RadioBanter

-   Info (https://www.radiobanter.com/info/)
-   -   eHam.net News for Sunday 7 April 2013 (https://www.radiobanter.com/info/193578-eham-net-news-sunday-7-april-2013-a.html)

eHam.net via rec.radio.info Admin April 7th 13 11:10 PM

eHam.net News for Sunday 7 April 2013

eHam.net News

Purdue's West Tower Home to Longest-Standing Club:

http://www.eham.net/articles/29992

Thanks to his involvement in Purdue's longest-standing club, one student
was able to communicate with his family during a natural disaster. The west
tower of the Memorial Union, otherwise known as "The Shack," is the
official meeting place of W9YB. The shack's walls are covered with
computers, radios, other electronics and postcards from around the world.
By a large window on the far wall sits a large satellite antenna, almost as
long as the room itself. After spending some time with the club, members
can earn "call numbers," which act as a username over the radio. Mat Amore,
call number KD2CMJ and a freshman in the College of Technology, is involved
with the W9YB, or the Purdue Amateur Radio Club. "I live in New Jersey, and
when Hurricane Sandy came through, I tried to call (my family)," Amore
said. "I was freaking out because I was seeing pictures on Facebook ... I
was seeing the worst of it." Luckily, Amore and his father both had
experience using amateur radio. "If any type of emergency happened, we had
a set frequency to communicate," Amore said. "It was a relief to hear from
them."