-generators.html)

Sparky February 21st 05 04:49 AM

Are there multi-tone AF generators?

The transmitter alignment instructions for my Icom 751A tranceiver
calls for a 2 tone input during the alignment process....

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

Are there AF generators out ther that will generate more than one
tone? The units I am seeing seem to generate just one tone (or at
least the used stuff out ther that I could afford)
Thanks!

Dave Platt February 21st 05 05:13 AM

The transmitter alignment instructions for my Icom 751A tranceiver
calls for a 2 tone input during the alignment process....

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

Are there AF generators out ther that will generate more than one
tone?

They do exist - I'm in the process of doing some restoration on an old
Singer tone generator which does arbitrary pairs of frequencies.

These days, the easiest way to create a tone combination is usually to
use PC software. Generate two sinewave tones at the two frequencies
you want, with 50% amplitude or less, then mix 'em with the
appropriate relative amplitudes. There's lotsa free software which
will do this - e.g. Audacity on Linux and no doubt many others.

You can then play the mixed file out through your PC sound card, or
burn it to a CD-R and use a portable CD player to reproduce the
sound... whichever is most convenient. In either case, feed the
line-level output signal to a fixed or variable attenuator to get the
voltage level you need.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

John Walton February 21st 05 02:06 PM

A Square Wave is all the harmonics of the fundamental, so a 1.9kHz square
wave will have all the harmonics which will complicate the measurement --

If you take a square wave and filter it you can get a relatively low
distortion fundamental -- it's much easier than you might think -- use an
NE556 dual timer to generate 1.9kHz and 1.3kHz square waves, combine with
10k resistors into an opamp buffer, filter with an MF-10 (now upgraded to
LMF100) switched capacitor low pass filter -- voila.

Airy R.Bean February 21st 05 02:41 PM

All the _ODD_ harmonics (including the fundamental as the 1st)
in inverse proportion to their harmonic number.

Michael Black February 21st 05 03:57 PM

"John Walton" ) writes:
A Square Wave is all the harmonics of the fundamental, so a 1.9kHz square
wave will have all the harmonics which will complicate the measurement --

If you take a square wave and filter it you can get a relatively low
distortion fundamental -- it's much easier than you might think -- use an
NE556 dual timer to generate 1.9kHz and 1.3kHz square waves, combine with
10k resistors into an opamp buffer, filter with an MF-10 (now upgraded to
LMF100) switched capacitor low pass filter -- voila.

And why not start with a sinewave oscillator in the first place? That's
the way it used to be done, two transistors each making up phase shift
oscillators.

A sqarewave won't complicate measurements, it will downright give
different results. The whole point of two-tone testing is that the
first tone causes a "carrier" out of the SSB transmitter (the single
tone translates to an RF frequency), and the second tone adds modulation.
If the tones aren't pure sinewave, the output of the transmitter will
be radically different.

Michael VE2BVW

Tim Wescott February 21st 05 04:55 PM

Michael Black wrote:

"John Walton" ) writes:

A Square Wave is all the harmonics of the fundamental, so a 1.9kHz square
wave will have all the harmonics which will complicate the measurement --

If you take a square wave and filter it you can get a relatively low
distortion fundamental -- it's much easier than you might think -- use an
NE556 dual timer to generate 1.9kHz and 1.3kHz square waves, combine with
10k resistors into an opamp buffer, filter with an MF-10 (now upgraded to
LMF100) switched capacitor low pass filter -- voila.

And why not start with a sinewave oscillator in the first place? That's
the way it used to be done, two transistors each making up phase shift
oscillators.

A square wave oscillator followed by a filter is, in some ways, easier
to implement than a phase-shift oscillator -- particularly if you want
well controlled frequency and amplitude without having to use
sophisticated AGC circuits.

A sqarewave won't complicate measurements, it will downright give
different results. The whole point of two-tone testing is that the
first tone causes a "carrier" out of the SSB transmitter (the single
tone translates to an RF frequency), and the second tone adds modulation.
If the tones aren't pure sinewave, the output of the transmitter will
be radically different.

