Old April 3rd 21, 05:42 AM posted to rec.radio.broadcasting,rec.radio.info

Default [RadioInsight] The Beat Fades In Phoenix Ahead Of Thursday Flip

RadioInsight

The Beat Fades In Phoenix Ahead Of Thursday Flip

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...thursday-flip/

Sierra H Broadcasting Hip Hop 101.1 The Beat KZCE Cordes Lakes/Phoenix
began stunting this morning.

KZCE is currently alternating songs from Notorious B.I.G. and Dr. Dre with
sweepers stating What the hell is happening at 101.1? and Something big is
coming with a new format launch set for 4pm on Thursday, April 1.

The station changed call letters from KNRJ to KZCE in January. Is Program
Director John Candelaria preparing to clone his former Classic Hip Hop The
Bounce brand in Arizona?

Jimmy Malone To Host New Show For WARF & WMJI

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...for-warf-wmji/

After being moved off the morning show at iHeartMedia Classic Hits Majic
105.7 WMJI Cleveland in February after 35 years, Jimmy Malone will debut a
new show for the company on Thursday, April 1.

The Jimmy Malone Show will air on Thursday and Friday mornings on Sports
1350 The Gambler WARF Akron from 6-9am and on WMJI on Saturdays from
630-9am.

Malone joined WMJI as a contributor in 1985 and rose to morning co-host in
1991. His longtime partner John Lanigan will join Malone as a guest on
Friday, April 2.

iHeartMedia Cleveland is proud to announce the debut of “The Jimmy Malone
Show” on Fox Sports 1350 The Gambler/WARF, along with the iHeartRadio App.
The program launches tomorrow, Thursday, April 1, 2021, and will air each
Thursday and Friday morning from 6:00 – 9:00 a.m. In addition, “The Jimmy
Malone Show” will air from 6:30 until 9:00 a.m. each Saturday on Majic
105.7/WMJI.

Each week Jimmy will host conversations with politicians, community and
business leaders, journalists and others, all with the goal to make a
difference in Northeast Ohio. The debut show on April 1st will feature
Ohio Governor Mike DeWine, along with author and justice advocate Andrea
Thome, who is a native Clevelander and wife of former Indians slugger Jim
Thome. Friday’s show reunites Jimmy with his longtime, now retired, radio
partner John Lanigan.

Jimmy Malone, a native Clevelander, has more than 35 years of broadcast
experience. He is an NAB Marconi Award winner for Large Market Personality
of the Year, an inductee into both the Cleveland Association of
Broadcasters Hall of Fame and the Ohio Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Malone’s
most prized accomplishment, however, is the Malone Scholarship Program at
College Now of Greater Cleveland, which annually provides college
scholarships to deserving students. Since its inception, the Malone
Scholarship Program has raised nearly $5 Million Dollars for scholarships.

Bud & Broadway Added To Mornings At WMYL

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...nings-at-wmyl/

MM Bradcasting Country 96.7 Merle WMYL Halls Crossroads/Knoxville TN is
making a morning show change with the addition of Suite Radios Bud
Broadway starting Thursday, April 1.

Bud Broadway will replace the syndicated Wilhite Wall at WMYL. Bud Ford
Jerry Broadway joined Suite Radio in August 2020 after being let go from
Hubbards 92.3 WIL St. Louis earlier in 2020. They’ve previously hosted
mornings and afternoons at “106.1 The Twister” KTGX Tulsa and in the Dothan
AL market at both “B105.3” WECB and 95.5 WTVY.

Ron Meredith has taken another step in the evolution of his Knoxville-based
country brand 96.7 Merle by bringing in The Bud Broadway Morning Show
beginning April 1, 2021. Bud Broadway are the former morning show for WIL
in St. Louis and currently being syndicated by Houston-based broadcast
syndication company SuiteRadio.

“We’ve made a lot of improvements in the 96.7 Merle brand,” said Ron
Meredith. “People are noticing. That has meant a lot of improvement as
our brand has started to climb up in the Knoxville market. We improved the
music and added some great programming elements, but we really have felt
for a long time that the Knoxville country stations have been presenting
weak morning shows that don’t fit this market very well. Putting Bud
Broadway on in East Tennessee elevates the stakes for those weaknesses and
places an authentic and funny morning show in the mix among these country
stations.”

