RadioBanter

-   -   VHF Aviation Receivers (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/66720-vhf-aviation-receivers.html)

Netgeek March 13th 05 09:42 PM

VHF Aviation Receivers

I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium" (e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to construct
something made from "actually available" components???

Thanks for any help...

Harold E. Johnson March 13th 05 09:52 PM

I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium"

(e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to

construct
something made from "actually available" components???

The band in question is AM and the 13135 is an FM chip with discriminator. A
perfectly fine lineup for your needs is any of the DBM's from Mini Circuits
Labs or build you own with a few diodes and a couple of ferrite beads, the
MC 1496/1596 is still very much available, even made the transition to SSOP
if your tastes run to small and surface mount. Low side injection with an AD
9851 or high side with a 9951 DDS. With the channel spacing up there, a
selection of an inexpensive Murata filter will do your selectivity, and
audio is a VERY wide selection.

W4ZCB

Reg Edwards March 13th 05 11:08 PM

Get youself an inexpensive collection of readily available parts from
rallies and car boot sales and then ask yourself what you can make out of
it.
----
Reg.

bigamps March 13th 05 11:50 PM

Netgeek wrote:
I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium" (e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to construct
something made from "actually available" components???

Thanks for any help...

Kits:
http://www.hamtronics.com/r121.htm
http://www.vectronics.com/products.php?prodid=VEC-131K
http://www.hobbytron.net/R-AR-1.html
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi...ction&key=AR1C
schematic and other info on one of the kits:
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/aviarx/aviarx.html

kits are an easy way to get those Unobtainium plated parts in small
quantities.

Netgeek March 14th 05 02:21 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered the Ramsey kit as a way to have
something to play with for now.

Next step is to lash together either a PLL-VCO combo or DDS to
control the tuning from a cheapo processor (e.g. PIC). Any
suggested starting points for this would be much appreciated (for
example "National LMX2xxx plus Minicircuits xx" or "forget that,
AD DDS is better because.......")....8-).

The guts of the Ramsey widget consists of an SA602 and an
MC1350 (single conversion with 10.7 Mhz IF). Potential ways to
"improve" upon this???

Thanks again.
Bill (RF Newbie - but willing to learn 8-)...

Henry Kolesnik March 14th 05 11:34 PM

It would be easier to convert an old AM/FM tuner or AM/FM stereo and you can
get them all over the place for a few bucks. Tube types are collector
items but the older SS ones with discreet components and ICs are considered
pretty much obsolete. Find one with an open tuning cap and remove a plate
or two, or rewind the coils (too much work) or replace the enclosed tuning
cap with an open one. Add an 11 mhz osc and use the 455Kc IF stage and AM
detector.

--

73
Hank WD5JFR

[email protected] March 15th 05 12:03 AM

From: "Netgeek" on Sun, Mar 13 2005 4:42 pm

I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a

receiver
for
the VHF 108-118 Mhz band. I've found lots of great ideas and

reference
designs
out there but they're all constructed of parts made from "unobtainium"

(e.g.
old
MC13135/6, MC1350, etc., etc.)...

Can anyone on this group point me to some designs/ideas for how to

construct
something made from "actually available" components???

Firstly, 108 to 118 MHz is the international civil
aviation radionavigation band. It's not all that
interesting to listen to unless a local tower is
also repeating voice comms over a VOR or Localizer
radionav transmitter nearby on the ground. The
civil aviation voice band is 118 to 137 MHz.

Secondly, the MC1350 gain block is available from
Jameco (it is still made after buying all the masking
and stuff from Motorola). You can get MC1349s, a
slightly higher gain version from Dieter Gentzow at
Kitsandparts.com; I got 18 of them just before
Christmas along with some other good parts. Good
service from Kitsandparts, great source of toroid
cores.

There's still lots of legacy ICs available out there
but you may have to search for sources.

If you are trying to build something at VHF, you
will need some reasonably accurate signal sources
to check out the receiver. That's not a trivial
task unless all you want is to carbon-copy some
regen or super-regen tuned-by-a-single-variable
sort of receiver.

Jameco sells the MC145151 PLL IC (On Semiconductor
the Motorola spin-off still makes them) which, with
a prescaler, can make a good, stable LO that is
channelized at 50 KHz increments for precise tuning.
MC145151 is parallel-load for division, no extra
IC needed to get the right division ratio as in
some serial-input PLL or DDS chips.

Lots of inexpensive "all-band" radios off the shelf
include the aviation band, those in addition to all
the available VHF scanner receivers. Those all work
better and more reliably than simple regens and
super-regens in my observation.

Netgeek March 15th 05 02:20 AM

Len,

Thanks for the input and observations! Comments follow:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Firstly, 108 to 118 MHz is the international civil
aviation radionavigation band. It's not all that
interesting to listen to unless a local tower is
also repeating voice comms over a VOR or Localizer
radionav transmitter nearby on the ground. The
civil aviation voice band is 118 to 137 MHz.

