RadioBanter

-   -   Butterworth bandpass filter question (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/78069-butterworth-bandpass-filter-question.html)

TRABEM September 11th 05 05:09 PM

Butterworth bandpass filter question

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range. Unfortunately, it has
a transformer in the original design, so I'm stuck. I also don't know
how to handle the load presented by the active front end component
other than it's probably not significantly reactive.

The existing filter is for a 7 Mhz receiver, I'd like to have a
similar filter design for 50 to 200 Khz.

The filter components and transformer winding details are in the
document at:

http://www.amqrp.org/kits/softrock40...0Assy%20v1.pdf

The input chip is an FST3126, spec sheet is at:

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FS/FST3126.pdf

The spec for the T30-2 transformer core is at:

http://partsandkits.com/T30-2.htm

I have aade filter design software, but it isn't allowing me to plug
in the transformer into the design page of the software....so, I need
to know it's equivalent circuit I think.

The transformer winding details are on page 4 of the document and the
schematic of the front end is page 9. Ultimately, I need new values
for L1, L2, C20, C21 and C22.

If someone can give me a reasonable guess as to the equivalent circuit
of the transformer and the IC (U5), I can do the rest of the job
myself using the aade filter software.

Thanks,

John Miles September 11th 05 08:41 PM

In article , TRABEM
says...
If someone can give me a reasonable guess as to the equivalent circuit
of the transformer and the IC (U5), I can do the rest of the job
myself using the aade filter software.

Thanks,

You might try FilDes:
ftp://ftp.lehigh.edu/pub/listserv/qr...ols/fds201.zip

It will let you specify different source and load impedances for the
filter being designed, so you can probably get away without the
transformer altogether. The AADE software has a nicer interface but
I've always liked the functionality in FilDes better.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

Spam_Bin@NO_SPAM.wyenot.servebeer.com September 11th 05 09:56 PM

It looks like the filter is designed for 50 ohms in and out. The transformer
inductance is also a part of the filter. It's value should be about the same as
L1 so to use it at 50k to 200K, you'll need to rewind for a lot more turns on
the primary and both secondaries if you keep the same core material.

Scaling it all and then optimizing for Coil Q of 40 and regular cap and coil
values, I get new values like:

L1 680nH - 100uH
C1 470pF - .022uF
C21 180pF - .027uF
L2 1.8uH - 100uH
C22 470pF - .022uF
T1 680nH (13:6:6 Turns) - 100uH (1911:882:882 Turns)

I strongly recommend changing T1 to a much higher mU core material.

This should result in -3dB points at 50 and 200 kHz, flat pass-band and -30dB at
20 and 500 kHz.

Good luck finding a 50 Ohm antenna at these frequncies. An active antenna may be
the way to go, otherwise you'll need many acres for all the wire.

Highland Ham September 11th 05 11:43 PM

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range. Unfortunately, it has
a transformer in the original design, so I'm stuck. I also don't know
how to handle the load presented by the active front end component
other than it's probably not significantly reactive.

The existing filter is for a 7 Mhz receiver, I'd like to have a
similar filter design for 50 to 200 Khz.

===========================
If you are happy with the HF receiver as is, would it not be easier and
more effective to build an LF (50 - 200 kHz) to HF converter. This should
be an easy project and you can select a quiet "HF band" for the conversion.

I have seen designs with a SBL-1 mixer but also a number with the NE612
osc/mixer. Perhaps others frequenting this NG have built such a
converter.

Frank GMØCSZ / KN6WH

TRABEM September 12th 05 02:33 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 20:56:34 GMT,
wrote:

It looks like the filter is designed for 50 ohms in and out. The transformer
inductance is also a part of the filter. It's value should be about the same as
L1 so to use it at 50k to 200K, you'll need to rewind for a lot more turns on
the primary and both secondaries if you keep the same core material.

Scaling it all and then optimizing for Coil Q of 40 and regular cap and coil
values, I get new values like:

L1 680nH - 100uH
C1 470pF - .022uF
C21 180pF - .027uF
L2 1.8uH - 100uH
C22 470pF - .022uF
T1 680nH (13:6:6 Turns) - 100uH (1911:882:882 Turns)

I strongly recommend changing T1 to a much higher mU core material.

This should result in -3dB points at 50 and 200 kHz, flat pass-band and -30dB at
20 and 500 kHz.

OK, thank you very much.

I checked the amidon website, higher mu toroids are available but
looks like they're a little more expensive.

If I want to simulate the filter myself, can I just ignore the series
10 ohm resistors in each side of the transformer secondary? Do the 5
ohm ac series resistance of the switch and the .1 uf capacitor on the
far side of the switch enter into the calculations at all????

I was thinking all those R's and C's get reflected back through the
transformer and should impact the filter values.