“We’re proud to have Bud Broadway on in Knoxville,” said Pat Fant from
SuiteRadio. “These guys are hands down the funniest and friendliest Country
Radio morning show I have ever heard, and they’re perfect for East
Tennessee.”

Bud Broadway have local family ties to the market. They are also CMA and
ACM trophy recipients for Personality of the Year by both organizations.
The Bud Broadway Show will be available on 96.7 Merle or on their free app
Monday through Friday with a Bud Broadway Saturday Show each weekend.

Brad Lane Returns To Minneapolis As WCCO Brand Manager

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...brand-manager/

Audacy News/Talk 830 WCCO Minneapolis has hired Brad Lane as Brand Manager
effective April 19.

Lane joins WCCO from Good Karma Brands News/Talk 620/103.3 WTMJ and Sports
ESPN Milwaukee 94.5 WKTI Milwaukee where he has served as Program Director
since January 2019. He previously spent two decades in Minneapolis at
Hubbards 1500 KSTP in multiple roles including host, producer, creative
director and PD.

Audacy welcomes Brad Lane as Brand Manager for 830 WCCO (WCCO-AM) in
Minneapolis, effective April 19.

“WCCO Radio serves as an extremely important news brand for the people of
the Twin Cities and the state of Minnesota who rely on us to be
informative, timely, relevant and entertaining,” said Shannon Knoepke,
Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Entercom Minneapolis. “Brad
brings a wealth of experience leading content teams and his leadership and
vision will be instrumental to the success of our station. We’re looking
forward to adding him to the team.

“Im beyond excited for the opportunity to be back in the Twin Cities
programming a station with such a rich legacy, trusted talent and
commitment to excellence,” said Lane. “WCCO has an incredible history and a
bright future; its with a sincere appreciation for the heritage of this
storied brand that I am also thrilled to be a part of its evolution.”

Brad joins Audacy after serving as director of content of Good Karma
Brands’ News/Talk 620 WTMJ/103.3 W277CV and Sports “ESPN Milwaukee” 94.5
WKTI/540 WAUK Milwaukee for the past two years. Lane previously spent
twenty years at Hubbard’s KSTP serving as a host, producer, creative
director and program director.

Cox Promotes Jaleigh Long To VP/Market Manager Of Atlanta & Athens

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...tlanta-athens/

Cox Media Group has promoted Jaleigh Long to VP/Market Manager for their
Atlanta and Athens GA properties.

Long succeeds Rob Babin who was promoted to SVP/Radio for the company in
January. She has been with Cox Atlanta since 2014, first as General Sales
Manager and since 2017 as Director of Sales. She previously had a seven
year stint as General Sales Manager for South Central Communications in
Evansville In. Long also worked as an Account Executive for Susquehanna
Radio in Indianapolis.

Cox Media Group (“CMG”) today announced the appointment of Jaleigh Long as
Vice President & Market Manager, Atlanta & Athens Radio, effective
immediately. Long assumed the role in an interim capacity earlier this year
and will now officially lead one of the industry’s most notable and
successful*radio*sales organizations CMG Atlanta Radio (News 95.5
WSB,*B98.5 FM,*97.1 FM The River,*KISS 104.1 FM). She will oversee all
station departments, including programming, promotions, sales, digital,
engineering, production, and community affairs.

Long joined CMG Atlanta Radio in 2014 as General Sales Manager. Previously,
she was with South Central Media in Evansville, IN. for seven years as
General Sales Manager and she started her media career in Indianapolis as
an Account Executive for Susquehanna Radio.

“This is an exciting time for CMG Radio, and I am, and continue to be,
energized by our people,” said Rob Babin, SVP, CMG Radio. “We are very
excited to announce Jaleigh as Vice President / Market Manager.*She has an
incredible track record of leading the CMG Atlanta Radio team as Director
of Sales and successful leadership collaboration with CMG peers. Jaleighs
commitment and passion for her team and our industry are known by all who
work with Jaleigh; I look forward to her impact in this new role.”

“I am abundantly proud and honored to lead this group of industry-defining
stations,” said Long. “The great work we do in all areas of the business
every day is making an impact on our audiences, advertisers and communities
we serve. The power of radio is exhilarating and fortunately we get to
experience that firsthand each day through the powerful programming,
compelling promotions and important community initiatives that define and
underscore CMG’s Purpose.”