That's probably why the guy doesn't advocate using it: he's recommending
a square wave that's heavily low-pass filtered to get rid of the
harmonics. If done right this will result in a clean stable sine wave
at the desired frequency.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Allodoxaphobia February 21st 05 05:27 PM

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 20:49:50 -0800, Sparky wrote:
The transmitter alignment instructions for my Icom 751A tranceiver
calls for a 2 tone input during the alignment process....

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

Are there AF generators out ther that will generate more than one
tone? The units I am seeing seem to generate just one tone (or at
least the used stuff out ther that I could afford)

Yep. To add to the other reponses, there are two-tone audio
generators used for two-tone control testing of commercial gear.
I've got one from my dad's estate that does two-tone-sequential
with adjustable duration for each tone, and two-tone-combined, and
single-tone. Thumbwheel freq(s) select from 100 cps to 9.999 kcs.
Pot adjustable tone durations (and delays), and levels.
It's probably 15-20 years old: Automated Industrial Electroncis
Corp., Model 2TSG-1.

They must show up on eBay from time-to-time. Google claims several
'hits' there -- but a search on eBay at this time shows none.

73
Jonesy

Caveat Lector February 21st 05 05:36 PM

Just FYI -- the Kenwood Station Monitor SM-230 provides a two tone output
for testing

But the IF input for the bandscope is for older Kenwood transceivers.

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams

Asimov February 21st 05 09:00 PM

"Caveat Lector" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Feb 05 09:36:46)
--- on the heady topic of " Are there multi-tone AF generators?"

CL From: "Caveat Lector"
CL Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:2274

CL Just FYI -- the Kenwood Station Monitor SM-230 provides a two tone
CL output for testing

A piano even does semi-tones... 10 at a time, 11 if you use your nose!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... Hanging: Early form of bungee jumping practiced in the old west.

Caveat Lector February 22nd 05 01:42 AM

"Asimov" wrote in message
"Caveat Lector" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Feb 05 09:36:46)
--- on the heady topic of " Are there multi-tone AF generators?"

CL From: "Caveat Lector"
CL Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:2274

CL Just FYI -- the Kenwood Station Monitor SM-230 provides a two tone
CL output for testing

A piano even does semi-tones... 10 at a time, 11 if you use your nose!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Hanging: Early form of bungee jumping practiced in the old west.

Great device (piano) for checking transmitters
In the off chance you or others don't know
2-tone IMD testing was the original topic --- see URL:
http://www.w8ji.com/transmitter_splatter.htm

Asimov February 22nd 05 04:12 AM

"Caveat Lector" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Feb 05 17:42:40)
--- on the heady topic of " Are there multi-tone AF generators?"

CL From: "Caveat Lector"
CL Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:2292

CL "Asimov" wrote in
CL message g...
"Caveat Lector" bravely wrote to "All" (21 Feb 05 09:36:46)
--- on the heady topic of " Are there multi-tone AF generators?"

CL From: "Caveat Lector"
CL Xref: aeinews rec.radio.amateur.homebrew:2274

CL Just FYI -- the Kenwood Station Monitor SM-230 provides a two tone
CL output for testing

A piano even does semi-tones... 10 at a time, 11 if you use your nose!

A*s*i*m*o*v

... Hanging: Early form of bungee jumping practiced in the old west.

CL Great device (piano) for checking transmitters
CL In the off chance you or others don't know
CL 2-tone IMD testing was the original topic --- see URL:
CL http://www.w8ji.com/transmitter_splatter.htm

I wrote that facetiously but I was really hinting of using a pc
soundcard. A sound card can produce very pure sinewaves from its FM
generator IC and most can play many dozens of notes at a time.

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... ...on the other hand, you also have 5 fingers.

Paul Keinanen February 22nd 05 08:04 AM

On Monday, 21 Feb 2005 16:00:56 -500, "Asimov"
wrote:

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

A piano even does semi-tones... 10 at a time, 11 if you use your nose!