If I can ignore the R's and C's on the secondary side of the
transformer, can I simply pretend the primary is a coil with a 50 ohm
shunt (to represent the output impedance)??

When the series 10 ohm resistor, the 5 ohm series ac resistance of the
switch and the .01 cap to ground on the output side of the switch is
factored in, does the output impedance still look like 50 ohms?

Good luck finding a 50 Ohm antenna at these frequncies. An active antenna may be
the way to go, otherwise you'll need many acres for all the wire.

Yep, we can do it. Got 40 acres. But, wasn't planning on using that
many acres:: My plan was to use a single turn loop, 10 to 15 feet on
each side and step up the impedance with a toroid at the antenna. The
wire is 200 A service entrance insulated aluminum, so it should have a
decent Q if I use some polystyrene caps to resonate it.

Regards,

Joe McElvenney September 12th 05 03:07 AM

Hi,

Hi,

I am trying to scale an existing front end receiver (butterworth
bandpass) filter to a different frequency range. Unfortunately, it has
a transformer in the original design, so I'm stuck. I also don't know
how to handle the load presented by the active front end component
other than it's probably not significantly reactive.

The existing filter is for a 7 Mhz receiver, I'd like to have a
similar filter design for 50 to 200 Khz.

Notice that the primary to secondary (total) turns ratio is
almost 1:1, that both shunt capacitors in the band-pass filter are
of the same value and that the path resistance on either side of
the secondary, through the FST3126M to the low-pass filters is
around 20-ohms. So what you are looking at (to a crude
approximation) is a design impedance of 50-ohm all the way
through.

As for the toroid, for optimum Q you might want to look for a
mix more suitable for the frequency range you quoted (maybe 15?)
and increase the diameter to take the extra wire as you will need
to scale the impedances for use at 50kHz. The FT series, I think,
need less turns for the same inductance and so should be easier to
wind.

Finally, a simple low-pass filter would probably be all you
need here as the transformer primary impedance will be a limit the
low end. Filter response is dependant on source as well as load
impedance and most antennas that you would use at those
frequencies will be quite reactive and difficult to design a fixed
input network for. You may be aware that a lot of HF receivers use
a separate hi-Z antenna terminal for LF/MF.

Having said that, if you do want to use a simple low-pass
configuration, remember that a symmetrical 'Pi' filter with source
and load impedances of 1-ohm and a cut-off of 1-rad/sec would use
two 1-Farad capacitors and a 2-Henry inductor. To scale to new
impedances and frequency, divide C (and multiply L) by the design
impedance and then divide both C and L by the new cut-off
frequency in rads/sec.

Cheers - Joe

TRABEM September 12th 05 05:26 AM

Notice that the primary to secondary (total) turns ratio is
almost 1:1, that both shunt capacitors in the band-pass filter are
of the same value and that the path resistance on either side of
the secondary, through the FST3126M to the low-pass filters is
around 20-ohms. So what you are looking at (to a crude
approximation) is a design impedance of 50-ohm all the way
through.

OK, that's about what I thought, but I was estimating closer to 15
ohms for ac resistance between the secondary winding and ground. So, I
was having a hard time believing it could be 50 ohms in and out. It
probably makes little difference though in the filter values or
passband response.

As for the toroid, for optimum Q you might want to look for a
mix more suitable for the frequency range you quoted (maybe 15?)
and increase the diameter to take the extra wire as you will need
to scale the impedances for use at 50kHz. The FT series, I think,
need less turns for the same inductance and so should be easier to
wind.

I was looking at the CT series, specifically a CT-50-57, which is a
little bigger, but probably can contain all the wire easily.

Finally, a simple low-pass filter would probably be all you
need here as the transformer primary impedance will be a limit the
low end. Filter response is dependant on source as well as load
impedance and most antennas that you would use at those
frequencies will be quite reactive and difficult to design a fixed
input network for. You may be aware that a lot of HF receivers use
a separate hi-Z antenna terminal for LF/MF.

I'm aware of the separate antenna inputs some LF radios have. The
lowfer group has quite a bit of information on antennas, and it seems
that making a 50 ohm antenna or something approaching 50 ohms from a
large single or multiturn loop isn't that difficult.

Making a 15 or 20 ohm antenna is even easier, perhaps I should think
about 15 ohm input impedance and a 15 ohm output impedance since it's
actually easier to handle the antenna step up.

Having said that, if you do want to use a simple low-pass
configuration, remember that a symmetrical 'Pi' filter with source
and load impedances of 1-ohm and a cut-off of 1-rad/sec would use
two 1-Farad capacitors and a 2-Henry inductor. To scale to new
impedances and frequency, divide C (and multiply L) by the design
impedance and then divide both C and L by the new cut-off
frequency in rads/sec.