Long is a graduate of the University of Southern Indiana.

Fresh Listen: The UKs Capital vs. Kiss

https://radioinsight.com/ross/206670...pital-vs-kiss/

It began in February with writing a 25th birthday tribute to WKTU New York.
Suddenly, I was wondering whether a dance/CHR would work in New York, and
if it was the right time musically. By putting multiple dance records in
play at one time, WKTU gave Mainstream CHR something to own for a year or
so until teen pop and the return of crossover Hip-Hop created multiple
musical strongholds.*

CHR needs to get something going again. But dance is still relatively
throttled here. There are two-three songs seemingly competing for a single
radio slot, even after a year of Dua Lipa throwback disco. It’s not unlike
the pre-WKTU time in the U.S., when Eurodance could break one “Rhythm Is a
Dancer” or “Another Night” or “Mr. Vain” at a time. But there’s a lot of
viable dance pop around the world, and if you don’t want to wait to hear
those songs in a CHR radio context, there’s always the UK’s Top 40 battle.*

I went back to the UK’s mainstream CHR Capital FM for the first time in a
while because of one specific record: Majestic vs. Boney M.’s “Rasputin,” a
current hit remix of the goofball 1979 history lesson from Frank Farian’s
pre-Milli Vanilli studio act. Boney M.’s original “Rasputin” was a hit
everywhere other than the U.S. Having it back was bizarre enough that one
UK radio person tweeted a picture of their Capital metadata display while
it was playing. Listening to Capital prompted a Fresh Listen to rival Kiss
as well.

As with the UK’s tightly spaced Classic Hits/gold-based AC stations, Kiss
and Capital often dart back and forth across each other’s musical
positions. Kiss (“The Beat of the UK”) is currently in the classic Rhythmic
Top 40 position — lots of dance pop, but also drawing from the UK’s Hip-Hop
boom and from TikTok pop. Capital, although using the “UK’s No. 1 Hit Music
Station” positioner, was about 80% dance pop when I listened this afternoon.

Both stations are competing for the dance franchise. For the holiday
weekend, Capital is staging the “Capital Weekender” from the roof of its
building, with DJs and producer/artists including Jax Jones and Shane Codd.
Kiss, in conjunction with its Kisstory and Kiss Fresh side channels, has a
55-hour virtual “Easter Weekend Kiss Fest,” including Joel Corry, Fatboy
Slim, and Idris Elba.*

Both stations are also doing a variant of the classic “don’t say hello”
cash call. The afternoon I heard it, Capital gave away £25,000 to a texter
for answering “Capital, give me the cash.” Kiss is part of a contest across
four of owner Bauer Media’s networks where the correct way to answer was
“make me a winner.” The promo I heard was teasing a £65,000 prize.*

Here’s Capital on March 31, 2021 just before 3 p.m.:*

Jax Jones/AuRa, “I Miss U”
Anne-Marie x KSI x Digital Farm Animals, “Don’t Play”
Doja Cat, “Say So”
Shane Codd, “Get Out My Head”
Justin Bieber, “Hold On” (Bieber’s uptempo-but-slow-starter is front-sold
as “a little moment of chill”)
Major Lazer f/Nyla & Fuse ODG, “Light It Up”
Riton x Nightcrawlers f/Mufasa & Hypeman & Dopamine, “Friday”
The Kid Laroi, “Without You”
Topic f/A7S, “Breaking Me”
James Arthur, “Medicine”
MK f/Carla Monroe, “2AM”
Tiesto, “The Business”
Ariana Grande, “34+35”
Jax Jones & Bebe Rexha, “Harder”
KSI f/Yungblud & Polo G, “Patience”
Martin Jensen, “Solo Dance”

Here’s Kiss at the same time:

