Old October 5th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.info

Default Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2084 for Friday, October 6 2017

Amateur Radio Newsline Report 2084 for Friday, October 6 2017

Amateur Radio Newsline Report Number 2084 with a release date of
Friday, October 6 2017 to follow in 5-4-3-2-1.

The following is a QST. India does emergency planning with the nation's
hams. Pennsylvania preps for a friendly QSO party -- and a Tennessee
Net does things old school. All this and more as Amateur Radio Newsline
Report 2084 comes your way right now.

(Billboard Cart Here and Intro)

**

INDIAN GOVERNMENT TO HELP HAMS' DISASTER PREP

JIM/ANCHOR: We begin this week's newscast with word that the Indian
government is giving higher priority to ham involvement. The urgent
need for amateur radio operators throughout the year in India,
especially during periods of dangerous weather, has prompted government
leaders to incorporate hams into more of their disaster planning.
Jeremy Boot G4NJH has that report.

JEREMY: Sometime before the end of the year, the government of the
Indian state of Pune expects to roll out an effort to efficiently
coordinate deployment of area ham radio operators through district
collectorates during emergencies such as landslides, earthquakes and
floods and to assist in public safety support during cultural functions
and religious pilgrimages when traffic levels are high.

The state's disaster management director Rajiv Nivatkar outlined the
plan in a recent report in The Times of India, acknowledging that the
project still is unfunded but officials hope to move it forward by the
end of the year.

All state governments have received instructions from the National
Disaster Management Authority asking officials to allocate agencies and
arrange for the training of volunteers.

In the state of Maharashtra, the initiative is already under way in
Sindhudurg where district leaders have trained about 20 amateurs for
such assistance.

An estimated 50,000 ham radio operators are believed to be active
throughout India.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Jeremy Boot G4NJH.

(THE TIMES OF INDIA)

**

COMMUNICATION STATION MARKS 50 YEARS

JIM/ANCHOR: Radio transmissions have always been a mainstay of one
station in western Australia, where communications have occurred in the
low frequency part of the spectrum for half a century. Here's Graham
Kemp VK4BB with the details.

GRAHAM: For 50 years, radio signals have been transmitted at very low
frequencies from an antenna array in western Australia, in an area
covering more than 1 thousand U.S. acres. This is the Harold E. Holt
Naval Communication Station in the shire of Exmouth. Commissioned in
1967, it was transferred in 1992 from the command of the U.S. Navy to
the Royal Australian Navy. Its original purpose was to give the U.S.
Navy the ability to communicate with its submarines and other vessels
in the western Pacific and Indian Oceans.

On the 16th of September, the station marked 50 years of operation in
which it has and continues to play a highly strategic role in the
still-vibrant relationship between the U.S. and Australia, supporting
both nations' military vessels.

Exmouth residents and officials marked the event with a full weekend of
celebrations since the shire's establishment is so tightly linked to
the station's creation a half-century ago.

The station itself operates with 13 towers where the tallest antenna
among the array stands nearly 400 meters above ground.

The station is named for the former Australian prime minister who was
presumed to have drowned mysteriously in 1967 at the age of 59 while
swimming off the coast of Victoria.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Graham Kemp VK4BB.

(WIRELESS INSTITUTE OF AUSTRALIA, THE WEST AUSTRALIAN)

**
ZOMBIE SHUFFLE CONTEST SCARES UP CONTACTS

JIM/ANCHOR: There's a Halloween-themed CW contest later this month and
it's frightful fun -- at least that's what we hear from Don
WilbanksAE5DW.

DON: With Halloween only a few weeks away, we have to ask: do you
believe in zombies? Perhaps when you're on the air you might even be
mistaken for one. No, that's not an insult - it's the description for a
highly prized operating method that comes in quite handy during this
year's Zombie Shuffle on Friday the 20th of October. Zombies, you see,
don't sprint -- they shuffle - hence the name for this eight-hour QRP
contest. It's designed mainly for North and South American operators
using CW and it's marking its 20th year of operations among the undead.
To participate, you'll need to be assigned a Zombie Number, which you
can obtain free. Visit the Amateur Radio Newsline website at
arnewsline.org for details and a link to the page.

Be not afraid! Dust off your key and get out there and scare up some
contacts.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Don Wilbanks AE5DW.

LINK: http://www.zianet.com/qrp/zombie/2017/pg.htm

**
NETS OF NOTE: MOUNT JULIET SIMPLEX NET

JIM/ANCHOR: Our next report is part of our occasional series, Nets of
Note. This week's net meets on 2 meters the old-school way. Simplex!
Here's Neil Rapp WB9VPG with more.