Most likely it's probably best to keep it at 50 ohms and not to worry
about the slight mismatch in that frequency range.

Thanks to you and to all who commented, it was just he sort of
information I needed to put me back on track.

Regards,

Paul Keinanen September 12th 05 07:53 AM

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:43:36 +0100, "Highland Ham"
wrote:

The existing filter is for a 7 Mhz receiver, I'd like to have a
similar filter design for 50 to 200 Khz.

===========================
If you are happy with the HF receiver as is, would it not be easier and
more effective to build an LF (50 - 200 kHz) to HF converter. This should
be an easy project and you can select a quiet "HF band" for the conversion.

What would this solve ? You still need some selectivity in front of
converter.

I would also question the need for a bandpass filter, but a good low
pass filter would definitively required in any case. I would suggest a
low pass filter below 150 kHz in Europe, Africa and Middle-East and
below 500 kHz in the rest of the world to get the very strong LW/MW
broadcast band signals out of the mixer. If 455 kHz IF is used, the
LPF would have to be below 400 kHz in the rest of the world.

I have seen designs with a SBL-1 mixer

SBL-1 is specified for 1-500 MHz on the RF and LO port, so not really
suitable for this band. However, the SBL-3 goes from 25 kHz to 200
MHz. The SRA-6H goes from 10 kHz to 50 MHz and should be able to
handle up to +10 dBm signals.

but also a number with the NE612
osc/mixer.

I have used the Datong LF converter, which uses the Siemens S042
mixer/osc IC similar to the NE602/612 and it definitively needs a
preselector in front of it to get away with spurious responses all
over the LF band from broadcast stations.

Paul OH3LWR

TRABEM September 12th 05 05:14 PM

[...]

Thanks Paul, and yes....you're correct. Building a conventional
converter would still require a passband filter, so little is to be
gained, except that perhaps someone else has already done the
design::

Also, this receiver design has no mixer, it is simply a detector and a
very linear one to boot. No mixing byproducts are present because
there is no non-linear mixer. In effect, this design is already a
converter....except that it converts to audio directly from the rf
frequency input.

The "spurious responses all over the LF band from broadcast stations"
probably don't exist in this type of receiver, which is one of the
attractions for VLF use of this technology.

Take a look at the link to the design in the original message and you
will learn how it operates without mixers and without non-linear
detectors.

It's WHY I so interested in this particular method of reception and
WHY I want to make a front end for vlf for it. The concept is
explained in a QEX article in greater detail, Im happy to send the url
to anyone who wants to learn more about these high performance direct
conversion receivers.

Regards and again, Thanks,

Reg Edwards September 12th 05 06:39 PM

The concept is
explained in a QEX article in greater detail, Im happy to send the

url
to anyone who wants to learn more about these high performance

direct
conversion receivers.

===================================

How do you know the QEX article is not a load of of old-wives tales.

K7ITM September 12th 05 10:01 PM

Actually, the thing you call a detector IS a mixer. You can probably
find some references for "H-mode mixer." It's good, to be sure, but
it's inaccurate to say that it's _perfectly_ linear. (I'd LOVE to find
a practical sampler which had zero distortion...though then I'd need
amplifiers with zero distortion, too...)

As someone else pointed out, any practical antenna you have for LF is
very unlikely to be a good match to 50 ohms, and is very likely to be
quite reactive so that by the time you add components to tune it, the
bandwidth will be pretty narrow. So if you have a tuned LF antenna,
which is quite usual, the response will be quite narrow, and why would
you care about a bandpass filter? I'd recommend a loop with a tuning
arrangement at its feedpoint (variable capacitance), and an appropriate
preamp to drive a feedline back to the receiver. With that, you won't
need any filter, just a transformer going into the mixer
(converter-detector-whatever). A while back, I did some work to modify
a design you can find at
http://www.cpinternet.com/~lyle/bal-pre/bal-pre.htm, so that the
control was done as a DC current , which also fed the power to the
preamp on the same line that signals come back on. It worked out well.
But check out other antenna options from Lyle's website
(http://www.cpinternet.com/~lyle/) or others devoted to LF, too.

Cheers,
Tom

W3JDR September 13th 05 12:08 AM

If you read Gerald Youngblood's first QEX article on the SDR-1000
software-defined radio, you will see on page 7 another embodiment of this
type of mixer/detector. It was originally popularized and patented by Dan
Tayloe, but has recently been reconfigured (for patent purposes as much as
anything else I suspect), and renamed 'quadrature sampling detector' (QSD).
The original embodiment shown in the QEX article has no transformers.