Bruno Mars & Anderson.Paak & Silk Sonic, “Leave the Door Open”
Shane Codd, “Get Out My Head”
Internet Money f/Don Tolliver, “Lemonade”
Ava Max, “My Head & My Heart”
AJ Tracey, “Anxious”
Loud Luxury f/Brando, “Body”
Dua Lipa, “We’re Good”
Navos, “Believe Me”
Pop Smoke, “What You Know ‘Bout Love”
Anne Marie x KSI x Digital Farm Animals, “Don’t Play”
Usher f/Will.I.Am, “OMG”
Meduza f/Dermot Kennedy, “Paradise”
Central Cee, “Commitment Issues”
Justin Bieber, “Hold On”
Paul Woolford & Diplo f/Kareem Lomax, “Looking for Me”
Masked Wolf, “Astronaut in the Ocean”
Tiesto, “The Business”
SZA, “Good Days” (back-sold with the line “three minutes every day with
that song will give your brain the break it deserves”)*

WHLL Enters The Hall Of Fame

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-hall-of-fame/

Audacy has rebranded Country 98.1 Nash Icon 1450 WHLL/98.1 W251CT
Springfield MA as Hall of Fame Country 98.1.

The move quietly took place last week as the station dropped the last
vestige of its previous Cumulus ownership. Cumulus had launched the format
in December 2018 on the former Sports 1450 The Hall just months prior to it
being included in a multi-market swap with the then-Entercom.

WHLL continues to feature a broader Country playlist stretching from the
90s through now. Mark Harris continues to host mornings, while the rest of
the lineup will now come from Audacys other Country stations including
their national Katie Company hosted by WNSH New Yorks Katie Neal in
middays, WNSHs Jesse Addy in afternoons, and the national Rob Holly based
at WYCD Detroit at night.

WHLLs branding comes from Springfield being the home of the Basketball Hall
of Fame.

WLEY-FM Adds El Show de Erazno y La Chokolata

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...-la-chokolata/

SBS Regional Mexican La Ley 107.9 WLEY-FM Aurora/Chicago IL is adding the
syndicated “El Show de Erazno y La Chokolata” for afternoons and evenings
from 4-9pm.

Spanish Broadcasting System, Inc. (“SBS”) (OTCQX: SBSAA), the leading
minority certified, Hispanic multimedia and entertainment company in the
U.S., announced that it will air the popular Spanish-language syndicated
program “El Show de Erazno y La Chokolata” on its owned and operated
Regional Mexican station WLEY LA LEY 107.FM in Chicago.

“Oswaldo Diaz’s El Show de Erazno y La Chokolata, is by far one of the most
entertaining and influential syndicated Spanish-language radio programs in
the country,” said Carlos San Jose, General Manager, WLEY 107.9 FM. “We’re
beyond excited to carry his iconic show, which is known as the ‘King of
Parodies’ on our premier FM station – “La Que Manda en Chicago” (The Ruler
of Chicago). It will absolutely be a treat for Chicago’s vibrant Latino
community.”

“It’s an honor to have Erazno y La Chokolota to be a part of the history of
a legacy station,” said Oswaldo Diaz, the voice(s) behind Erazno y La
Chokolata. “It’s awesome to partner with a Latino powerhouse company like
Spanish Broadcasting System and I can’t wait to bring more laughter and fun
to Latinos in the Windy City.”

El Show de Erazno y La Chokolata can be heard on La Ley 107.9FM WLEY
Chicago daily Monday through Friday from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.

The only way to describe the “Erazno y la Chokolata” show is through the
crying laughing emoji. This hilarious radio program is the #1 most listened
to PM Spanish show in key Hispanic markets, reaches over 2.5 million
Latinos 18-49 nationwide, and covers 76% of the Hispanic DMA.

El Sembrador Ministries Enters Chicago

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/2...nters-chicago/

El Sembrador Ministries is acquiring Spanish Christian 1110 WMBI Chicago
from the Moody Bible Institute of Chicago.

WMBI, which currently airs Moodys Spanish Christian Radio Moody network,
will switch to El Sembradors ESNE Radio upon closing. The network airs on
nine stations, mostly on the west coast fulltime including 1460 KTYM Los
Angeles, 1040 KURS San Diego, and 1340 KDCO Denver.

El Sembrador will pay $1.2 million for WMBI and the Construction Permit for
106.3 W292GB Chicago. The station is a daytimer operating with 4.2kW.

El Sembrador Ministries programming does air part-time in the Chicago
market on Newswebs 750 WNDZ Portage IN. WNDZ carries the ESNE Radio
programming on a brokered basis between 10am and 12pm and 1pm to sign-off
until the purchase closes.

Moody had announced its plans to sell its three AM licenses back in July
2019.