With some kind of PC, search for a program that can generate multiple
tones (e.g. some electronic instrument imitations) or use two programs
capable of generating a sine wave and mix them together with the PC's
audio mixer and run the combined signal to the sound card output and
to an audio amplifier.

The hardest part is getting some kind of calibrated output level.

One way of doing this with very simple test gear would be to put a low
impedance 40 dB attenuator between the audio amplifier and the mic
input.

Using a single 50 or 60 Hz sine tone from the sound card and a DVM at
the amplifier output, adjust the amplifier output voltage to 300
mVrms, the microphone input will now be 3 mVrms. It is important to
use 50/60 Hz, since a typical DVM frequency response would be quite
bad at 1.3 or 1.9 kHz.

Now turn the 1.3 and 1.9 kHz tones on and make the transmitter
adjustments.

Paul OH3LWR

Allodoxaphobia February 22nd 05 05:23 PM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 17:55:14 -0500, Gary Schafer wrote:
On 21 Feb 2005 17:27:34 GMT, Allodoxaphobia
wrote:

[...]

That two tone generator is only two sequential tones. It will not
produce two tones at the same time. It is also pretty much of a square
wave coming out of it too. No good for ssb testing.
It was made for pager testing.
73
Gary K4FMX

Right you are!! My apologies!
I just fired it up and verified: 2-tone, combined is _not_ an option.

(Damn! The older I get - the more wrong stuff I remember...)

One way to 'fix' a square wave is to push it through one or more
audio transformers.

73
Jonesy

Gary Schafer February 22nd 05 05:39 PM

wrote:

[...]

Automated Industrial Electronics had an option where you could tie two
of those boxes together and generate two tones at once if I remember
right. Pretty rare though.

They did also make a specific two tone generator box for ssb. They did
have a pretty good sine wave out. You probably won't see many around
though.

73
Gary K4FMX

AB7RU February 22nd 05 06:32 PM

I wonder what kind of unit ICOM would use when they got to this step
in the transmitter alignment for my 751A when they are suppossed to
use the 2 tones... I emailed them, I'll post back what they say.
Mike AB7RU

[email protected] February 22nd 05 11:42 PM

From: Paul Keinanen on Tues, Feb 22 2005 12:04 am:

wrote:

"Insert 2 audio signals into the MIC Connector
1.9kHz at 3mV
1.3kHz at 3mV

A piano even does semi-tones... 10 at a time, 11 if you use your

nose!

With some kind of PC, search for a program that can generate multiple
tones (e.g. some electronic instrument imitations) or use two programs
capable of generating a sine wave and mix them together with the PC's
audio mixer and run the combined signal to the sound card output and
to an audio amplifier.

The hardest part is getting some kind of calibrated output level.

Paul, I don't want to sound critical here, but this newsgroup is
about "homebrew." In that light, I'd suggest a simple quad
op-amp circuited as two phase-shift oscillators (pick the AF
desired) out of two of the op-amps in the quad package, use
the third as a resistive summing mixer. The summing mixer
will have a low output impedance capable of driving anything
from low-Z to high-Z. Almost any quad op-amp IC will work
if their open-loop frequency response unity gain is at least
1 MHz (which is to say just about all of them). Use whatever
DC supply is handy (within the op-amp supply ranges).

The fourth op-amp in the package is either spare or can be
made into a preamp with its output mixing in the summing
mixer. Basic op-amp circuits and how to calculate them
are mature subjects and found in many texts and on the
Internet.