Agreed - not that interesting to listen to, but the NAV
channels are exactly what I'm interested in - (both VOR
and LOC). The "experiment" I have in mind is a processor
controlled scanner of sorts that tracks multiple VORs
and performs as a backup to GPS. Hence the need for
fast/agile tuning (either PLL or DDS). As you may have
gathered - I'm not an "RF guy" by any stretch - but I'm
attempting to learn (out of sheer necessity 8-).....

Secondly, the MC1350 gain block is available from
Jameco (it is still made after buying all the masking
and stuff from Motorola). You can get MC1349s, a
slightly higher gain version from Dieter Gentzow at
Kitsandparts.com

I'm not locked in to the MC1350 - it just happens to be
what's used in the "ultra-cheap" kit I ordered. As it turns
out, there's a company (Lansdale.com) that seems to be
forming a business model around buying "obsolete" IP
from Motorola et.al. and keeping the parts available.
Interesting idea. As it happens, NTE has a drop-in
replacement part for the MC1350 in their "NTE746" -
available from Mouser. May be of interest to some on
this group???

If you are trying to build something at VHF, you
will need some reasonably accurate signal sources
to check out the receiver. That's not a trivial
task unless all you want is to carbon-copy some
regen or super-regen tuned-by-a-single-variable
sort of receiver.

Well, even though (as I said) I'm not an RF-type I do
have quite a bit of test equipment laying around that I've
collected over the years. Among that stuff is an HP8654A
good to about 520 MHz that I've never used (and for the
life of me can't figure why I bought 8-)........

Jameco sells the MC145151 PLL IC (On Semiconductor
the Motorola spin-off still makes them) which, with
a prescaler, can make a good, stable LO that is
channelized at 50 KHz increments for precise tuning.
MC145151 is parallel-load for division, no extra
IC needed to get the right division ratio as in
some serial-input PLL or DDS chips.

Thanks for the tip - I'm concerned about how long
such a thing might be available though. For now the
safest bet seems to be the National LMX series (or
the Analog Devices equivalents) - and adding a
processor for control is not a problem.

Thanks again for your input - it is appreciated!!!
Regards,
Bill

[email protected] March 15th 05 02:33 AM

Netgeek wrote:
Len,

Thanks for the input and observations! Comments follow:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Firstly, 108 to 118 MHz is the international civil
aviation radionavigation band. It's not all that
interesting to listen to unless a local tower is
also repeating voice comms over a VOR or Localizer
radionav transmitter nearby on the ground. The
civil aviation voice band is 118 to 137 MHz.

Agreed - not that interesting to listen to, but the NAV
channels are exactly what I'm interested in - (both VOR
and LOC). The "experiment" I have in mind is a processor
controlled scanner of sorts that tracks multiple VORs
and performs as a backup to GPS. Hence the need for
fast/agile tuning (either PLL or DDS). As you may have
gathered - I'm not an "RF guy" by any stretch - but I'm
attempting to learn (out of sheer necessity 8-).....

snip

Neither the range nor the accuracy of VORs is all that great on
the ground.

What do you intend to do with this doo-dad other than experiment if
I may ask?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2 March 15th 05 03:06 AM

"Netgeek" writes:

Len,

Thanks for the input and observations! Comments follow:

Agreed - not that interesting to listen to, but the NAV
channels are exactly what I'm interested in - (both VOR
and LOC). The "experiment" I have in mind is a processor
controlled scanner of sorts that tracks multiple VORs
and performs as a backup to GPS. Hence the need for
fast/agile tuning (either PLL or DDS). As you may have
gathered - I'm not an "RF guy" by any stretch - but I'm
attempting to learn (out of sheer necessity 8-).....

HAH! I did **EXACTLY** that project back in 1996 or so.

Used the 145151 PLL that someone else reccomended.

The RX was the ... crud .. can't remember the part number ... That
motorola 3300 part that was so popular. 3356 maybe?

Used a cheap 567 to track the FM part of the signal, and a simple
envelope detector for the AM part. It was barely adequate for
close-in stuff, and for long range stations, the noise performance was
terrible.

The outputs of the two detectors went into a two-channel 8-bit ADC and
were read by the CPU.

Used a 68HC000 for the CPU, and had a database of VOR stations burned
into the ROM.

The cleverest piece of code was the CW decoder that was used to ID the
stations.

It would tune around, listening to IDs and take a
best-guess at where it was, then build a list of stations to scan,
stopping on each one for a second to get a RMI fix. (There was a
little crude LPF to help with the noise performance. Not that it did
much good... )

I found some nice 4-line x 20 char LCD displays at a local junque
shop, with ENORMOUS characters. 0.6" I Think .. Just HUGE for LCDs
.... It would do a scrolling display of the form

SJC 025 nm @ 036
OAK 044 nm @ xxx

etc.

All in all it was a fun project -- with lots of cool learning
experiences. In terms of practicality, the performance was never
spectacular, RF noise from the CPU section would get into the IF
(21.4 MHz)... it made a neat cockpit toy, but I would **NEVER** have
considered it even a backup aid to navigation.

Just writing about this is making lots of little details come back to
me. Feel free to e-mail and I'll bend your ear.

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Lawrence Statton - m s/aba/c/g
Computer software consists of only two components: ones and
zeros, in roughly equal proportions. All that is required is to
sort them into the correct order.