As a passing comment, one of the writers here said a mixer IS a detector.
He's absolutely correct. A detector is just a special case of frequency
mixing where the RF is mixed directly down to DC baseband. As another writer
said, ALL mixers/detectors, regardless of whether they're the modern
switching type or the antique-type based on square-law nonlinearity, have an
overload point beyond which they make unacceptable distortion. Switching
mixers, which include most double-balanced diode mixer (DBM) modules and
most Gilbert-cell IC mixers, just happen to be more linear than many
square-law devices up to the overload point, then they go to hell in a
handbasket. The QSD is a just special case of switching mixer that can
produce quadrature baseband outputs very conveniently, but it is a bit
better in the distortion department than many diode DBM's.

Joe
W3JDR

john jardine September 13th 05 12:46 AM

TRABEM wrote in message ...
[...]
Thanks,

Heresy maybe but I'd be inclined to just dump the transformer and bandpass
coils and caps and 10ohms etc. Use opamps for a low pass and a high pass
filter. Then add another inverting opamp to provide the antiphase for the
mixer chip. High 'Atmospherics' at these low frequencies mean pretty much
any opamp will be OK.
Use a resistor to present any input Z to the Ant'.
The FST3126 (or 74HC4066) works well with opamp drive.
regards
john

K7ITM September 13th 05 01:13 AM

I'd hardly call it heresy, John. In my search for really good op amps
to use up to 50 and 100MHz (very low distortion and low noise), I've
come across some that would be really outstanding up to a couple
hundred kHz.

In fact, since you can get 24bit ADCs that cover up to that range
(e.g., AD7760, AD7762) with very good linearity and low noise, you
could make the whole LF receiver with just the tuned antenna, the
preamp out at the antenna, _maybe_ a bit of gain, and the ADC feeding
into a PC. Then the "quadrature mixing" would all be done digitally,
with much better accuracy than you'll get with an analog mixer. Yeah,
yeah, you have to write some software to get it to work...but a modern
PC should have no trouble keeping up with doing all the signal
processing. There may even be sound cards out there with response out
to 100kHz--that's an area I don't keep up with.

Cheers,
Tom

TRABEM September 13th 05 02:15 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:39:22 +0000 (UTC), "Reg Edwards"
wrote:

The concept is
explained in a QEX article in greater detail, Im happy to send the

url
to anyone who wants to learn more about these high performance

direct
conversion receivers.

===================================

How do you know the QEX article is not a load of of old-wives tales.

Not sure if you're serious or not. But, there are quite a few users
with SDR-1000 HF transceivers that use the technology....and all of
them aren't full of BS.

GL.

TRABEM September 13th 05 02:31 AM

On 12 Sep 2005 14:01:59 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tom,

I've followed lowfer technical discussions for some time now and
thanks to some recent input from a few of them, I have a much better
idea of what I need to do to get a decent antenna up.

My plan is to have a single turn or 2 turn centertapped loop, each
side being 10 to 12 feet long and the turns spaced 5 inches apart. The
conductor will be 200 A aluminum service entrance cable which I have
laying around.

The impedance of this antenna will be low and the Q should be quite
high, with lots of area, so it should drive the receiver well.

It has occurred to me that the antenna itself has a great deal of
selectivity, yet some loop users still report front end overload from
AM broadcast band and other megawatt LF rf sources.

The QSD is susceptible to harmonics also, so a very high attenuation
low pass filter is the minimum filter necessary to keep these signals
out.

Whether the tuned antenna by itself is adequate, I don't know.

But, I'm considering putting in a bandpass or low pass filter designed
to match the lower impedance loop antenna directly, so the filter
would have input and output impedances of 5 or 10 ohms.

Anyway, that's a topic for another day I suspect.

Regards and thanks for the input.

TRABEM September 13th 05 02:39 AM

Hi Joe,

It appeared to me that the transformer was used as a convenient means
to introduce 1/2 of the Vcc to provide DC bias equally to each of the
4 switch inputs.

The 10 ohm series resistors look like a resistive impedance matching
scheme to me, with a built in 6+ db loss associated with them.

I'm thinking of redoing the entire input circuit to take out hte
reistors and to better match the lower impedance of most VLF loop
antnnas.

Thanks for your comments.

TRABEM September 13th 05 02:52 AM

Hi Tom,

I think the loop antennas are pretty quiet compared to wire antennas
and you might need some gain.

But, since the antenna is high Q and tuned, it might have enough
voltage output to drive the soundcard more or less directly.

I don't know for sure.

But, if the switch is anywhere near linear, you would not want your
gain stage before the switch, would you?? I can't see using an rf amp
at the antenna that just creates non linearity when you could use a
nice quiet audio amp op amp on the far side of the analog switch.

An all software based receiver shoulnds like a neat idea until you
realize you run out of dynamic range by trying to sample such a wide
bandwidth directly.

I think the analog switch (hardware) is here to stay, at least for
ashile.