I doubt there is a "typical" DVM (of the handheld variety)
that cannot reach into AF with calibration, made anywhere.
Checking the DVM specs is a must if it is unknown. Even
the ultra-cheap oscilloscopes have response beyond AF.
[I had one of the original Heathkit model O-1 'scopes
made from a kit a half century ago, reached 50 KHz+
before rolling off 3 db in response...gave it away a decade
ago... :-) ]

"Hard to get a calibrated output?" I'll disagree if using the
simple single-IC generator I've described in general. A
phase-shift oscillator uses an R-C network which can be
configured as a low-pass filter (R in series, C in shunt).
Many textbooks have easy formulas for parts values. The
AF R-C filter loss is a known quantity at 180 degree phase
shift for oscillatory feedback...combine that with an op-amp
gain set by resistor feedback (the DVM can check the
resistance values rather accurately) and the output sine
voltage will be constant. The summing mixer output can
have a gain of unity if desired, or any value needed. The
output into a microphone input can be done with a one-
or two-stage resistive voltage divider (depending on parts
values available). The ohmmeter part of a DVM can
check the resistor values and the level into the
microphone input can be calculated on paper.

No computer with sound card needed. Just a little
perf-board assembly (if quick assembly desired),
may be battery powered or by a cheap series
regulator IC from a cheap wall-wart. The op-amps
insure low distortion at AF from all the negative
feedback setting the closed-loop gains low. Output
AF voltage stability will be good if the DC supply is
stable.

For those that don't want to go through the hassle of
calculating anything, use a DTMF assembly from a
junked telephone (of the North American variety, haven't
checked other world regions). They automatically
generate two simultaneous audio tones out of a choice
of 8 frequencies; four frequencies in a "low band," four
in a "high band" the "bands" on either side of about
1 KHz.

If I remember correctly from a project of three decades
ago, the Bell System specifications required a fairly
pure sine for each of the tones selected. Don't have
the specs now. As I recall, the early Western Electric
telephone sets used only two transistors for DTMF
generation so a homebuilt two-tone generator is NOT
difficult to make from scratch.

retired (from regular hours) electronic engineer person

Gary Schafer February 23rd 05 12:04 AM

I can't imagine what they want a two tone signal for in alignment.
Maybe to set the alc level?

To do much else with it you also need a spectrum analyzer.

73
Gary K4FMX

Caveat Lector February 23rd 05 12:51 AM

It is a standard transmitter test for IMD determination
See URL:
http://rfdesign.com/mag/radio_twotone_imd_measurement/

Paul Keinanen February 23rd 05 01:59 AM

On 22 Feb 2005 15:42:00 -0800, wrote:

Paul, I don't want to sound critical here, but this newsgroup is
about "homebrew." In that light, I'd suggest a simple quad
op-amp circuited as two phase-shift oscillators (pick the AF
desired) out of two of the op-amps in the quad package, use
the third as a resistive summing mixer.

Did I miss something or are you suggesting using a Wien bridge circuit
as an audio oscillator ? How should the amplitude be stabilised in
order to get nearly a sine wave output ?

While I guess that quite a few radio amateurs with professional
background in electronics are following this newsgroup, do not forget
that most young radio amateurs (with limited test equipments) are much
more used to playing with computer programming and computer hardware
than working with circuit design.

Both the traditional approach as well as some more day to day approach
is required, in order to make amateur radio a viable hobby even in the
future.

Paul OH3LWR

Gary Schafer February 23rd 05 07:44 PM

Yes I know it is a standard IMD test. :) That is why I asked what
they were doing with two tones without a spectrum analyzer.

You left out the last part of my post.
"To do much else with it you also need a spectrum analyzer."

73
Gary K4FMX

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:51:08 -0800, "Caveat Lector"
wrote:

It is a standard transmitter test for IMD determination
See URL:
http://rfdesign.com/mag/radio_twotone_imd_measurement/

--
Caveat Lector (Reader Beware)
Help The New Hams
Someone Helped You
Or did You Forget That ?

.. .

Dave Platt February 23rd 05 07:57 PM

In article ,
Gary Schafer wrote:

Yes I know it is a standard IMD test. :) That is why I asked what
they were doing with two tones without a spectrum analyzer.

You left out the last part of my post.
"To do much else with it you also need a spectrum analyzer."

Here's my guess: it's a standard, which would be available in almost
any professional radio test lab.