RST Engineering March 15th 05 04:11 AM

Firstly, 108 to 118 MHz is the international civil
aviation radionavigation band. It's not all that
interesting to listen to unless a local tower is
also repeating voice comms over a VOR or Localizer
radionav transmitter nearby on the ground. The
civil aviation voice band is 118 to 137 MHz.

Firstly, the tower does NOT repeat voice comms over a VOR. The local Flight
Service Station MIGHT, but in the days of crystal controlled navcoms, the
amount of voice traffic on a VOR is next to nothing.

Secondly, the tower/FSS will never in HELL repeat something on a localizer
frequency.

You are correct; the civilian aviation voice band is 118.000 to 136.975 MHz.

Jameco sells the MC145151 PLL IC (On Semiconductor
the Motorola spin-off still makes them) which, with
a prescaler, can make a good, stable LO that is
channelized at 50 KHz increments for precise tuning.
MC145151 is parallel-load for division, no extra
IC needed to get the right division ratio as in
some serial-input PLL or DDS chips.

The 145151 is OK if you don't mind spurs every 25 kHz. from dc to daylight.
The 145152 is a much better dual-modulo prescaler that gets rid of a lot of
trash and garbage from single modulo prescaling that you probably don't
want.

Jim

RST Engineering March 15th 05 04:14 AM

I'm not locked in to the MC1350 - it just happens to be
what's used in the "ultra-cheap" kit I ordered. As it turns
out, there's a company (Lansdale.com) that seems to be
forming a business model around buying "obsolete" IP
from Motorola et.al. and keeping the parts available.
Interesting idea. As it happens, NTE has a drop-in
replacement part for the MC1350 in their "NTE746" -
available from Mouser. May be of interest to some on
this group???

The absolute minimum operating voltage for the MC1350 is 12 volts. Not
11.9, 12. If this is a mobile application, then figure on a switching power
supply to get you up to 15 volts or so.

Among that stuff is an HP8654A
good to about 520 MHz that I've never used (and for the
life of me can't figure why I bought 8-)........

Oh, I'll take it off your hands for $20 or so {;-)

Jim

[email protected] March 15th 05 05:43 AM

From: "RST Engineering" Mon, Mar 14 2005 8:11
pm

Firstly, 108 to 118 MHz is the international civil
aviation radionavigation band. It's not all that
interesting to listen to unless a local tower is
also repeating voice comms over a VOR or Localizer
radionav transmitter nearby on the ground. The
civil aviation voice band is 118 to 137 MHz.

Firstly, the tower does NOT repeat voice comms over a VOR. The local

Flight
Service Station MIGHT, but in the days of crystal controlled navcoms,

the
amount of voice traffic on a VOR is next to nothing.

Now, now, Jim. They do.

My residence is a mile and a half from BUR, roughly
eight miles from VNY here in the San Fernando Valley
area of Los Angeles.

Agreed, tower operators SELDOM repeat their transmissions
over the VOR but it is there in case it is needed. I've
heard them often enough.

VOR has an almost enormous bandwidth between 30 Hz and
the 9.96 KHz subcarrier phase reference...which was
INTENDED to carry voice as a conventience to the tower.

BUR, now the Bob Hope Airport, USED to carry the taped
weather broadcasts over their VOR but stopped several
years ago.

Secondly, the tower/FSS will never in HELL repeat something on a

localizer
frequency.

Calm down. I may still vote for you next election,
but not if you act like Arnie... :-)

Hokay, I may have spoken hastily on the voice over
Localizer. Color me "probably wrong" there.

You are correct; the civilian aviation voice band is 118.000 to

136.975 MHz.

Thank you. Sigh, I was only in the business of making
civil avionics and their test sets once. :-)

Jameco sells the MC145151 PLL IC (On Semiconductor
the Motorola spin-off still makes them) which, with
a prescaler, can make a good, stable LO that is
channelized at 50 KHz increments for precise tuning.
MC145151 is parallel-load for division, no extra
IC needed to get the right division ratio as in
some serial-input PLL or DDS chips.

The 145151 is OK if you don't mind spurs every 25 kHz. from dc to

daylight.

Sorry, I don't agree there. "Spurs" with an ordinary
PLL happen when the loop filter component values are
incorrect...and/or a higher frequency pole is used
(via an extra R and C in loop filter)to reduce higher
frequency components out of the PFD.

I've made a few PLLs with that MC145151 for homebrew
projects and not had any spurs from "DC to daylight"
or within the band of interest.

The 145152 is a much better dual-modulo prescaler that gets rid of a

lot of
trash and garbage from single modulo prescaling that you probably

don't
want.

I've not tried the 145152 but, back a number of years
before On Semi split from Motorola Semi, a Motorola
factory person said the 152 is essentially the same as
the 151 except for the serial data interface. I can't
vouch for that but that's what I remember.

Single modulus prescaling (putting a simple divide by
8 or divide by 10 in series with the VCO and PLL IC
signal input) doesn't produce any more #$%^&!!! stuff
than going direct into the PLL IC signal input. That
is said PROVIDED the loop filter output line to the
VCO it is controlling is "clean" and doesn't pick up
other circuit signals. Such garbage pickup is the
common cause of "spurs" and is layout dependent, NOT
dependent on whether or not any prescaling is done.
There's some dependency on proper supply rail decoupling
for the phase-frequency detector and any active op-amps
used between the loop filter and VCO control input.