GL.

W3JDR September 13th 05 03:37 AM

There are easier ways to introduce the bias than to add transformers.
Personally, I hate transformers and go out of my way to avoid using them but
sometimes they're a necessary evil.

I'd venture to say that the transformer in this implementation of Tayloe's
detector was introduced to:
1) Improve second-order distortion performance
2) Eliminate the need for differential amplifiers at the output
3) Attempt to skirt some patent issues.

These are just my opinions...I'd like to hear different points of view.

As to your redesign goals, be aware that the input source resistance is an
important part of the inherent bandpass response that this detector has.
It's based on commutating filter principles.....you can read up on this by
doing a web search. The resistors were probably added to stabilize the
selectivity performance in the face of variable antenna impedances. The
resistors will add a little to the insertion loss and thus the system noise
figure, but this will probably not be an issue at LF frequencies where
atmospherics and man-made noise dominate.

Overall, I think this is an outstanding detector for an LF receiver. You
should be able to get very good quadrature LO phasing using the common &
simple Johnson counter approach. Once you get to quadrature detector
outputs, an audio frequency DSP should result in a very good receiver. As
you probably know, there are several public-domain DSP software packages
available for both Windows and Linux that will do a very good job for you.

Joe

TRABEM wrote in message ...
[...]

. ..

W3JDR September 13th 05 03:43 AM

An all software based receiver shoulnds like a neat idea until you
realize you run out of dynamic range by trying to sample such a wide
bandwidth directly.

In another reply to this thread, I mentioned commutating filters. At VLF,
one of these ahead of a good ADC would probably also yield very good
performance without downconverting to audio baseband first. As to speed of
the ADC, using undersampling you theoretically only need enough speed to
sample at twice the modulation (information) bandwidth. This is just a few
kilohertz sampling rate. I've heard of this technique, but don't recall ever
seeing it implemented in a real receiver design.

Can anyone comment and shed more light on this??

Joe
W3JDR

Paul Keinanen September 13th 05 11:10 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:31:52 -0400, TRABEM wrote:

It has occurred to me that the antenna itself has a great deal of
selectivity, yet some loop users still report front end overload from
AM broadcast band and other megawatt LF rf sources.

Look for "antenna effect". Most likely the broadcast signals are
connected directly to the pickup wiring, which works then as an
ordinary "electric" antenna.

One way would be to make the pickup loop of coaxial cable. Bend the
end of the cable back to a convenient place on the cable to form a
loop, solder the end (both centre connector and shield) to the shield
at that point. At the opposite end of the loop cut the shield and now
you have a nice electrostatic shield around the centre conductor.

Paul OH3LWR

Paul Keinanen September 13th 05 11:11 AM

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 21:52:01 -0400, TRABEM wrote:

But, if the switch is anywhere near linear, you would not want your
gain stage before the switch, would you?? I can't see using an rf amp
at the antenna that just creates non linearity when you could use a
nice quiet audio amp op amp on the far side of the analog switch.

If you use a huge amplification on a single frequency, you can end up
with stability problems, due to unexpected feedback paths, such as a
direct conversion receiver with a lot of audio gain started to
oscillate, when the loudspeaker sound vibration was connected back to
some front end component that was microphonic.

Putting a (possibly switchable) preamplifier between the selective
loop and the mixer would allow some gain to be done at non-audio
frequencies, thus, reducing the risk for stability problems.

Paul OH3LWR

K7ITM September 13th 05 10:21 PM

Hi T,

I think you missed the point. With a tuned antenna, what comes out of
the antenna+tuning is NOT broadband! Frequencies not so very far from
the one you are tuned to will be greatly attenuated. With that sort of
input, you should be able to get by with even a 16-bit converter, if
it's linear (such as a decent delta-sigma is).

For example, a square loop antenna one meter on a side, at 150kHz,
tuned to resonance with a capacitor, should have a Q around 300. That
means it's about 0.5kHz wide at the 3dB points, and will be down about
20dB at 2.5kHz away from center, and 40dB down at 25kHz away.

-- I just read your other reply to my other posting in this thread,
where you worried about broadcast band overload. I suspect that if you
have that, it's because, as someone else said, the antenna is acting as
something other than a loop for that frequency. It's important to keep
the loop balanced with respect to ground. I'd strongly recommend
against a "shielded" loop unless you understand just why you are doing
that. The shield becomes the antenna, and as such, it must be
symmetrical... Also, for the antenna you described, about 3 meters on
a side and large wire, expect the Q to be even higher and the bandwidth
narrower. I think you'll find the resonated impedance to be more like
a few kohms for a single such turn. Then, use a good balanced FET
amplifier to get to a low impedance to drive your transmission line.