Hence, it may simply be a convenient signal to use when performing
ALC and audio-pathway calibrations.

As is sometimes said, "The best thing about a standard is, sometimes,
that it's a standard. If it happens to be a _good_ standard, so much
the better!"

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

[email protected] February 23rd 05 11:35 PM

On 22 Feb 2005 15:42:00 -0800, wrote:

Paul, I don't want to sound critical here, but this newsgroup is
about "homebrew." In that light, I'd suggest a simple quad
op-amp circuited as two phase-shift oscillators (pick the AF
desired) out of two of the op-amps in the quad package, use
the third as a resistive summing mixer.

Did I miss something or are you suggesting using a Wien bridge circuit
as an audio oscillator ? How should the amplitude be stabilised in
order to get nearly a sine wave output ?

I suggested an R-C Phase Shift oscillator. With a resistor
feedback to set the gain of the op-amp to just overcome the
loss in the R-C network (3 caps, same value; 3 resistors,
same value) feeding back to itself. It isn't much used but it
has appeared in nearly all textbooks I've got. With stable
supply voltages, the sinewave output will be fairly pure and
reasonably constant in amplitude.

While I guess that quite a few radio amateurs with professional
background in electronics are following this newsgroup, do not forget
that most young radio amateurs (with limited test equipments) are much
more used to playing with computer programming and computer hardware
than working with circuit design.

Well that may be, but consider that a personal computer
CANNOT build all of the simple sources (and attenuator)
necessary for a two-tone IMD test of a transmitter.

Don't get me wrong on computers. I think they are one
of the miracles of technology of the last millennium. I've
written my own circuit analysis program(s) and wrote a
filter component synthesis (and response analysis)
program on my PC and have used them extensively. They
are excellent in SIMULATING a given circuit (with the
proper modeling). Computers cannot build a circuit and
sometimes need extra, out-board circuits to function in
a particular application (a 40 db attenuator for example).

A single DVM and a hot soldering iron are basic tools
for any hobby electronics workshop, but they have
limitations on what they can do. If I wanted a "first
look" on the purity of a sinewave, I'd check it with an
oscilloscope first. A DVM would read the average (or
whatever) amplitude, depending on its AC limitations,
but that's about the limit. A simple oscilloscope
doesn't cost the same as a couple of mortgage
payments but it WILL show the purity of a generated
sinewave, something necessary to prove that an IMD
two-tone test source IS good enough for test purposes.
There are limitations on what a particular hobby
workshop can do; sometimes what one wants to do
conflicts with what must be there to accomplish
something. That alone will determine what "the
future" planning must be.

Both the traditional approach as well as some more day to day approach
is required, in order to make amateur radio a viable hobby even in the
future.

I don't know what the "traditional approach" is in
regards to a hobby activity (homebrewing IS a
hobby activity). I've been a hobbyist in various
electronics since 1947, a computer programming
hobbyist since 1976. Doing some things requires
more workshop equipment than a DVM and a hot
soldering iron. Doing some things requires self-
education into the whichness of the what in
circuitry in order to accomplish something. That's
just the way things are in a technologically
oriented hobby...like amateur radio activity
beyond just using radio equipment to talk to
people far away.

Bill M February 23rd 05 11:42 PM

wrote:

Well that may be, but consider that a personal computer
CANNOT build all of the simple sources (and attenuator)
necessary for a two-tone IMD test of a transmitter.

Might not be able to 'build' a tone generator but can certainly generate
a pair of tones...adjustable to boot.

-Bill

John Walton February 24th 05 06:28 PM

I can get down to 0.01% THD with 4th order active filtering of a square
wave -- as measured on an HP339 THD analyzer. For the fellow who had asked
the original question I suggested the switched cap filter -- but there is
always going to be some noise clocking through. Using the interactive
filter software on Analog Devices or Texas Instruments website is pretty
easy, but necessitates more parts.

Sorry not to have included "odd harmonics" but I guess you know what I
meant.