By the way, I've used the MC1350 down to 10 V supply
rails with no problem although I do agree with it
running optimally (for gain and noise figure) at 12 V
supply. There's a lot of internal constant current
sources on that IC and that causes the dependency on
supply voltage. The same with the MC1349 which I'm
working with now as both gain blocks and as mixers.
I've worked with the MC1590 metal can original 34
years ago and the plastic package 1350 since 31 years
ago. I like it as a little block of gain which has
low distortion when running balanced input to balanced
output...on up to 70 MHz with hardly any gain rolloff.

Paul Keinanen March 15th 05 08:09 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 16:42:18 -0500, "Netgeek"
wrote:

I'd like to build some homebrew VHF-AM receivers - specifically a receiver
for the VHF 108-118 Mhz band.

Note that the FM broadcast band is just below that band with lot of
strong transmitters, so any configuration with low side local
oscillator injection and the more or less standard 10.7 MHz first IF
is most likely going to give image frequency problems from FM
broadcast stations in the 86.6 .. 96.6 MHz range. To avoid this, a
good narrow tunable filter is required in front of the first mixer,
which can be a problem if good frequency agility is required.

One approach would be to use a much larger first IF or put the local
oscillator above the desired band (which also swaps the sidebands)
with image responses in the rest of the aviation band.

One idea would be to use a fixed downconverter e.g. with a 98 MHz
crystal frequency, mixing the VOR band down to 10-20 MHz, filter out
the strong mixing products from the FM broadcast band that is on
frequencies below 10 MHz and use a DDS with I/Q outputs to get I/Q
demodulation of the signal.

Paul OH3LWR

Netgeek March 15th 05 04:31 PM

wrote in message

Neither the range nor the accuracy of VORs is all that great on
the ground.

What do you intend to do with this doo-dad other than experiment if
I may ask?

For now it is strictly entertainment/education. If it works out, however,
I plan to use it as part of a complete FMS for something like this:

http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuil...ng%20flea.html

Good point about the range/accuracy on the ground - I'll do a special
version for Moeller and Bede products 8-).....

Netgeek March 15th 05 05:10 PM

From: "Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2"

HAH! I did **EXACTLY** that project back in 1996 or so.
snip
Used a 68HC000 for the CPU, and had a database of VOR stations burned
into the ROM.
All in all it was a fun project -- with lots of cool learning
experiences.

Sounds like a cool project! *MANY* years ago (circa 1984 or so?)
I had a plan to tear off the front panel of an RST radio I built and
replace it with a display, some controls and a zillion parallel bits to
replace all the thumbwheels switches - all driven by a Z80. I
eventually decided it would take way too long and didn't
accomplish much, besides just being a generally stupid idea 8-)..
So I sold the radio...

Now, twenty years later I'm playing with *this* project! All of
which proves that I now have way too much time on my hands and
I'm getting more stupid as I age 8-)......

Would like to hear more about your experiences. So, what would
you do differently if you were starting over?

I'm thinking that something like a cheapo DSP (or one of the new
dsPIC widgets) might be real handy. But first - I have to get past
the part where I have a reasonable RF front end! I really doubt that
the $40 Ramsey kit is going to do much but I bet I'll learn a few
things 8-)........

Netgeek March 15th 05 05:27 PM

"RST Engineering" wrote in message

The absolute minimum operating voltage for the MC1350 is 12 volts. Not
11.9, 12. If this is a mobile application, then figure on a switching

power
supply to get you up to 15 volts or so.

Thanks for that tip - it will be the first "improvement" to the cheapo
Ramsey receiver (which runs off 9 volts). The power supply is something
I *can* handle easily 8-)...

Among that stuff is an HP8654A
good to about 520 MHz that I've never used (and for the
life of me can't figure why I bought 8-)........

Oh, I'll take it off your hands for $20 or so {;-)
Jim

Well, give it a few weeks! Once the frustration level gets high
enough and I realize that I'm really a bit-banger and not a radio-head
I may be tempted to toss it (and anything else RF related) out the
window - in which case I'll pack it up and donate it to you 8-)...

In the meantime, any other suggested improvements or hints are
most appreciated (e.g. "up the IF from 10.7"?)...!

Thanks,
Bill (Who still thinks the universe *IS* digital - but infinite resolution
8-)

Netgeek March 15th 05 05:49 PM

"Paul Keinanen" wrote in message

One idea would be to use a fixed downconverter e.g. with a 98 MHz
crystal frequency, mixing the VOR band down to 10-20 MHz, filter out
the strong mixing products from the FM broadcast band that is on
frequencies below 10 MHz and use a DDS with I/Q outputs to get I/Q
demodulation of the signal.

Thank you Paul - I'd like to look into this. Can you point me to some
practical examples or reference materials to start with? Quite some
time ago I ran across the articles from the flex-radio.com guys and
was very interested in their approach. It's my understanding (and I
mean a fairly fuzzy understanding) that direct conversion has many
benefits but is limited to lower bands (unless you're the military with
a big budget)??? What are the trade-offs in doing a downconversion
followed by DDS-based conversion?