By the way, I would note that the switching detector/mixer/converter in
the schematic you showed is not as good as the usual current
implementation of the H-mode mixer, because the channels of the FETs
doing the switching in the one you gave a link to operate at a voltage
which depends on the instantaneous signal amplitude, if I read the
schematic right, and since the channel resistance is a non-linear
function of that voltage, the detector will not be strictly linear.
The H-mode mixers operate one end of the switches at a constant
voltage, and of course the other end when the switch is on must be very
close to the same voltage. I expect (and I think the practical
experience is) that the H-mode mixer will be more linear. Do you know
what the third order intercept for your mixer is supposed to be? I'd
be pretty surprised if it was better than about +45dBm.

But even so, even if you DID have a broadband antenna, you can find op
amps, and you can make amplifiers with discrete parts, that have
distortion products more than 120dB below the level of signals in
excess of a volt at the amplifier output, in the LF frequency range.
In other words, the distortion products will be less than a microvolt,
with one volt output signals. You don't need to run that preamp with
any appreciable voltage gain, so you're handling some pretty big input
signals. And the best of the 24-bit delta-sigma ADCs shouldn't be far
behind that. (I wish I could do that well at 50MHz!--we do make a
23-bit ADC that samples at up to 20MHz, but it's a bit pricey for what
you're trying to do.) As others have pointed out in this thread, the
atmospheric noise is so bad at LF that the antenna doesn't have to be
very efficient to capture enough signal to be useful for receiving.
Unless you are practically next door to a transmitter operating on a
frequency near the ones you care about listening to, dynamic range
isn't likely to be a big issue at LF. [Your other posting suggests
that folk DO have troubles with other signals. I'd go looking for
answers about WHY before jumping to conclusions about what to do about
them.] That's a far cry from the case at HF.

Cheers,
Tom

TRABEM September 14th 05 02:02 AM

On 13 Sep 2005 14:21:59 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:

[...]

I read your message above about 3 times now AND read all the other
posts in this thread over again.

After all of this, I must say that I'm very much in agreement with you
although I know little about the linearity of the particular analog
switch used in this configuration.

When I started this, I was paranoid about out of band signals mixing
and creating problems. Read posts from almost anyone using an LF
preamp or presenting a design for one and they will almost certainly
contain warnings about overload and mixing byproducts.

So, I wanted an almost unattainable filter on the front end, without
realizing in fact how much attenuation the antenna I hope to build
will have for out of band signals. You are exactly right, there is
probably no need at all for a tuned input in the receiver since the
antenna tuning will be so sharp.

Maintaining HI-Q in the antenna should be the primary goal I think
rather than worrying about the input filter parameters!

I disagree about the rf preamp however, Bill Ashcock says I shouldn't
need one at all as long as I keep the Q high in the antenna and feed
it into a balanced line to get to the shack. Bill says some of the
guys who have single turn loops 40 feet per side or larger have so
much signal, they have to attenuate. I'd like to start out without a
preamp unless it is really needed.

By the way, the antenna might not be balanced.....but if it's fed
through a balun on each, the feedline is balanced. And, the feedline
can be simple twisted wire pairs....which goes a long way towards
reducing stray rf pickup and makes the feedline cheap and the losses
low.

If I feed the antenna into a balun and run that to another balun at
the receiver, isn't that the same as having a traditional center
tapped loop in terms of 'balance'?

I'll try to find some software for loop design and see what the loop
looks like in terms of impedance and then decide how to couple that
directly into the receiver without a front end filter (just simple
impedance matching).

Thanks so much to you and everyone who wrote regarding this, and for
the nudge in the 'right direction'. I feel a lot better now regarding
the plan of attack than I did just 2 or 3 days ago!

Regards,

PS:I like your estimate for my loop impedance. If it's 1000 ohms as
you think it might be, I can handle that step down just fine with a
balun or 2.

I hope it turns out to be true:

Paul Keinanen September 14th 05 07:17 AM

On 13 Sep 2005 14:21:59 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:

But even so, even if you DID have a broadband antenna, you can find op
amps, and you can make amplifiers with discrete parts, that have
distortion products more than 120dB below the level of signals in
excess of a volt at the amplifier output, in the LF frequency range.
In other words, the distortion products will be less than a microvolt,
with one volt output signals. You don't need to run that preamp with
any appreciable voltage gain, so you're handling some pretty big input
signals.

With some kind of vertical antenna (possibly with some capacitance)
which is small compared to the wavelength on LF, it is going to have a
large capacitive reactance. There will also be some antenna input
capacitance from input to ground, so essentially there is a capacitive
voltage divider formed by the antenna capacitance and input
capacitance and the amplifier is trying to tap off that voltage. So
the amplifier really needs current gain, not voltage gain i.e. a high
input impedance and a manageable (50 ohm etc.) output impedance.