NEIL: On this week's Nets of Note, we take a look at a simplex net near
Nashville, Tennessee. Paul Wieloszynski (Will oh zen ski), K4PEW,
started the Mount Juliet Simplex Net, which has also become a club. The
Mount Juliet Simplex Society is one of two registered ARRL Affiliated
Clubs that focus on simplex communications. The idea for the net
came from Paul's time in New York.

PAUL: I got into ham radio and predominantly ended up on repeaters just
due to the nature of there weren't many places to talk on simplex, nor
did I give it much thought... that was when I was living in Florida. I
moved to New York for a couple of years, Western New York, and there
was just a whole bunch of people talking on simplex. I asked them
about it. I said, "Why don't you just get on the repeater?" They
said, Well, we kind of like the privacy. We don't like the oversight,
so to speak. It's not that they were a nasty group of people, but it
was just easier and simpler just to be on simplex... not bothering
anybody else. And I liked that concept. I picked it up there, and
when I moved to Tennessee, I said I think I'll do the same.

NEIL: One of the things that makes this net different is that it tries
to give Simplextons, as they are called, more than one chance a week to
participate in a fun net because they are often busy.

PAUL: Twice a week is when we meet. And if they want to come in twice
a week, good. If they want to just stop in once a week, good. And
the joke on the net is that we're the only net that I know of that
gives you chance for two opportunities to miss the net.

NEIL: Paul says that there are many ways a simplex net can better
train hams for communicating.

PAUL: Number 1... I've been saying that local simplex nets gets hams
to a) communicate properly, b) understand who can hear them, c)
understands who they can hear. It induces them to build better
stations. And, it builds a local community of hams who are better
prepared to serve the community.

NEIL: The Mount Juliet Simplex Net meets on 146.415 MHz at 8 pm Central
time on Sundays and Wednesdays, and will soon be changing to Saturdays
and Wednesdays. You can find out more at their web site, 146415.net.
For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Neil Rapp, WB9VPG.

**

K2BSA SCOUTS ACTIVATE 6 STATIONS

JIM/ANCHOR: There's no rest for Radio Scouts who are busy activating
the K2BSA call sign at six locations and counting the days until
Jamboree on the Air. Bill Stearns NE4RD has the details.

BILL: This week in radio scouting we're just two weeks away from
Jamboree on the Air. We have 6 activations of the K2BSA callsign
scheduled during JOTA so far, and here they a

Shawn Wolfe, W8SJW, will have K2BSA/3 on from Camp Potomac in
Oldtown,MD.

Elden Morris, N1MN, will have K2BSA/4 on from the Atlanta Area Council
Volunteer Service Center in Atlanta, GA.

Terry Gimble, W5TG, will have K2BSA/5 on from the East Texas Area
Council in Tyler, Tx.

Chris Clark, W6CBC, will have K2BSA/6 on from Camp Emerson in
Idyllwild, CA.

Craig Morrison, N7MHE, will have K2BSA/7 on from the LDS Stake Center
in Moses Lake, WA.

Charles Koehler, N9VJ, will have K2BSA/9 on from the Milwaukee Scout
Service Center in Milwaukee, WI. As of October 1st, there have been
almost 1,900 stations registered internationally and 257 of those are
in the United States. Please get your station registered so that you
can be counted and others can find you. Icom America has once again
this year donated an ID-51A Plus 2 to encourage stations to file their
reports after Jamboreee on the Air. Everyone who files a report will
have their names entered into the drawing. We'll open up the reporting
system on JOTA weekend. For more information on filing your report, see
our website.

It's probably getting a little too late to be host station at this
point, however consider helping an existing station in your area or
help by getting on the radio and working some scouts.

For more information on Jamboree on the Air or Radio Scouting, please
visit our website at www.k2bsa.net.

For Amateur Radio Newsline and the K2BSA Amateur Radio Association this
is Bill Stearns, NE4RD.

**

Time for you to identify your station. We are the Amateur Radio
Newsline heard on bulletin stations around the world including the
NI4SR repeater in Wilmington, North Carolina on Wednesday nights
at8:30.

**

ASTRONAUTS ARE STARS ON NASA TV

JIM/ANCHOR: Some of the stars in the sky are also on television. Three
of them are Space Station astronauts -- and two of them happen to be
hams. Christian Cudnik K0STH has more on this story.