Paul Keinanen March 16th 05 07:31 AM

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:49:01 -0500, "Netgeek"
wrote:

It's my understanding (and I
mean a fairly fuzzy understanding) that direct conversion has many
benefits but is limited to lower bands (unless you're the military with
a big budget)??? What are the trade-offs in doing a downconversion
followed by DDS-based conversion?

My suggestion of using a DDS for direct conversion in the 10-20 MHz
range is based on the assumption that DDS chips running with 50-60 MHz
clock frequency should be available at a quite a reasonable price,
compared to similar chips running at 400 - 500 MHz, which would be
required for direct synthesis in the VHF band.

However, translating the whole band down to HF requires a strong down
converter, especially due to the nearby strong signal broadcast band.
Some flimsy NE602 type converter will not survive very well in such
environment, but a high current preamplifier followed by a diode ring
mixer might be a better converter.

Paul OH3LWR

[email protected] March 16th 05 08:58 PM

From: "Netgeek" on Tues, Mar 15 2005 12:49 pm

[...]

Direct conversion (DC) won't be effective on this
application for reasons of the civil aviation band
being AM with no pilot carrier or other reference.
Look into the allowed carrier tolerances and you will
see that, unless you can definitely LOCK onto the
incoming carrier, there will be a great change in the
modulation information, both in frequency and phase.

That is particularly true with VOR. The ground
station antenna pattern is (now) electronically
rotated at 30 Hz and the reference phase
(representing magnetic north) is FM on the 9 KHz
subcarrier. Without a proper phase relationship,
the bearing signal will be very inaccurate.

The VOR system was designed/innovated/invented over
a half century ago and was elegant in simplicity
for simple circuitry in vacuum-state hardware. The
first lightweight VOR receivers in light aircraft
used a (very old technology) small goniometer as
part of the OBS or Omni-Bearing Selector and their
accuracies were dependent on how well the goniometer
was designed and manufactured. [a goniometer is a
coaxial spherical toroid pair, best illustrated in
"Lowfer" or low frequency - below AM BC band -
small handbooks and some websites] More modern
versions use an electronic equivalent of phase
shifting at 30 Hz as part of the OBS subsystem.

A VOR antenna pattern rotation results in about
30% AM at a 30 Hz rate. The magnetic north phase
reference is 30 Hz FM on the 9960 KHz subcarrier.
The FM demodulation will have a limiter stage ahead
of it to effectively wash-out the 30% AM of the
ground station antenna pattern rotation. In
between the 30 Hz of the ground antenna pattern
rotation and about 8 KHz or so of the lower limit
of the 30 Hz FM on subcarrier phase reference is
"empty space" that was reserved for optional AM
from a local Flight Service Station (FSS) or tower
transmission. In short, the elegance of the
concept was ideally suited to vacuum tube circuitry,
that being an almost ultimate simplicity at the
time...and very light weight necessary for aircraft.

The "big bucks" of military electronics doesn't go
wild over fancy schmancy arrangements of the very
"in" modern complications. Those "big bucks" are
spent in making the hardware work over the totally
gargantuan range of temperatures and physical shock
and vibration that would tear apart consumer
electronics style structures. The civil avionics
market is not, nor has it ever been, large compared
to consumer electronics products, hence their costs
appear high.

There IS room for experimentation in ways to
demodulate the VOR information, don't get me wrong.
What you must do is to FIRST concentrate on the
characteristics of how the bearing information is
conveyed...along with all the problems introduced
by multi-path distortion from ground objects around
you. Those problems aren't there in the aircraft
flying a few thousand feet above all those reflecting
objects. [an exception is a VOR in a helicopter and
its own rotors...but that is another story in itself]

Just because the FM BC band upper end is at 108 MHz
doesn't automatically mean there WILL be RFI to the
receiver. That's a matter of checking a local area
to find where all those fixed FM BC carriers are and
how strong they are. Aircraft VOR receivers have
been overflying all sorts of FM BC stations for a
half century all over the world and there aren't
any stories (except invented horror tales) of terrible
interference from FM. Simpler civilian receivers,
not the "big bucks" of military aircraft.

Just offhand, I'd say a simple, even tube-based,
bearing information receiver can be hacked together
to get +/-5 degrees accuracy using the simplest
circuitry with minimum test equipment to check it out.
Anything better is just finesse, bottoming out at the
basic accuracy of whatever VOR ground station is used.
That would be +/-1 degree but worse from any ground
reception multi-path effects.

VOR (Very high frequency Omnidirectional radio Range)
was designed only for aircraft obtaining bearing
information to a fixed ground station. That's a
limited application although extremely important to
pilots. A half century ago it was a quantum leap
above older raw-DF-style radionavigation. GPS it
ain't, nor never was...

RST Engineering March 16th 05 10:11 PM

I'd probably jack the IF up to 45 MHz. (use TV parts; this is the TV IF
frequency) or 70 MHz. (satellite IF frequency), and then downconvert to
either 21.4 or 10.7...there are cheap crystal filters at both frequencies.

