RadioBanter

-   -   Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813 (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/99559-input-circuit-grounded-grid-amplifier-2x-813-a.html)

[email protected] July 22nd 06 04:39 PM

Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813

Hello,
I got a pretty old amplifier with 2x 813 tubes in grounded grid. I runs
nicely with 700 to 850 watts from 80 to 10m. I already did some
modifications (vacuum relays, fan control, 9 band operation (80-10m)
and now I am looking for some ideas for an input circuit. I meassured
the input impedance of the tubes with about 120 to 130 Ohms which gives
a bad SWR on a 50 Ohm output stage of a modern transceiver. I also
tried a 1:4 UNUN. Results where slightly better but the SWR is still to
high. As I want to avoid to use of an external tuner I am looking for
someone out there who has build an input circuit (e.g. 1 collins
pi-filter for every band) and can give me some advice how to calculate
or build.
tnx vy73 Rene DF9GR

Bill Turner July 22nd 06 06:48 PM

Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813

I got a pretty old amplifier with 2x 813 tubes in grounded grid. I runs
nicely with 700 to 850 watts from 80 to 10m. I already did some
modifications (vacuum relays, fan control, 9 band operation (80-10m)
and now I am looking for some ideas for an input circuit. I meassured
the input impedance of the tubes with about 120 to 130 Ohms which gives
a bad SWR on a 50 Ohm output stage of a modern transceiver. I also
tried a 1:4 UNUN. Results where slightly better but the SWR is still to
high. As I want to avoid to use of an external tuner I am looking for
someone out there who has build an input circuit (e.g. 1 collins
pi-filter for every band) and can give me some advice how to calculate
or build.
tnx vy73 Rene DF9GR

This particular model is made for homebrewers to include in their
amps.

Bill, W6WRT

Roger (K8RI) July 22nd 06 11:20 PM

Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813

On 22 Jul 2006 08:39:03 -0700, wrote:

Hello,
I got a pretty old amplifier with 2x 813 tubes in grounded grid. I runs
nicely with 700 to 850 watts from 80 to 10m. I already did some
modifications (vacuum relays, fan control, 9 band operation (80-10m)
and now I am looking for some ideas for an input circuit. I meassured
the input impedance of the tubes with about 120 to 130 Ohms which gives
a bad SWR on a 50 Ohm output stage of a modern transceiver. I also
tried a 1:4 UNUN. Results where slightly better but the SWR is still to
high. As I want to avoid to use of an external tuner I am looking for
someone out there who has build an input circuit (e.g. 1 collins
pi-filter for every band) and can give me some advice how to calculate
or build.

If resistive I always figured anything under 3:1 was good.
I've fed a pair of 813s in GG at close to the legal limit with a
fairly modern transceiver with good results, but I never checked to
see what I had for an input impedance. I guess that was one of those
cases where ignorance is bliss :-)) I didn't know it was high so I
didn't worry about it.

For input impedance matching, look at a schematic of the Henry 2K4.
They use a separate matching network plugged into an octal socket for
each band. The ratios are different, but the design could easily be
modified and the layout is easy to experiment with. I don't have the
manual handy, but as I recall it's just an adjustable transformer with
a tap.

I think you'll be able to find the whole manual at BAMA

Good Luck es 73

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com (Get valid address from

tnx vy73 Rene DF9GR

df9gr July 30th 06 09:48 AM

Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813

Hi Bill,
thanks for the idea. I didn´t knew that there is something available.
I will check if I have the space available but I am afraid I have not.
vy73 Rene DF9GR

df9gr July 30th 06 09:58 AM

Input circuit for grounded grid amplifier with 2x 813

Hello Roger,

thanks for information. I found the schematics of the 2K3 at BAMA (no
2K4) and I am currently downloading it. I will have a look on their
solution.

vy73 Rene DF9GR