CHRISTIAN: You think there's nothing on TV? Think again! Tune into NASA
Television as well as the NASA website for the latest episode of "hams
in space." Astronauts Mark Vande Hei KG5GNP and Joe Acaba KE5DAR are
going outside the International Space Station along with their
expedition commander Randy Bresnik on the 5th, 10th and 18th of
October. This is strictly a business trip for the three American
astronauts of Expedition 53: they have important station maintenance to
do. Check the NASA website for local times in your part of the world.

While Joe and Randy are veterans of a few spacewalks, this will be the
first for Mark, the flight engineer. Joe will join his two crew
colleagues on the third and final spacewalk on the 18th.

You can watch it all at nasa dot gov forwardslash nasalive
(nasa.gov/nasalive)

Best of all, there'll be no commercial interruptions.

For Amateur Radio Newsline I'm Christian Cudnik K0STH

**

YOU'RE INVITED TO A PENNSYLVANIA QSO PARTY

JIM/ANCHOR: It's the second biggest QSO party in the nation and it will
hit the bands the second weekend in October. Mark Abramowicz (
Abramo-vich ) NT3V has a preview.

MARK'S REPORT: The Pennsylvania QSO Party, run by the Nittany Amateur
Radio Club in State College - the home of Penn State - runs the weekend
of Oct. 14 and 15th.

It's earned the label - the "Friendly QSO Party" - because it
encourages non-contest stations and first-timers to get on the air and
just have some fun making contacts.

In fact, the contesters who do use the PA Party as a tune-up for the CQ
Worldwide SSB contest at the end of the month tend to be a little more
understanding of the newbies and will slow down for the exchanges.

Mike Coslo, N3LI, PA QSO Party chairman, says a club whose members have
a long history of amateur radio contesting will be in charge of the
bonus station operation.

"Frankford Radio Club will be our bonus station," Coslo says. "They're
having their 90th anniversary this year. So it will be multi-station,
multi-call sign, multi-county effort."

And, to mark the occasion, Coslo says the club is going all out to make
its presence heard on the air...

"We'll have their base call, W3FRC, and then some special event call
signs like W3F, W3R, and W3C," Coslo says. "And, this should provide
for a lot of different bonus contacts."

The FRC will activate 17 bonus stations in 15 Pennsylvania counties.

Coslo says, given how propogation is at this time of the year, the 200
points for each bonus station contact per band, per mode can add up...

"The bonus stations, especially the multiple ones, give people a little
something to go after," Coslo says. "So we're pretty excited about
that. It's a bit of an experiment with the different call signs, but it
should work out well."

Coslo says it's not just open to Pennsylvania stations, but anyone
around the country, in Canada, and, yes, even DX.

Look up PA QSO Party in a Google search and that will get you right to
the club's website.

For the Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mark Abramowicz, NT3V, in
Philadelphia.

**
QSOs OF FAITH AND FRIENDSHIP

JIM/ANCHOR: Ever activate a church or a chapel? A number of amateur
radio groups around the world believe it's a great way to call
attention to their churches and the religious community that adds
wattage to their power of the spirit. Here's more from Kevin
TrotmanN5PRE.

KEVIN: From Belgium to New York State in the U.S., and in a great many
counties in the UK, amateur radio operators were sharing their hobby
-and their faith. Churches on the Air, which is run by the World
Association of Christian Radio Amateurs and Listeners, is an annual
global event that makes the world a little bit smaller for a few hours,
connecting people of faith via RF signals and antennas. At the St. Ive
Methodist Church in Cornwall, Mark M0WMB was among those making
contacts with Brazil, Kuwait, Mauritania, Saudi Arabia and Morocco on
the 9th of September as GB5IVE. In New York, the Peekskill Cortlandt
Manor Amateur Radio Association W2NYW operated from Old St. Peter's
Church in Cortlandt Manor, organized by David K2WPM. The New York
church was also marking its 250th anniversary.

As Mark in the UK told a reporter for the Cornish Times, although the
main purpose of any church is for worship, a ham radio activation also
emphasizes the congregation and its importance. [quote] "I believe that
the church is the people, not the building. We are losing so many of
our buildings and it would be good to encourage others to use their
church for events like ours." [ENDQUOTE]

For Amateur Radio Newsline, in Aiken, South Carolina, I'm Kevin
TrotmanN5PRE.

(THE CORNISH TIMES)

**

TUNISIA LEGALIZES INDIVIDUAL LICENSES

JIM/ANCHOR: There are some major changes for amateur radio operators in
Tunisia as we hear from John Williams VK4JJW.