Jim

Netgeek March 16th 05 10:15 PM

wrote in message

Direct conversion (DC) won't be effective on this
application for reasons of the civil aviation band
being AM with no pilot carrier or other reference.

SNIP - [lots of good information]

VOR (Very high frequency Omnidirectional radio Range)
was designed only for aircraft obtaining bearing
information to a fixed ground station. That's a
limited application although extremely important to
pilots. A half century ago it was a quantum leap
above older raw-DF-style radionavigation. GPS it
ain't, nor never was...

Well, that was certainly a very informative and well thought
out response! But GEEZ, Len, you're starting to take all the
fun out of this by insisting on injecting reality!!!....8-)

Here I was - with soldering iron warmed up and pile of odd
looking components (SA-614, MC1350, NE567, inductors,
IF transformers and all kinds of other "stuff" that's unfamiliar)
and now my hopes are dashed............

I even checked Mouser, Digikey et. al. - and they're fresh out
of goniometers - so there goes *that* approach...8-(

But seriously - let's look at the potential utility of a fairly "mindless"
NAV receiver as it might apply to the non-instrumented-rated,
day-VFR "Sport" or "Recreational" pilot. First off, these guys
believe that GPS coupled to a simple moving map display represents
not only the holy grail - but they'd be willing (foolishly) to bet their
lives on this sole-source nav capability (never mind simple "dead
reckoning" or other elementary - e.g. "follow roads" forms of
navigation). If the batteries run out on the GPS - or the guys at
Cheyenne Mountain pull the big red lever marked "scramble GPS"
for whatever reason - they're in big trouble. Standard VOR-based
equipment would give them a way out - but they don't have it ('cause
it costs too much) and they wouldn't know how to effectively use it
anyway ('cause they aren't instrument rated). Some form of relatively
simple (albeit far from accurate) NAV capability would at least give
them a last chance to drag out the sectional and try to determine roughly
where they are - hopefully close enough to find a place to put down.

My ridiculous little experimental project is to try and come up with a
"poor man's" (and perhaps "stupid man's 8-) nav capability based on
VORs which is inexpensive and SIMPLE. There's no OBS nor any
other "normal" features (e.g. ability to drive a CDI) - but it kicks out
enough info relative to a few nearby VORs so that you can at least
determine what planet you're on 8-).... and provide a few hints as to
*where* you are on that planet...

GPS replacement? Absolutely not. TSO'd NAV receiver replacement?
Nope - not that either. Inexpensive (enough so that you might actually
install one) and simple (enough so that you could derive some useful info
with little training) - that would be the goal.

In the meantime, it's really a personal educational and entertainment
toy to play with, and nothing more ("amateur", "homebrew", etc. - so
it's relevent here, right?)......8-)

I appreciate your thoughts and comments, Len! You obviously have a
wealth of experience to draw upon and I thank you for sharing it. Despite
more than 25 years in product development, most of this is new territory
for me (and I'm enjoying the learning experience!). I've never done an
RF design - well - at least not "deliberately"!!!

Regards,
Bill

[email protected] March 16th 05 11:10 PM

Netgeek wrote:

snip

But seriously - let's look at the potential utility of a fairly "mindless"
NAV receiver as it might apply to the non-instrumented-rated,
day-VFR "Sport" or "Recreational" pilot. First off, these guys
believe that GPS coupled to a simple moving map display represents
not only the holy grail - but they'd be willing (foolishly) to bet their
lives on this sole-source nav capability (never mind simple "dead
reckoning" or other elementary - e.g. "follow roads" forms of
navigation). If the batteries run out on the GPS - or the guys at
Cheyenne Mountain pull the big red lever marked "scramble GPS"
for whatever reason - they're in big trouble.

If that happened, and that's a pretty big if given the US government
is forcing GPS as the defacto navigation standard for just about
everything, the accuracy would be reduced to such that it would be
impossible to make a precision approach.

The remaining accuracy would be more than enough to find an airport,
especially since Sport and Recreational are limited to day VFR.

Standard VOR-based
equipment would give them a way out - but they don't have it ('cause
it costs too much) and they wouldn't know how to effectively use it
anyway ('cause they aren't instrument rated). Some form of relatively
simple (albeit far from accurate) NAV capability would at least give
them a last chance to drag out the sectional and try to determine roughly
where they are - hopefully close enough to find a place to put down.

Sporty's sells the SP-200 NAV/COM handheld for $299.00 with a $14.95
rebate if you use your AOPA credit card. It has VOR and LOC with a
digital CDI display and 2,280 channel COM. You still would have to
know what 235 FROM means.

IMHO anyone not flying a big turbine with multiple redundent everything
that doesn't have a handheld just in case is foolish.

[...]

Decoding the bearing can be done with a PLL running as a 360X frequency
multiplier on one 30 Hz signal and using the other to gate a counter
which is feed the multiplied signal.

I built such a beast in '75 as a senior project with a NIXIE tube
display. Available compenents have improved a lot since '75.

If I were to do something like this today, I think I would look for
someone's receiver module and use a microcontroller to control the
receiver and do most (maybe all with DSP) the decoding, feeding it all
to a PDA with a database of VOR frequencies and locations and use the PDA
to generate a map display.

