RadioBanter

-   Moderated (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/)
-   -   Emergency power alternatives (https://www.radiobanter.com/moderated/170524-re-emergency-power-alternatives.html)

Wayne Lundberg February 26th 07 08:15 PM

Emergency power alternatives

"Bill Horne, W1AC" wrote in message
Fellow ham,

A post from LA4RT has made me realize that "Human powered" power
generation is too narrow a scope for this discussion, so I'm starting a
new thread.

Let's hear ideas about alternative sources of power for radios: we might
be unable to find steam-driven units ;-) but there's always more that
one way to skin a cat.

I'll ask that some methods be omitted, for the reasons shown:

1. Portable generators - too expensive, and they can't go on airplanes.
2. Solar - can't rely on sunlight, especially after a
weather-related incident.

There are probably designs for power generation in undeveloped areas, so
let's see pointers to that kind of info along with the "Store bought"
machines.

Bill

--
73,

Bill W1AC

-------

Way back when car generators were true generators, we built a tower, put a
drone target propeller on a generator, put three car batteries with a
standard controller and used it to power our huge vacuum tube radio receiver
in Veracruz, Mexico.

We could pick up Del-Rio, and that's about it. Certainly not enough juice to
power a transmitter.

But think wind power and batteries to accumulate enough energy to maybe work
for a while.

Until a Sterling engine can be built cheap enough to pack it into the field
then use a campfire for power.... I'm voting for the Sterling as a future
source in that it can use reflected solar onto a pinpoint external
combustion device, as well as a fire, a candle, a kerosene lamp, gasoline, a
torch, an LP tank and nozzle... very, very versatile.

Wayne