RadioBanter

-   -   enclosures (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/68095-enclosures.html)

Angela & Gary April 1st 05 04:34 AM

enclosures

Any one have a source for new or used metal enclosures. I'm trying to
resurrect an old Johnson Matchbox and the original enclosure measured
10" x 10" x 7". Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Gary

gb April 1st 05 05:39 AM

"Angela & Gary" wrote in message

Any one have a source for new or used metal enclosures. I'm trying to
resurrect an old Johnson Matchbox and the original enclosure measured
10" x 10" x 7". Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Gary

Hammond Manufacturing has a large selection of metal and aluminum
enclosures.
Check the follow series (1401; 1431; 1441; 1434; 1444 and 1451 chassis
covers)
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg11.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg20.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg21.htm
http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg22.htm

LMB Heeger has the "CO" series which very close to Collins "S" line and
Heathkit "SB" series in construction.
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=16

Omni chassis is popular
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=10

w9gb

Ken Scharf April 2nd 05 04:55 PM

gb wrote:
[...]

Wow, the price on that CO-7 cabinet has gone up quite a bit
since I bought one in the 70's for a SSTV monitor. (Think
I paid about $20 then.)

gb April 2nd 05 11:24 PM

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
.. .
gb wrote:
"Angela & Gary" wrote in message

Any one have a source for new or used metal enclosures. I'm trying to
resurrect an old Johnson Matchbox and the original enclosure measured
10" x 10" x 7". Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Gary

[snip]

LMB Heeger has the "CO" series which very close to Collins "S" line and
Heathkit "SB" series in construction.
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=16

Omni chassis is popular
http://www.lmbheeger.com/products.asp?catid=10

w9gb

Wow, the price on that CO-7 cabinet has gone up quite a bit
since I bought one in the 70's for a SSTV monitor. (Think
I paid about $20 then.)

Gary and Ken -

Actually, IF you desire an LMB / Heath SB-series / Collins S-line look

My best suggestion is to find the junker SB-400 /SB-300 and S line junker
chassis on eBay, such as this item number: 5764132119
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

It's a great starting point and you can use the cutouts OR fill the cutouts
with aluminum or steel sheets
available from K&S Engineering (local hobby store) or your local hardware
stores (Ace; Lowe's; Home Depot)

Greg
w9gb

Highland Ham April 8th 05 02:12 PM

Any one have a source for new or used metal enclosures. I'm trying to
resurrect an old Johnson Matchbox and the original enclosure measured
10" x 10" x 7". Ideas?? Thanks in advance.

A suitable enclosure could be made from double sided printed circuit board
material , available from the surplus trade or at Hamfests.
The 'lid' supposedly of identical size as bottom could be fitted by means of
screws having their nuts soldered into 4 upper inside corners. For the above
enclosure you would need 2 pieces 10"x10" and 4 pcs 7"x10" .
PCB material can be easily trimmed to size and subsequently soldered. The
final enclosure could be polished and subsequently varnished if appearance
remains important.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH