RadioBanter

-   -   can a picture tube be used as an RF amplifier? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/84190-can-picture-tube-used-rf-amplifier.html)

[email protected] December 13th 05 01:57 AM

can a picture tube be used as an RF amplifier?

Hi,

I get a lot of broken TV's for scrapping from time to time, and it
seems that just getting
rid of the tube in the trash is a shameful waste. But I do know that
these are about the
only remaining vaccum tubes still in manufacture in this country. I
understand that most
of the power is supposed to go through the electron gun of the tube,
but I wonder if the
electron gun could be reconfigured as a linear final? Bad idea?

The Eternal Squire

Michael A. Terrell December 13th 05 06:17 AM

wrote:

Hi,

I get a lot of broken TV's for scrapping from time to time, and it
seems that just getting
rid of the tube in the trash is a shameful waste. But I do know that
these are about the
only remaining vaccum tubes still in manufacture in this country. I
understand that most
of the power is supposed to go through the electron gun of the tube,
but I wonder if the
electron gun could be reconfigured as a linear final? Bad idea?

The Eternal Squire

Based on the filament power, how much output do you expect to get?

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Saandy , 4Z5KS December 13th 05 11:59 AM

can a picture tube be used as an RF amplifier?

usualy the electron gun is designed to generate a few tens of
microamperes of current. i don't suppose you'll get the full legal
power from it!

Michael A. Terrell December 13th 05 04:16 PM

"Saandy , 4Z5KS" wrote:

usualy the electron gun is designed to generate a few tens of
microamperes of current. i don't suppose you'll get the full legal
power from it!

I doubt that he would get more than a couple watts out of a CRT, even
if it has 30 KV on the second anode. The ICs used to drive a computer
monitor's CRT, on the other hand? Some will work on two meters, and
higher frequencies and can be found in dead monitors all over the place.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Dan Andersson December 14th 05 12:30 AM

wrote:

Hi,

I get a lot of broken TV's for scrapping from time to time, and it
seems that just getting
rid of the tube in the trash is a shameful waste. But I do know that
these are about the
only remaining vaccum tubes still in manufacture in this country. I
understand that most
of the power is supposed to go through the electron gun of the tube,
but I wonder if the
electron gun could be reconfigured as a linear final? Bad idea?

The Eternal Squire

Don't bother with the CRT, look for the drivers instead. These was typically
a penthode PL509 tube or the US equivalent. These makes very nice linear
pa's and was often parallell connected. Four of them made a good 500Watts
pa when fed with 1300Volts. The power supply for these pa's is normally
made by doubling the mains power... very nasty but also very very cheapo!

Cheers

M0DFI / Dan

Saandy , 4Z5KS December 14th 05 12:24 PM

can a picture tube be used as an RF amplifier?

well, well!
never tought of it . thanks for the tip!!!
Saandy

Korbin Dallas December 14th 05 06:48 PM

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 00:30:21 +0000, Dan Andersson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Thats assuming that this is a Tube Chassis TV Set which are rare
collectors items these days.

Just junk the sets and start with some technology thats been used in the
last 25 years or so.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.