JOHN's REPORT: In Tunisia, only club stations could once be licensed
for amateur radio operations. Now individual Tunisians who pass a
qualifying exam can get a license of their own -- and those who already
have a license from another country can operate legally on the air. All
of this became possible in September under new licensing arrangements
decreed by the nation's Ministry of Telecommunications. Resident
foreigners are also permitted to apply for a license.

The previous regime had viewed individual ham radio operators
unfavorably, according to the website of the International Amateur
Radio Union. A radio association called ARAT was created by young
Tunisians in 2011 following the Jasmin Revolution. ARAT's recognition
by the government encouraged other radio organizations to form. ARAT is
a recognized member of the IARU. ARAT is credited with being one of the
strongest proponents for individual licenses and drafting a document to
create the new licensing system. The group discussed with ASTRA,
another recognized association of Tunisian amateurs, and establishing a
rapport with the ministry and the National Agency of Frequencies.

Last month's decree now appears in the Official Journal of the Tunisian
Republic and new individual license-holders will soon start appearing
on the air.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm John Williams VK4JJW.

(IARU REGION 1)

**
WORLD OF DX

JIM/ANCHOR: In the World of DX, listen for Roly ZL1BQD using the
callsign 4W6RR in East Timor. He is on the air until the 10th of
October mainly on CW and Digital on 20 and 40m. QSL to the home call.

Zorro JH1AJT is leading a group using the callsign A5A from the Kingdom
of Bhutan. Listen for them until the 8th of October on all bands from
160 to 6m using CW, SSB and RTTY. Send QSLs to JH1AJT.

Through the 10th of October, you can work a group of German operators
using the callsign S9YY from San Tome Island. They are on all bands 160
to 10m. QSL through Club Log OQRS.

Christmas Island is being activated by a group of Australian amateurs
using the call sign VK9XI until the 10th of October. They are on all
bands 160 - 10m on SSB, CW and RTTY. Their QSL manager is M0OXO.

And finally, starting Friday, October 6th, you can listen for a trio of
U.S. operators active from Guantanamo Bay. Listen for KG4HH, KG4LA
andKG4HF.

(IRTS)

**

KICKER: ROUNDUP BY RADIO

JIM/ANCHOR: Time to saddle up for our final story which combines ham
radio and.....horse rescue! For that tale, we turn to Mike Askins
KE5CXP.

MIKE'S REPORT: It's no secret that hams are good at finding things.
There are the hidden transmitters deployed in fox hunts. There are
missing persons at massive public gatherings. And then there is the
story of Melody the horse. The mare went missing last month from an
Arizona campground near Sedona where a group of horse owners from
Phoenix had been staying.

This called for a very special kind of roundup - one horse and a team
of amateur radio operators including those from the Verde Valley
Amateur Radio Association. The hams learned of the missing equine
during their regular 7 a.m. meetup on the Knobby Knee Net. Net control
op Bill Burkett KE7IXS took the radio call from one of the campers,
Greg LaCrosse K1GRL, and that set the search in motion - not just on
the ground, but in the air and yes, even in the saddle.

Jeff Upshaw KC7UYY, a local horseman, rode out to the trailhead with
other mounted searchers. Mike Mladejovsky WA7ARK flew in with his
Cessna Skylane aircraft and took Melody's owner Marcy aboard. The
team's search had gone into its 10th fruitless hour when finally Marcy
spotted her horse down below the plane and pilot Mike radioed the
searchers on the ground.

Kenny Westmoreland KG7YVM and Jeff hiked to a flat-topped mountain
where they caught up with Melody and led her to safety. As in all
westerns with happy endings, they headed off together into the sunset.

For Amateur Radio Newsline, I'm Mike Askins KE5CXP.

(VERDE VALLEY NEWSPAPERS)

**

NEWSCAST CLOSE: With thanks to Alan Labs; Amateur News Weekly; the
ARRL; the Associated Press; Churches on the Air; The Cornish Times; CQ
Magazine; The FCC; Hap Holly and the Rain Report; IARU Region 1; Irish
Radio Transmitters Society; K2BSA; NASA; Southgate Amateur Radio News;
Ted Randall's QSO Radio Show; The Times of India; Verde Valley
Newspapers; the West Australian; Wireless Institute of Australia; WTWW
Shortwave; and you our listeners, that's all from the Amateur Radio
Newsline. Please send emails to our address at .
More information is available at Amateur Radio Newsline's only official
website located at
www.arnewsline.org.

For now, with Caryn Eve Murray, KD2GUT, at the news desk in New York,
and our news team worldwide, I'm Jim Damron N8TMW saying 73 and as
always we thank you for listening.

Amateur Radio Newsline(tm) is Copyright 2017. All rights reserved.