RadioBanter

-   Info (https://www.radiobanter.com/info/)
-   -   The future of shortwave? (https://www.radiobanter.com/info/72456-re-future-shortwave.html)

Blue Cat June 8th 05 06:19 AM

The future of shortwave?

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
I am interested in the latest views on this topic.

What do you think - has shortwave got a future?

Views/links to articles would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Operating an international shortwave station requires a huge budget.
Governments and religious organizations have had the budgets and the
missions historically to run them. There have been commercial broadcasters,
such as WRNO and WNYW, but they have either folded or taken to renting their
facilities to religious and political broadcasters. International shortwave,
once popular in the 1930's in the U. S., only has a few American
enthusiasts. International broadcasters know that, and have redirected their
programs to satellite and internet streaming. Shortwave is still popular in
the Third World, and there will be stations to satisfy that market.

The tropical shortwave station, usually operating in the 90 or 60 meter
band, is generally a domestic broadcast taking advantage of lower static
interference and a larger coverage area. Here too, in some countries, it is
giving way to FM on vhf frequencies.

[email protected] June 8th 05 06:19 AM

On 2005-06-06 said:
I am interested in the latest views on this topic.
What do you think - has shortwave got a future?
Views/links to articles would be very much appreciated.

I"m not sure if this article will make it to rec.radio.broadcasting
as I'm not sure how to email articles for moderator approval these
days. HOwever here are my thoughts, so I hope you read the other
groups you crossposted to.

sHortwave will still have a decent future ahead, especially for
broadcasting in most of the developing world. YOu see streaming audio
and net connections are not as ubiquitous as some of us might think.
I still listen to the BBC now and then and other broadcasters over a
radio, not through a net connection. for many in the developing world
technologies such as the freeplay crank it up radios will offer
shortwave where a net connection is not available to them.

See back issues of POpular COmmunications and read the appropriate
columns for similar views. I don't have links, I read the magazine.

73

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions
--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Dan June 8th 05 06:19 AM

- Amen!

do like the variety of Shortwave;

Planet World News on WBCQ was pretty good..
BBC Radio, China International,
Radio Canada, Radio New Zealand, Radio Australia..
Heck ! Even WWCR & ALEX Jones have something to add..

As a Kid I read George Orwells "1984" ( maybe onece too often)

In 2005 we have Fox News & "BubbleVision" ( FNN) filled with Models
reading off teleprompters & Smug men with Dyed brown hair..

Heck, give me "Financial Survival 2000" anyday..

jon June 8th 05 06:19 AM

Greetings Mike! No articles just my 2 cents worth. Most people when
asked this question think only in terms of the USA. At 300 million
population we are a drop in the bucket. Shortwave will continue, but
the market and target audience will change IMHO. We are seeing the
table top radios of yesteryear gone as the largest world markets cannot
afford them. Hense, the rise in the cheap portables that are flooding
the world market. The far east and Africa will, and are becoming the
target audience as they are growing faster, and are more politically
unstable. Every nation or interested party wants to get their voices
heard in those regions. Let me not forget central and South America as
well. Long live shortwave I think. The real question is what will it
look like even ten years down the road. Have a great week! Jon.

Ian Smith June 8th 05 06:19 AM

"Mike Terry" wrote in message
I am interested in the latest views on this topic.

What do you think - has shortwave got a future?

Views/links to articles would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

I sincerely hope it has.

For many, shortwave is the only place to obtain uncensored news.
Governments don't like such freedom of information, which is why we
should.