It would be a fun project.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

Paul Keinanen March 17th 05 07:53 AM

On 16 Mar 2005 12:58:44 -0800, wrote:

Direct conversion (DC) won't be effective on this
application for reasons of the civil aviation band
being AM with no pilot carrier or other reference.

If you are running an I/Q DDS feeding I and Q demodulators (mixers)
and low-pass filter the quadrature demodulator, producing a DC voltage
proportional to the phase error. This could be used through an ADC to
control the phase modulator input (or the phase accumulator addend) of
the DDS to track the signal. However, DDS chips with only serial input
might be too slow to track the signal. The I demodulator output would
provide the amplitude modulated information.

Paul OH3LWR

Netgeek March 18th 05 12:22 AM

Parts are on the way...

First IF = 45 MHz
Second IF = 10.7 MHz

Any point in going further to 455 KHz for a third IF or just stick
with the 10.7 - (MC1350 plus IF transformer) scheme?

Bill

Pete KE9OA March 18th 05 06:36 AM

I would go directly from 45MHz to 455kHz..............this is typical in HF
receivers. An NE602 mixer can be used for the 2nd mixer and a 44.545MHz
crystal used with the on-board oscillator allows you to derive your 2nd I.F.
Alternatively, you can use a TDA1572 as the 2nd mixer/I.F./ demodulator.
This is also a good system and it will give you fairly good strong signal
handling capability.

Pete

Michael Black March 18th 05 03:41 PM

"Pete KE9OA" ) writes:
I would go directly from 45MHz to 455kHz..............this is typical in HF
receivers. An NE602 mixer can be used for the 2nd mixer and a 44.545MHz
crystal used with the on-board oscillator allows you to derive your 2nd I.F.
Alternatively, you can use a TDA1572 as the 2nd mixer/I.F./ demodulator.
This is also a good system and it will give you fairly good strong signal
handling capability.

Pete

I'd hesitated to post since I wasn't sure of the sort of selectivity needed.

But yes, if the selectivity is available at 455KHz, there's no need to
have something in between that and 45MHz (or for that matter, if the
right selectivity can be had higher, gain is the only reason for going down
to 455KHz.

Old cellphones, the big and bulky kind, have IFs in the above 30MHz range
(the exact frequency has varied, but I think the majority of those that I've
stripped have had 45MHz IFs. And they tend to drop down to 455KHz after
that, meaning a scrap cellphone (the older the better because they
are cheaper and the parts are bigger) will generally provide a "roofing
filter" and the crystal to get down to 455KHz from there, and even the
455KHz filter if it doesn't have to be narrow.

Michael VE2BVW

[email protected] March 18th 05 08:04 PM

From: "Pete KE9OA" on Fri, Mar 18 2005 6:36 am

"Netgeek" wrote in message
Parts are on the way...

First IF = 45 MHz
Second IF = 10.7 MHz

Any point in going further to 455 KHz for a third IF or just stick
with the 10.7 - (MC1350 plus IF transformer) scheme?

Bill

As a suggestion (too late if parts are incoming), a
single conversion to a 21.4 MHz IF is quite suitable.
Using a monolithic quartz crystal filter (available
from DigiKey for about $15 a pair of two) between
the mixer and first IF could eliminate ALL tuned
circuits in the IF following the 1st IF amplifier.
Those are available in 12.5 KHz bandwidth which will
be fine for a VOR signal. [DigiKey has a link to
download specs for the ECS-made monolithics]

This is now common in mobile radios, both new and
retrofit of older ones.

If a single-conversion scheme with 21.4 MHz is done,
the LO can be 86.6 to 96.6 MHz with an image at
65.2 to 75.2 MHz. That is a low enough frequency
to allow a simple L-C "top coupled resonator" fixed
bandpass filter for the front end at 108 to 118 MHz
(8.9 % bandwidth).

Doing double conversion with a first IF of 45 MHz
is, by itself, no problem. However the 2nd IF image
is a bit too close to the nominal bandwidth of any
45 MHz 1st IF tuning (it's only 0.91 MHz away). With
the second's image (on either side depending on 2nd
LO above or below 45 MHz), there's still a chance to
pick up part of the FM BC band locally. To avoid
that, the 2nd LO should be on the high side of 45.
Second IF image would then fall into the low end of
the 118 to 137 MHz comm band (also AM) and those
transmitters are much lower powered ones than BC
stations.

With a 10.7 MHz 2nd IF, its image would be 21.4 MHz
away and rather easy to attenuate in the 45 MHz 1st
IF. There's only a slight problem using stock
10.7 MHz IF components: Bandwidth of the whole 2nd
IF might be around 160 KHz; less discrimination to
nearby VORs and Localizers. A study of FAA sectional
charts might be called for to check on potential
interfering stations although those are assigned in
regards geographic locations to minimize normal
interference.

J M Noeding March 18th 05 10:54 PM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 06:36:33 GMT, "Pete KE9OA"
wrote:

I would go directly from 45MHz to 455kHz..............this is typical in HF
receivers. An NE602 mixer can be used for the 2nd mixer and a 44.545MHz
crystal used with the on-board oscillator allows you to derive your 2nd I.F.
Alternatively, you can use a TDA1572 as the 2nd mixer/I.F./ demodulator.
This is also a good system and it will give you fairly good strong signal
handling capability.