Paul OH3LWR

K7ITM September 15th 05 09:14 AM

You can find a good program to estimate loop inductance and some other
parameters on Reg Edwards' web pages. He has a link in many of his
postings on this group and the r.r.a.antenna one. The impedance comes
from the Q and the fact that you are resonating it--or at least it's
presumed that you are resonating it. So if it has a Q of 300 and the
inductive reactance is 50 ohms, the resistance when resonated is
300*50=15000 ohms, for example. That's why folk like to use preamps at
the antenna: transform that high impedance down to a low impedance
that's easy to send along a transmission line. Seems to me that if
they are having trouble with intermod distortion in the preamp, the
preamp isn't designed properly. It's not terribly difficult to get
very low distortion at LF these days. By the way, if you build a
really big loop and have so much signal you can attenuate it, that
gives you a chance to lower the Q and increase the bandwidth: if what
you want to listen to occupies much bandwidth, you don't want your
antenna to filter out the information you want to listen to!

I'd suggest you read an antenna book like Johnson and Jasik, or the
antennas chapter of King, Mimno and Wing's "Transmission Lines,
Antennas and Waveguides." They will make it a lot clearer why you
might want a balanced loop. You don't need a grounded center-tap to
make it balanced--just make it very symmetrical.

Cheers,
Tom

TRABEM September 15th 05 05:09 PM

On 15 Sep 2005 01:14:37 -0700, "K7ITM" wrote:

You can find a good program to estimate loop inductance and some other
parameters on Reg Edwards' web pages. He has a link in many of his
postings on this group and the r.r.a.antenna one.

Yes, I found it day before yesterday and was stunned to see the loop
impedance change so much as the loop is moved off frequency. I want my
antenna to cover 50 Khz to 200 Khz and the antennas impedance will
vary from 6K ohms to 1 K ohm, quite a LARGE range.

The software was very helpful and enlightening.

I was hoping to feed the antenna to the house over twisted pair line
laying on the ground. This requires a balun to make the low impedance
line balanced.

I think the antenna should be balanced as well, which helps in
elimination of out of band signals that might overload the preamp. I
think, but aren't positive that the balanced antenna is necessary to
eliminate the 'antenna effect' which allows the antenna to pick up
other signals that it wasn't designed for just because it's a piece of
wire hanging in free space.

So, my plan was to build a balanced loop and feed it to the house with
a balanced feedline.

[...]

It's not likely that I will ever want to listen to SSB or any other
wider band modes, but I did consider putting in a resistor to kill the
Q if I ever wanted to do this.

I'd suggest you read an antenna book like Johnson and Jasik, or the
antennas chapter of King, Mimno and Wing's "Transmission Lines,
Antennas and Waveguides." They will make it a lot clearer why you
might want a balanced loop. You don't need a grounded center-tap to
make it balanced--just make it very symmetrical.

No, it's pretty clear that I want a balanced loop. Several lowfers
made strong suggestions that I should not waste my time building
anything that wasn't balanced, and I couldn't agree more.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom, I hope to put up a high Q, but relatively large loop. I expect to
have a very large signal output to the receiver. Signal strength of
received signals will probably NOT be an issue.

Because the signal will be relatively high level, I would like to
resist using a preamp at all.

While I was playing with filters last night, I tried to design a
filter that would also convert impedance from 6 K down to 100 ohms. It
became impractical with a balun BUT, a filter that transforms
impedance seems to kill 2 birds with one stone.

However, performance sucks real bad with filters of higher impedance
and with any filter that attempts to make a large or moderate
impedance transformation.

Is there any other means of converting impedance with out an active
amp (using passive components)? Since I have a big signal, I can
sacrifice some signal strength as long as the losses are not to great.

Maybe I should start another thread?

Regards,

K7ITM September 15th 05 06:42 PM

Yes, this might be good for another thread...

Given the limited LF bandwidth you're interested in, I can't imagine
that making a transformer would be all that difficult. Not trivial,
certainly, but far from impossible. A 5:1 turns ratio will give you a
25:1 impedance ratio. You'll want to use a core material that doesn't
introduce distortion. A transformer like that also gives you a way to
keep the loop loading balanced. But--are you going to put the tuning
capacitor at the loop, or do you have in mind putting it, say, at the
receiver end of the feedline? If it's at the loop, how will you adjust
it? And just what size signals do you expect to get? One of the nice
things about LF/VLF is the predictability of signal strengths. Also,
beware of worrying a lot about feedline impedance. How long will your
feedline be, in wavelengths? If it's, say, 0.05 wavelengths at 100kHz
(and THAT's 150 meters long!), does it really make much difference that
it's quite a different impedance than the antenna? And...what IS the
impedance of the line, at that frequency? It may well be a bit
different from what you calculate for the line at 10MHz. What would
happen if you fed your one turn loop with 100 feet of "300 ohm
twinlead" or "450 ohm ladder line" and just tuned it at the receiver
with a capacitor across that line? Small transmission line wire size
would ding the Q some, but would that be an issue? I'm just
speculating here, and maybe someone with direct experience with that
sort of feed will offer suggestions.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the LOOP construction will
almost certainly be the most challenging and expensive part, for a big
loop. And--you may really not NEED THAT big a loop! More signal also
means more atmospheric noise, and you won't improve signal:noise ratio
just by getting more of both signal and noise. Anyway, once you have a
well-constructed loop, it's relatively easy to play around with
different feed systems--preamp and remote tuning, straight feedline,
whatever.