Pete

it is almost like the gunnplexer RX units we made around 1978-80,
wonder if the pcb's still exists for such receivers?

JM
---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm

Pete KE9OA March 19th 05 05:44 AM

I agree about the 21.4MHz I.F. in a single conversion scheme. If the
required gain is achievable, this is a very good way to go. I remember one
of the Rockwell-Collins ADF receivers that had this setup.
As far as a 45MHz 1st I.F.............. these crystal filters seem to be
designed with a 455kHz 2nd I.F. in mind because a 910kHz rejection spec is
given. I have used that scheme over the years with a diode ring mixer as the
1st mixer. I follow the mixer with a series L, shunt C as the second leg of
a diplexer that matches the 50 ohm output of the mixer to the crystal
filter............ The first leg being is a parallel LC tuned circuit that
is in series with a 50 ohm idler resistor. With a reactance of the LC
elements of around 47 ohms, the selectivity at 6 db is approximately 15kHz.
The (2 time 2nd I.F. image rejection ) is about 60dB when using four poles
at 45MHz. I haven't done any in-band spur calculations with this scheme for
the aircraft band but I think that with high-side injection it would be ok.
Of course, if a 25kHz tuning step is used I am not sure how it would affect
the phase noise of the synthesizer if a Fractional N topology wasn't used. I
an NE602 is used as the 2nd mixer and just the I.F./ demodulator sections of
a TDA1572 were used, the only adjustment required would be a trimmer
adjustment of the 2nd LO in order to have a symmetrical adjacent channel
response.

Pete

oups.com...

RST Engineering March 19th 05 04:36 PM

And how, pray tell, do you get rid of the image with reasonable Q
components?

Jim

J M Noeding March 19th 05 05:38 PM

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 08:36:17 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

And how, pray tell, do you get rid of the image with reasonable Q
components?

like Hi-Q resistors or was it condensers...?
---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/91n.htm

Netgeek March 23rd 05 01:27 AM

As a follow-up - I bought and assembled the really simple kit sold
by Ramsey - and described in detail he

www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/aviarx/avrxkitc.html

I wasn't expecting much - but was really surprised! It works really well
and has provided a platform that I can hack to death without feeling
bad about destroying it if it comes to that...

I'm about 8 miles from Washington National (DCA) with alot of "stuff"
in between. With a lousy 21" wire, I have no problems picking up both
Potomac Departure and Potomac Approach (with the first I heard being
Air Force One coming in to Andrews AFB).

The only modifications I've made are to increase the supply to 12V (from
9V - per Jim Weir's comments) and to replace the worthless 10k varactor
tuning pot with a 3-turn widget salvaged from some old Tektronix gear.

The thing works great!

Now I'm looking for suggestions on how to "improve" it. My list includes:

Replace NE 602 with SA612A mixer and add "real" tuning via National PLL
and Minicircuits VCO.

Replace 10.7 Mhz. ceramic filter with 4-pole Xtal-based filter.

Replace MC1350 with MC1349 (per Len Anderson) and rework AGC.

Add serious LP audio filter to output of AM detector diode.

Throw away or rework "squelch" circuit - as it is makes lots of noise and
is annoying (loud pops when switching in and out)...

Get a decent (e.g. dipole 1/2 wave antenna).

It seems to me that after attempting to improve the RF section the biggest
gains are to be had in tweaking the audio stages - so that's what I'm
focusing on. Just for fun - alot of filtering, noise gate, compression,
limiting, etc. seem to be areas where I can really play with the thing and
improve the performance. I've been looking at both Analog Devices
and THAT components as a step short of going to DSP. I think some
real improvements can be made. The basic signal is there (certainly at
levels which are "good enough") even with such a simple receiver. I'd
like to see what can actually be done (keeping in mind that this is a
"learning exercise"..)....

Any suggestions appreciated! (And, yes, there are plans to tweak the
IF per previous suggestions!)...

Thanks,
Bill

oups.com...

Pete KE9OA March 23rd 05 06:39 AM

I can comment on the filter change.............the 10.7MHz ceramic filters
that are being used right now have an IN/OUT Z of 330 ohms.................a
crystal filter will have an IN/OUT Z of 3000 to 6000 ohms. It will work, but
you will need to match the impedances. If the crystal filter is not properly
matched, you will experience a deep nose in the response in the center of
the passband, and your insertion loss could rise sharply. If you are
interested, e-mail me directly and I can send you an Excel spreadsheet that
will calculate the values needed for a series L, shunt C type of matching
network.

Pete

"Netgeek" wrote in message
[...]

oups.com...

Netgeek March 23rd 05 11:35 AM

I guess it would have been handy if I'd posted the *correct* link
to the kit and schematic...8-) The kit was from Ramsey and it is
identical to the design and schematic posted he

www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/aviarx/aviarx.html

As you can see it's surprisingly simple (and surprising how well
it actually works).

Thanks again for all suggestions!
Bill