Cheers,
Tom

TRABEM September 15th 05 10:22 PM

Hi Tom,

Given the limited LF bandwidth you're interested in, I can't imagine
that making a transformer would be all that difficult. Not trivial,
certainly, but far from impossible. A 5:1 turns ratio will give you a
25:1 impedance ratio. You'll want to use a core material that doesn't
introduce distortion. A transformer like that also gives you a way to
keep the loop loading balanced. But--are you going to put the tuning
capacitor at the loop, or do you have in mind putting it, say, at the
receiver end of the feedline? If it's at the loop, how will you adjust
it? And just what size signals do you expect to get? One of the nice
things about LF/VLF is the predictability of signal strengths.

OK, I just ran some numbers for a 6000 ohm to 100 ohm toroid
transformer at 190 Khz. I didn't have to deal with the secondary at
all, because the primary has to be so large...I never made it past the
primary! Perhaps I made an error in the calculations? The transformer
has to present about 6000 ohms of inductive reactance, which is 16.6
millihenrys. Even on a large high mu core, I'd have to wind 400
turns!!!!!!!!!!! With that many turns, the losses would be big, and
would still have to wind a secondary (although it would much much
smaller). Did I make a mistake in the calculations?

I don't mind going to the antenna to tune it-lowfer signals don't
change frequency much.

Also,
beware of worrying a lot about feedline impedance. How long will your
feedline be, in wavelengths? If it's, say, 0.05 wavelengths at 100kHz
(and THAT's 150 meters long!), does it really make much difference that
it's quite a different impedance than the antenna? And...what IS the
impedance of the line, at that frequency? It may well be a bit
different from what you calculate for the line at 10MHz. What would
happen if you fed your one turn loop with 100 feet of "300 ohm
twinlead" or "450 ohm ladder line" and just tuned it at the receiver
with a capacitor across that line? Small transmission line wire size
would ding the Q some, but would that be an issue? I'm just
speculating here, and maybe someone with direct experience with that
sort of feed will offer suggestions.

Was hoping to use twisted wire which can be homebrewed or cat 5...it's
cheap and available. I think the twisted wire runs 80 to 90 ohms
impedance. I considered that I might just tolerate the mismatch since
the run was so short....but it's such a big difference, I am not sure
the input filter in the receiver will react as expected.

One thing to keep in mind here is that the LOOP construction will
almost certainly be the most challenging and expensive part, for a big
loop. And--you may really not NEED THAT big a loop! More signal also
means more atmospheric noise, and you won't improve signal:noise ratio
just by getting more of both signal and noise. Anyway, once you have a
well-constructed loop, it's relatively easy to play around with
different feed systems--preamp and remote tuning, straight feedline,
whatever.

Are there any other ways to convert the impedance without big losses
or without resorting to an active preamp? I'd like to avoid the preamp
if possible, especially since I expect a good output voltage from the
big and relatively high Q loop.

K7ITM September 16th 05 07:01 AM

Well, the 8:1 turns ratio transformer at
http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/110khpc.pdf would almost do
it for you. It falls off a bit at the high end. But with it, you
could go down to less than 10Hz. That might be fun. What core
material were you using in your calcs?

I really think you're being too cautious about preamps. But again, my
point is that you can put the effort into the loop, put it up, and then
play around with different feed methods. If you do use a feed line and
leave the tuning capacitor at the antenna, you won't notice any
significant loss in the line. Reg will try to "sell" you one of his
programs for looking at how the line transforms the impedance, but I'd
just use a Smith chart program myself. Much more educational, to me,
than just seeing numbers. If you want to try tuning at the receiver
end, use heavy wires in the line: their resistance adds to the
resistance of the loop itself, lowering the Q. But with the capacitor
at the loop, the circulating currents stay out there, for the most
part. You could add a small variable at the receiver end, to do fine
tuning. You may well discover that's an advantage...it's a pain to try
to tune the loop without being able to listen to the signal...

Cheers,
Tom
(about to bow out of this...time for you to go try some things.)